Hand cranking engine??

TIMS87GN

What is the best way to hand crank the engine? I am replacing the Valve springs soon and I don't want to wear out my starter bumping it over. Can it be turned by the intercooler fan? Will this damage it? Or should I just go and remove the intercooler and turn the crank with a socket? Any advice would be helpful.

You can use the innercooler fan with no worry 'bout damaging it, but be VERY careful not to slice your hands up:eek: To make it easier, pull all the plugs out so your not turning the engine against compression or suction, especially since you are going to have the rocker shafts off. Mark

You can also use a 13mm closed end wrench on the fan and pulley bolts but still watch out for the slicing of fingers and arms down in there.

This is what I used to do the springs and it makes setting the cam sensor as if you have long arms like me you can reach over from the PS and feel the #1 rocker through the oil fill hold and easily find TCD for #1.

Thanks for the reply guys. Did you guys remove the intercooler? or did you reach behind it? I think it can be done w/o removing it. What do you think? Thanks for the warning about the sharp edges. I'll wear gloves!

You can also use a 1/2 rachet and appropriate socket on the alternator nut. The only catch is that you can only turn it in the rotation of the motor. The other way will cause the belt to slip. For me this is way easy as its high and i can keep my positin as i work.

I second the alternator pulley idea. It will work. If you have to go "backwards", you can sometimes get away with pinching the belt around the pulley. Otherwise, it's gotta go clockwise - belt slips the other way.

Jim

I agree with the alt method. I did that. Just pull all spark plugs first and it'll turn smoothly.

Just wanted to update you guys. I finally finished the valve spring swap and drove it for the first time today. The car seems to idle better and definitely pulls stronger upstairs! Next item will be to put the stall in (2800 Art Carr). I hope to have that in the next week. Thanks again for the help guys!!