Had my Stereo System DBed this past weekend

8UWITH6

Keepin' The Shiny Side Up
Well, here in Pitt we had a car show at my school. They had a free drive through deal errr, "competition" where they put the sensor in your car while you play a song and measure the DBs. I had both the Buicks there so I said what the hell, and pulled the T-type through.

The car has a Rockford CD/MP3 Head Unit, stock 3.5"s, 4" PPI's in the door, Boston Rally by9s in the rear, and 3-10" DVC RF Punches in a sealed box below the rear deck over the axle housing. I have 4 gauge wire to the trunk, a Punch 200IX pushing the 3-10s, and a Punch 40x2 pushing the by9s with a 1 farad capacitor. Everything but the PPIs in the doors and the head unit are about 3yrs old or more, its the same stereo that came out of my old 88 Monte SS.

With a crappy rap song (I know I know) I hit 127 DBs. They had a "bass CD" or "test CD" but they couldnt find it for some reason. They kinda rushed me, so I wasnt able to find the song I wanted that I know would "hit harder" because of my 100+ track MP3 CDs. I was just wondering from a street stereo what kind of number 127 represents. I know its not outrageous, but I like I clean crisp stereo system that hits hard and fast, not that rattles the car apart. Im not that framiliar with DB readings, but Id say I could probably get the system to hit close to 140ish??? I wish they woulda had that darn test CD.......................any thoughts? Just curious. Thanks

All in all, thats not a bad score with what you have and the track you played. Congrats!

First off, 127db for 'just listening to music' is plenty loud. Loud listening is ~90-100dB. As far as any competion goes, you would loose against most all SQ cars with that db. But don't worry, the music you had is to blame partly. If you had a disk doing a sweep you maybe could of gotten a low 130's had u ran a sweep. My SS did a 136.6 with my single IDMAX and ZR360, but then again, that amp has a whole lot more power and that sub has competition from only a handful of other subs (of course I spent A LOT more $$ than you. lol).

I don't think 140s would be possible with your current setup. Keep in mind though, 3dB increase is twice as loud, so going from 127 to 140 is a HUUUUUGE difference. You would probably see a nice increase if you got a more powerful amp. An upgrade in the subs to RF's next level would help a whole lot as well. But if your not wanting to rattle everything to death or compete you don't need that IMO. 127 is already well over the damaging to ears threshold. lol

Keep your eye out for another comp like that and go again and hopefully they will have their test CD so you can get a more accurate reading. If you want to just get a more impressive number, have them place the mic by the pass kick panel and roll your drivers side window down or open the door, it could help. Then again, thats not an accurate measure unless you are in an Outlaw class or something like that. But hey, bragging rights is bragging rights. :)

Thanks for the info.......the windows were up, doors closed. He held the meter down low on the passenger floor board. Pretty cool stuff.........

I think Ill keep it, it only took me a year to find one in good working order! BTW, mcss383, I have a Punch 50x1 Power Amp (they grey ones) which is 1 channel mono.......however, I fried it when I was running ~ 2/3 of an ohm on those 3- DVC 10s. I was told it could handle it, but found out later that 1 ohm is the lowest on the amp. Oops. Still have it though, think I should get it repaired? It was a great amp back in the day.............

I would definatly get it looked at and see how much it would cost to get it fixed. I wouldn't try to go through RF though, hit up your local shops and see if they know anyone who repairs amps. Heck one of the shops might be able to do it (Audio Video here in town does repairs)