gutting doors

I can tell you how I did it...This car.:smuggrin:
Find the outline of the welds at the latch end. Drill them out, then trace the outline of the end of the beam. Cut around it. [Actually, I just cut a "door" there, and used it to remove the beam.]
On the hinge end, I reached in and cut the beam off w/ a ziz wheel.
Once the beam is out, I welded the piece of the latch end back in, put a skim coat on it, and repainted.
Power locks, door beam = 28#'s out.
SR71 magazine001.jpg

remove the guides at top , remove the nylon guide and the 10mm screws and remove glass ,
for room to work and get the bar out easier remove the glass stops , the main vertical track and the dew strip
slide a plate of steel or thick aluminum between the bar and the door and use a plasma cutter ,
cut where the bar is only single layer of steel (theres three layers in the center)
you may have to pull the foam balls off the back but you can slide the latch end up through the top and slide the bar out.
i removed door beams , concert speakers and the rubber strip at bottom of door , sealed it up with a sheet of plastic ...loss of 32#

Attachments

• 0403152109.jpg
    0403152109.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 0403152110.jpg
    0403152110.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
dont have a plasmacutter thought maybe about taking of the door skin and then cutting the beam out