guess who has the worlds fastest single turbo Buick?

I thought Ingersoll ran a faster time than this on his single turbo....

I distinctly recall him running twins low 7's, then getting banned, then running a single turbo even faster, getting banned, then him getting pissed and quitting the turbo scene....

That is *not* to say the 7.7x pass isn't fast. :) Good job, congrats on your car...

Uh, why don't you call him yourself? Given that he did his rig in the 80's without the benefit of the modern ECU's and other gadgetry we use today, I think his efforts were impressive as well...

I recall his ET as a 6.9x. Scott Simpson used to have the article and info as I recall.

As I mentioned, I'm glad you got your car down into the 7's.. Not many people can do it (even if they have the proper funding). LC wasn't the fastest though, Ingersoll was.

Yes, Ingersoll was the fastest. But his car weighed less than Billy's. Today's modern ECUs help us get the AFRs right. But if you have the full support of Buick Motorsports ($$$ in the day), unlimited dyno time (and $$$) and an entire team of engineers at your disposal, tuning is not an issue. Billy is doing this on his dime, with his own tuning skills and has only scratched the surface of the potential of his car. :cool:

To quote a well-respected fast/fast Turbo Buick Driver- "Billy and his new setup have the potential to be the first Turbo Regal to (undisputably) be in the sixes." Ingersoll supposedly went in the sixes on a few passes, one day in Rockingham...but these passes were never documented in print nor were they done during an official event. As such, the only "proof" I have is (A) Buddy's word and (B) the word of Mike Christensan who was on the Buick "support team" for that car. The buzz about Buddy's car died when even the IHRA wouldn't let him run.:(

Great job !!!! I seem to remember seeing Jimmy Ds car going 7.61 @ 179.42 at a turbo club of america event in englishtown NJ He qualified # 1 Kenny D was # 2 qualifier,,Also about Ingersols car remember that was a twin turbo Bill,Conley and Jim did it with single turbo!!!So as far as I see it Jims is still the quickest but Bills is the fastest.But surely Bill will gain the ET record soon also.

Also remember Jims car ran those ets and mph in 1996 with M&A street heads no stage 2s and also with a powerglide with lockup.90 mm turbo

Actually, Ingersoll's car was only a twin turbo for a few passes. They found they could go faster with one large turbo. When it was a twin, it was running 7.5-7.4. The big (1) hairdryer eventually netted the 6.9x @ 20X MPH.

Incidently, I provided Buddy's phone number to Billy so that he could "pick his brain". Hopefully, Buddy relinquished some details.:)

Scott,

Thanks for all the information regarding your Buddy=)!
Do you have any specific information about the turbo he was running and the weight of the car?

In 1986 it weighed 2,400 pounds. At the beginning of the season he ran 7.70s...so the NHRA was going to let him run Pro Stock cuz he looked competitive, but I don't recall if it ever happened.

By the end of the year he ran a 7.20 @~198 in IHRA qualifying. He beat Trick-Ricky Smith in the Semi-Finals which pissed off Ricky (who had cut a light on Buddy) and it was Tricky-Ricky that cried foul. Buddy lost to "newcomer" Bob Glidden in the Final...

I also seem to recall there being an issue with IHRA races getting on television. Ford was the likely commercial sponsor but they didn't want a Buick putting them to shame. It was after the IHRA debacle (and the USHRA and UDRA affairs) in some testing and tuning that he ran the big, big numbers.

Back in the mid 80's I don't believe there was a consistent turbo-size nomenclature as they were exotic playtoys in the racing world. The turbo Buddy ran was something that AirResearch custom made for Formula 1 racing...somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty-THOUSAND dollars!:eek: :eek:

hey bill

Bill I was wondering what were your 60ft, 330, and 1/8mile times and speed on that killer pass.

Also do you think that turbo that you are running could be spooled up with a PG trans. on a pro tree?

Richie

going from memory...1.16 60ft 4.94 at 144, don't know 330. The clutch never coupled until 3.2 seconds into the run ( you can look at the mph and see the ET should have been better).
I can spool it to 20psi in less than a second, I seriously doubt a glide will get it up at all.

Bill and Richie,

What is the biggest turbo you can get to spool on with an auto.
How is the new 91mm from PT? How is Dale Cherry doing with the 101mm on his car?

You can all be proud!

You guys are doing amazing things with your cars. Deserve all the congratulations you receive. Enjoy it while you can there is another fast one around the corner. I don't know many of you, wish I did. I have been away from Buicks for a while and it's nice to read these sites. From the begining to now it is amazing the progress you all have made. One thing to remember all the early guys, got the ball rolling for the parts you have now. In my opinion the one who is astounding is John Galina and Marka. They are setting the world on its ear with rules and regulations. Dealing with NHRA in it's self is enough to run most competitors away. Just remember you heard it here, Kenny and John will be in the sevens in 2004. GUARANTE IT.

You all are doing great things, be proud.
Just my ten cents worth.
MOORE BOOST!!!!!

John S. in the 7s or 6s next year with his Rivera, but who is Kenny?

If you are talking about Kenny Duttweiler and John Galina in "John's Car" they were in the 7s last year.
7.93 @ 178

Maybe my medication is wearing off, let me know what you are talking about. =)

Yes John And Kenny

They didn't get in the sevens at a NHRA event. I believe it was 8.04. I was just talking about when there are some weight to cubes, limits. I could be wrong.