GTA's

dart21

I installed a set of GTA rims on my GN (front rim to rear, rear to front, with spacers size? and 12x1.5 lug nuts) tires are 245x50 16R'S all around. I am concerned with the lug nuts because they only turn a couple of threads making the ride unsafe. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? How should I run this set up? :confused:

If you're running spacers, than you should have swapped out your wheel studs for longer ones.

Another thing to consider is the lug nut itself. The stock GN lug nuts might not have the proper seat on them to sit into the "nest" on the GTA wheels correctly.

You should actually run 4 fronts. The offset of the rears causes you to have to run spacers, which as you've found out do not give you enough stud for the lug nuts. You could change the studs out, but I think finding another pair of fronts would be eaiser. I run 4 fronts on one of my cars with 245/50's up front and 255/50's out back. The fronts only rub a little at lock, but my car does have Hotchkins springs which lower it about 1 1/2 inches. HTH
John

If you'd like to keep the set of GTA's you have now instead of looking for 2 more fronts, and you don't feel like going through the trouble of swapping wheel studs, you could try what I did with my wheels. Buy wheel "adapters", not spacers. Same idea as a spacer expect the adapter itself has it's own studs, so you can bolt the adapter down safely on the car's studs and then bolt the wheels to the adapter, and you won't have to worry about only catching two or three threads with the lugnut.

Attachments

• 5450-5450-2.jpg
    5450-5450-2.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 283
According to the website I'm looking at, GTA wheel backspacing is 4.75" front and 5.25" rear. If I were you, I'd buy either a 1" adapter, bringing the rear wheel BS down to 4.25", or even a 1.5" adapter. 3.75" backspacing, 4.25" "Front"spacing, from the outside of the car it'd look like the rear wheels stick out as far as if they were 8.5" wide. I think if you spaced them like that, you'd have the usual GNX wheels but you'd have a pretty unique staggered look. Hell, you COULD even run 2" spacers, fill up the wheel well as if the wheels were 9.5" wide. All depends on how you want it to look, the adapters give you all those options.

I dunno if you're familiar with all the wheel measurements etc, if the numbers are getting a little confusing, I'll help you pick the right adapters from the vendor I used. They're $80 for a pair, much better than hunting down another set of front GTAs in my opinion.

Here's how my wheels look with the adapters. These wheels were NEVER meant to fit a GN.

Attachments

• tbforums.jpg
    tbforums.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 284
I was under the impression that the front backspacing is 4 3/8". I'm running .60" hubcentric spacers on the back of my dad's GN which looks pretty good. Fills the wheel well just about right.

If you upgrade the front end to 12" brakes, the rears will fit nearly perfectly without spacers because the Baers and 1LE brakes will space the wheels out about 3/8".

Or longer studs. Adapters aren't as critical on the front, because there is only braking forces to deal with. In back you have accelleration AND braking forces that can work a spacer loose and lead to stud failure.

Turbo6Chicago said:
According to the website I'm looking at, GTA wheel backspacing is 4.75" front and 5.25" rear. If I were you, I'd buy either a 1" adapter, bringing the rear wheel BS down to 4.25", or even a 1.5" adapter. 3.75" backspacing, 4.25" "Front"spacing, from the outside of the car it'd look like the rear wheels stick out as far as if they were 8.5" wide. I think if you spaced them like that, you'd have the usual GNX wheels but you'd have a pretty unique staggered look. Hell, you COULD even run 2" spacers, fill up the wheel well as if the wheels were 9.5" wide. All depends on how you want it to look, the adapters give you all those options.

I dunno if you're familiar with all the wheel measurements etc, if the numbers are getting a little confusing, I'll help you pick the right adapters from the vendor I used. They're $80 for a pair, much better than hunting down another set of front GTAs in my opinion.

Here's how my wheels look with the adapters. These wheels were NEVER meant to fit a GN.
How is the steering with the adapters? And which company did you order from?

UNGN said:
If you upgrade the front end to 12" brakes, the rears will fit nearly perfectly without spacers because the Baers and 1LE brakes will space the wheels out about 3/8".

Or longer studs. Adapters aren't as critical on the front, because there is only braking forces to deal with. In back you have accelleration AND braking forces that can work a spacer loose and lead to stud failure.
So you would advise a set of adapters up front and longer studs out back?

I too am running wheel adapters from Lugnut King. Tires at all four corners are 245/50-16. I am running "rear" GTA wheels on the front with a 1.5 inch wheel adapters and "front" GTA wheels on the rear of the car with 1 inch wheel adapters. Suspension is stock GM with no modifications.

Setup fits perfect with no rubbing. The spacers move the wheels out towards the fender lips and provide a superb look. Car steers, drives and rides properly.

vintageracer said:
I too am running wheel adapters from Lugnut King. Tires at all four corners are 245/50-16. I am running "rear" GTA wheels on the front with a 1.5 inch wheel adapters and "front" GTA wheels on the rear of the car with 1 inch wheel adapters. Suspension is stock GM with no modifications.

Setup fits perfect with no rubbing. The spacers move the wheels out towards the fender lips and provide a superb look. Car steers, drives and rides properly.
Thanks for the informative response! I had originally put the rears up front (with spacers) because I have heard of everyone else using this set up, but what are the real benefits of running with the rears to the front and vice versa?

Get shanked lug nuts guys, its a lot easier, costs you 20 bux vs 100. 7/16" or 1/2" spacer on the "rear" GTA wheels on the front of the car with shanked lug nuts........... problem solved :)