GT-35 are they coming?

big_buick

student of speed
I've been holding off on buying a turbo for a while now cause i keep hearing about the GT technology. I know the gt32 is out and has good results and the gt35 is the next step up. Several posts talk about them and say there coming then nothing.
Where they tested and found not optimal for buicks? I know the pt61/gt61 has just the gt35 compressor wheel (right?) is it not availible with a small enough exhaust side?

I don't know alot about turbo building i assume theres more to fitting it to a gn then making a 3 bolt housing but id like a little insight. Thanks

I also realize theres no magic turbo and id be just fine with a TE style but if im gonna spend the money anyway.....

PT does have a couple out it testing.
You might be able to get one on the DL.

For some reason the GT35 with the 3bolt round exhaust hausting like our GNs have just doesn't work well. I tested one with a new designed exhaust housing of varying sizes and the spoolup just wasn't quick enough, with a very high stall convertor it would be, but if you're going to get that high of a stall convertor you should just get a bigger turbo than a GT35. From a 20mph roll, flooring would not result in any power until you hit about 50mph, then it would smoke the tires, this was with a 61 compressor wheel. The 35 part refers to the exhaust wheel.
This was with a 2700 stall convertor. I ended up going with another experiemental turbo which was a GT61 compressor wheel with a 31E exhaust wheel and ran the times and 60' in sig.
This is the same turbo as the PT61 that PTE sells, just with a smaller exhaust wheel, I thinkt eh PT61 has a 52 exhaust wheel standard on it.

Thanks for the info guys.
I'm intrigued by the idea of a Pt61 with the smaller exhaust that would save me on a new converter ( I have a 2700-2800 d-5). unless more stall would still help...how was the spool?

Is the 31 similar to the exhaust wheel on like a TE44 or something?

Where did you buy this turbo?

I've got a 2700 stall D5, and it would probably be perfect with a 3k stall. I pulled the 1.66 60' with it. If I start to build boost right when the 2nd stage light comes on, and build boost to 12# and go without looking at the tree I end up with a .9 - 1.2 reaction time, so thats why I say a 3k stall would let me hit 12# of boost sooner and be able to watch the lights.
I got it from PTE, and it will cost slightly more than a base PT61. Harry is doing some more testing with it, so you may have to ask for it specifically as his sales people probably won't know about it just yet. I love it, it build boost fine on the street, and can smoke the tires off from 10-50mph punch. Its referred to as a 6131E, but it has the newer GT61 compressor wheel.

Hey Rob.....

Are you running the pte or a garret housing? Also, how much boost was running to run those times?

Re: Hey Rob.....

Originally posted by getchasum
Are you running the pte or a garret housing? Also, how much boost was running to run those times?
I'm not sure its its a true PTE housing or not. It has characteristics of both. The true PTE housings I've seen before had 4 bolts holding it to the center section and Garrets had 6, this one has 6, but has "Precision" cast into it. I know the GT35 housing I tried was complately redesigned from the previous, not sure if that was carried into this one I have now or not.
That pass was on 24-25# of boost and 24 degrees of timing w/C116.
I'm getting an alky kit this week, hopefully will get it on and do some dyno tuning next weekend or the next with it and will have some hp#s once I get it dialed in on 93 pump gas and alky, then will be at a 1/4 mile track on March 5, so I should have some #'s to post back then.

Rob, I didn't see in your sig if you had ported heads. Either way really good eighth mile times. I will soon be looking for a turbo in the 61, 62 range, but I'm guessing the new technology is quite a bit more $$ and sounds like not completely tested. I've searched around and not found enough info to justify buying even the GT61.

If you get that progressive methanol system, you really like that. I've ran that with a TA 61 and even a 66 Q-trim and it flat out works. Looking forward to your track results and any more info on this new turbo.... very interesting and helpful to potential buyers.

No ported heads, in fact its all 100% original never taken apart except for timing chain and valve springs.
Just got the methanol injection hooked up this weekend. I'll have it on the dyno this next Saturday if the weather is nice, tuning it in. I've got the baseline boost up to 25# with pump gas and no knock. I will tune on the dynp for 23-24# to keep it "safer". Its pig rich right now at WOT with it.
The 6131E mentioned, is only slightly more than the base PT61 that has the GT61 compressor, I think they are around $600, which you can't beat that price for a 61.

Well, it was such a nice day today and all my customers were closed, I took the afternoon and went on to the dyno. After finally getting the A/F to 12.5-13.0 with the boost at 24# and 22 degrees of timing, pump 93 gas with methanol sprayed, it produced 405 rwhp/484rwtq, not too shaby! Had 2.1 degrees of knock. Thru the muffs with same tune, just a tad more alky resulted in 389 rwhp/463 rwtq and no KR.