Grand National or not.....need help

achilliz

So ia hve been looking for a GN for the last couple a years off and on. And this weekend has all but proven my point that it seems that I never will get a real one without getting ripped off on the price OR, paying still as lot of money and it being a POS that needs work, or just buying a clone and tell everyone its a real one. And judging by how good some of these clones look like I bet a lot of people would not know the difference....

So this weekend I won a GN on ebay and durning the process I asked for various pictures of certain things knowing the g-bodys and the rust issues they incure over the years and the areas that are areas of concern on GN's etc. It seemed the guy was a little careful on the angles before taking and sending.

So I bud and won, YAYYYA for me.... right!..... NO. SO I asked for pics of the underside of the car and close ups of the paint etc.

I drove 10 hours to get to the car and before handing over 20k for a 32k mile "Orginal" minus a few part upgrades I inspect the car. I took about 30-45 mins to go over everything @ 5am with high powered LED flashlights and with my girl to have an honest eye compare with an experienced eye (ME) and see if she came up with matching issues withoiut telling her where to look.

SO before I get there I am told I will not find a nicer GN around at this mileage or I will pay 29+ AND UP IF IM looking for car that I can eat off of.....

SO I found white chips on the door, and the rocker panel, and the lower b pillar that houses the courtesy glass. The guy told me that are not chips that its rock guard. I stated rock guard is NOT white marks half way up the door etc. SO I can see he was getting upset as I assumed he thought I was some punk kid looking to just hand over a stack of cash and load this GN and go home. SO then his buddy comes over and states that its residue from the gravel and it rained, and that it will just wipe off...... OK so I call his bluff and ask him why would you leave a MINT GN outside in the rain after it was won 4 days ago and after you told me this never saw RAIN snow etc and it IS ALWAYS housed in the garage while he is trying to sell it. He has 4 majors garages etc. Im sure you see my point thus far. SO I asked him to wipe it off and hes scrubbing so hard its starting to scratch the paint. I then show him with my finger nail that my nail is going into the paint because its not just residue ontop of the paint he then gets really pissed and said it was in the pix before I bid and won. I then show him that it wasnt and that he was WRONG, so Then they both ask why I came down to nit pick the car if I didnt have the intention on buying that car.

I told them I had EVERY intention on buying what was advertised and if anyone is spending 20k+ on a 1987 car im sure they and you would look it over very well....correct?

So i then tell him there are issues that scare me away from this car....He replies LIKE WHAT...

WELL, the paint issue we just went over, the inner passenger side t-top trim is broken and missing, under the trunk rain sill its rusted all over, underneath the car has rust pretty much on every part under there, not rot, but excess surface rust , stock exhaust was ripped out and a ultra Flow system installed with a cat delete plate inserted (wasnt listed in the ad), paint on the front seem of the hood was chipping from the old paint job im guessing, bubbled glue around the window im guessing from a new windshield install, rims had pitted rust around the black part the mates to the chrome, rear rotors look like they where rusting (I thought that where aluminum), rust starting on the t-top rain sill both sides, rear bumper has a after market part number stamped on it/.....(LOL), NOw the biggest issue......passenger side b pillar looked like the body mud was coming through the paint as the was a swirl or mud the looked like a mashed up tootide roll coming through and the blotch was cracking while the other areas looking like a mirror lolol. I pointed this out and he goes "IT HAS A CLEAN car fax wanna see..... I said yes..... he then says its only ink on a paper that they are BS anyways as there are ways around the milage and anything listed on there. he then goes and tells me a car be be in a wreck 100000000 times and as long as it isnt reported it will apear clean on the report,.

Sounds like a good move to walk away if you did? Did it have the RPO codes on the trunk and the vin can tell you if it at least cane with the turbo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wow what a scumbag scammer!!! What did the RPO code on the trunk say??? Hopefully you reported this guy to ebay and paypal if thats how you made a deposit get it refunded!!!! I saw that car on ebay unreal how people hide stuff and lie, obviously it had 132,000 miles and maybe a turbo t not a GN and the odometer rolled over already. Let us know the details ;). Good Luck

Oh the stories I could tell. I started loooking for one when I was 16. Gave up for a few years because 10 out of 12 of them I looked at were clones. Started the search again using this board a few months ago and found the perfect one within a few weeks! This is a good place to start!

So what was the conclusion ? if I drove 10 hrs to be scammed it wouldn't be a pretty scene.....:rage:

I didnt make a deposit which he brought up. I state I dont make deposits on cars that have the extreme possibility of being false advertised. Hes was pissed and brought it up. I stated I am glad i didnt make one. LOL. I walked away. pissed nonetheless, as he was he started showering me with guilt. I wont find anything better etc why would i drive if i didnt have the intention etc.... I mean I was extremely professional in pointing out the odd findings, and he knew i knew what I was looking at, hes answers where short and vague to the point where i had to stare at him for a further explanation and the sheer fact he was extremely agitated that he needed to further define his responses. As in his view, HEY YOU WON THE CAR. I stated I won what was advertised not what I am seeing. SO I have yet to receive bad feedback against my 100% feedback.

He did make the claim he never had someone come down and examine the car as I have done, let alone just turn down such a great offer. I in fact offered to pay for his fees for re-listing, in which he didnt take me up on. SO I assume he knew I was calling his bluff on either being a clone or extremely misrepresented as a whole.

So my search still continues!

Thoughts.....? I mean I wasnt a dick even after I drove 10 hiours from PA to NC and back, just upset and kinda discouraged. I do accept part my fault I should have extremely firm on the desired pix before going that distances. But still upset at the lying,

My advice would be to buy a car off this site from a board member, everyone on here is pretty much stand up, all flaws of a car sold on here will be pointed out ahead of time, their will be definitely no scams here, keep your eyes peeled in the for sale section Really good deals pop up quite often...Good Luck..

short of inspecting the car in person,................
demand in depth pics of any areas you feel will make you comfortable,
I personally have used board members to inspect a car I was interested in, talking on the ph as he was inspecting it.
if any flags appear walk away. you can always reconsider, but you cannot "un buy it"
Good Luck

I bought my car from a board member and in the beginning his knowledge of the car was invaluable for troubleshooting the little things that would pop up. Plus, i saw that he was a member for many years and not some fly by night trying to pawn off a POS. And going back over his old posts from when he owned it i could follow along as he worked on and trouble shooted any issues he had while owning it. You can't get that off eBay.

Thank you Guys, awesome points and I think I will turn my attention to here as stated above. I do look forward to becoming a supporting member of this community and owner of my very own GN or GNX. I have extremely cautious in the last few years in trying to get one and feel the best advise was to keep my eye here. As I feel that if someone is trying to scam someone else with a POS, the members will flock to correct or rid the site of this style of person.

Again thank you!

Few points to ponder from one that has bought and sold just over 300 of them. I was fortunate I did it back when the cars were still fairly new. On the above story it begs to ask the question what will the seller try next? Meaning will the next prospective buyer be as sharp?

I got burned 2 or 3 times that come to mind over the years including once by a licensed car dealer out of Virginia. I even had some buyers come for my cars bringing my book with them to compare notes....

You gotta be careful today some cars don;t age well. Best to determine if the seller is someone flipping the car or the person that has actually owned it for a period of time and can truthfully tell you the pros and cons. The money this person was willing to spend should have netted him a very nice example.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Is it the one that was for sale in NC? I don't think it would be unusual to have some chips in the paint of a 27 year old car with 32k miles? Everyones idea of mint is different. Maybe it's the nicest one he's ever seen?
If it's the one I saw on the auction site I would have been fooled too. It looks really nice in the pics, doesn't look like a clone.

For under 20k you can get a beautiful car off this board, but imho a nice stock 80k mile car is perfect for a new gn owner, learn how to modify it yourself, these cars are a lifestyle, not just a car you can toss parts at, its all a different game, but once you get the hang of it, its hard to beat!!!

From my experience you can hide a lot with a camera so your eyes are the best for making the final decision of whats what .

I know a few people who been swindled making a deposit on a car. They where forced to either buy or loose the money. A dirty way to do business. Never buy off ebay unless vehicle is close and you have inspected and driven it. So many people are just looking to unload a rusty turd. Best advice, buy from a veteran who had the car for many years and has done some tasty mods already. A steel internal motor is a big score and is basically a $10,000 receipt that the seller will never get back. Big buyer advantage on that.

Good luck!

Rick