Got the HV pump/cam gear wear blues...

disco stu

Took my cam sensor out to put on a cam sensor repair kit. The cam and sensor gear are taking a beating. Nothing but metal
sludge is getting picked up by the oil filter magnet. New motor, so it all looked normal, but I bet this is a big part of it. I even set the pump up pretty sloppy at .006 endplay. Oil pressure sets at about 15 psi, but that's hot. And it's hot. Ac on, f bod radiator barely keeps up and coolant temps are 210, 220, no oil cooler. Not really worried about any of that though. Getting more radiator though. On not scorching days and no ac, about 25 psi. So, those new gears I spent $275 on are trash. The cam gear is already getting knife edged. Pump even seemed to spin real freely when I primed it. Ugh, guess I'll be getting a new timing cover and gears :/ it's always something.

Let's see. Cam is a 224/224 roller, cover is aftermarket (that could be something).

And yes, south Texas heat with ac blasting all the time, fmic, and extra cubes will run over a f body radiator, even with dual spals sealed right up against it.

from some past post

Let's see. Cam is a 224/224 roller, cover is aftermarket (that could be something).

And yes, south Texas heat with ac blasting all the time, fmic, and extra cubes will run over a f body radiator, even with dual spals sealed right up against it.

You are aware of needing to oil the gears. (if a billet roller)

sounds close to my combo short of the SFI and aftermarket cover...
how hot is it there? been 100-107* here last few days.

A.j.

If this is a billet cam it is pretty common if you do not have something squirting oil on those gears.
ML

Also, A/M covers have been known to:
Be drilled off location on the dowel pins.
To have the sensor bore off location.

Yeah, I've heard about that. DavidF has offered me a stock cover and I'll be adding a squirter. Did that on my last race motor.

If this is a billet cam it is pretty common if you do not have something squirting oil on those gears.
ML

X2
Billet core cams do not have provisions for oiling the gear. You need to set up something to squirt oil on the gears otherwise the wear problem will never stop.

Took my cam sensor out to put on a cam sensor repair kit. The cam and sensor gear are taking a beating. Nothing but metal
sludge is getting picked up by the oil filter magnet. New motor, so it all looked normal, but I bet this is a big part of it. I even set the pump up pretty sloppy at .006 endplay. Oil pressure sets at about 15 psi, but that's hot. And it's hot. Ac on, f bod radiator barely keeps up and coolant temps are 210, 220, no oil cooler. Not really worried about any of that though. Getting more radiator though. On not scorching days and no ac, about 25 psi. So, those new gears I spent $275 on are trash. The cam gear is already getting knife edged. Pump even seemed to spin real freely when I primed it. Ugh, guess I'll be getting a new timing cover and gears :/ it's always something.

What kind of noise was it making before you removed the cam sensor? I`m tracking down a sound in my rebuild and it sounds like the camsensor is spinning on the cam gear....is that possible?

What kind of noise was it making before you removed the cam sensor? I`m tracking down a sound in my rebuild and it sounds like the camsensor is spinning on the cam gear....is that possible?

I've had the cam gear wear issue. When the gear gets pretty worn it will start making a knocking sound at the cam sensor. Put your hand on the sensor cap and you'll feel it.

Anyone care to speculate how much oil pressure I'll lose at idle going from a hv to a standard oil pump? Kinda worried about that since I opened up the bearing oil feed holes to match the block (block feeds were not drilled). Not to mention the extra oil I'll be bleeding off with an oil jet.

Anyone care to speculate how much oil pressure I'll lose at idle going from a hv to a standard oil pump? Kinda worried about that since I opened up the bearing oil feed holes to match the block (block feeds were not drilled). Not to mention the extra oil I'll be bleeding off with an oil jet.

Keep the HV pump. Just replace the cam gear and sensor gear. Add the oil jet to squirt the gears and you should be in good shape.