Got some base line passes in today.

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF SECRETS
Staff member
I'm currently getting Sarah ready for Bowling Green.
I took her to US41 today to get some base line runs with the regular radials. Yeah I know, they don't hook. but I told myself, that if she runs anywhere in the 12's I'll be happy, even if I just barely break into the 12's that's fine. I was tuning for mph today and wanted to get close to 110. All runs were made in the left lane, car # 48. Weather was absolutely perfect, clear skies and 52-60* with a slight tail wind.

1st pass.

1stpass.jpg

.773 O2, Zero KR, boost was on 19psi, fp at 43.5# static, 100 octane unleaded, 295/50/15 radial T/As set at 30psi. +10.9% fuel added at WOT, timing 1st & 2nd was at 21.7*, 3rd & 4th was at 19.7*. I foot braked to about 2400, it hooked but once the boost kicked in, it blew the tires off for about 40ft. Not too bad and was kinda what I was expecting.

2nd pass.

2ndpass.jpg

.761 O2, .5 KR, boost was turned up to 20psi, fp same, I turned the WOT fuel up to +12.5%, and upped the timing to 21* in 1st & 2nd and 21.1* 3rd and 4th. Launch was the same, foot braked to about 2400 and let the car pull herself off the line and going WOT about 10 foot off the line. I was letting the car cool down for about 30-35 minutes between passes.

3rd pass.

3rdpass.jpg

I got a little more serious with the tune this time. .757 O2, .7 KR, turned up the boost to 24psi and turned the WOT fuel up to +14.1% fuel. Turned up the timing to 22.1* for 1st & 2nd and 21.8* for 3rd & 4th. I left the same as before, basically creeping off the line and boy did she respond. Picked up 3mph on that run. To this point, everything was doing exactly what it should do, mph was going up, et was getting slightly better (even with my wonderful 60ft times :rolleyes: ) and things were looking good. She wasn't yelling at me either, she seemed like she was actually having a good time. As was I. Tranny was/is flaring on the 2-3 so I knew I only wanted to make one more pass before calling it a day. And I knew I needed to go through the brakes because she was pushing at 1 psi.

4th and final pass for the day.

4thpass.jpg

.757 O2, .5 KR, boost was at 24psi, I turned up the WOT fuel to +15.6%, lowered rear tire pressure down to 28psi, but this time I launched with 1psi showing on the gauge. She hooked up for about 5 feet, but when the boost came on, it was all she wrote. Spun for about 50ft but the short time dropped a tenth. Not too shabby.

All in all, I learned a few things today. She definitely responds to a good tune and she likes boost. This is a good thing. Tires should be here Tuesday and am planning on going to Tri State in Ohio next Sat if the weather holds out. I came home and swapped out front brake pads, they were oily & greasy, duh, no wonder she wouldn't hold any boost, I kinda had a feeling. This week, I'm going to install the front braces, 6piece body bushings, remove front sway bar, repaint my spare wheels, mount tires, install dual air bags, install new B&M Super Cooler, buy some C16, relocate SM to top of dash, adjust back brakes and head to Ohio Friday after work.

My battle plan is to make my first pass with the same boost, with pure C16 and turn up the timing to 26* in all gears and launch as hard as possible. Then turn the boost up to 26, adjust fuel if needed and E-brake launch if need be. I know at this power level, I'm gonna need to get my short times into the 1.60 - 1.57 range to get anywhere near my ultimate goals, and this will take 12-14psi launches. Might have to do the larger rear wheel cylinders and long shoes all around on the back tho, but we'll see. If she runs 12.00s I'll be happy, besides, I can't expect much with a flaring 2-3 shift. If she runs faster, well that's cool too, but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to get an emergency tranny freshing before BG. Hey Lonnie, if you read this I might be in need of your tranny services soon. Locals were freaking out over the regular radials and horrible short times and the mph. We had a good time tho. And tuning at this level really brought back a lot of old memories. So much easier than the old grey car. Not as fast of course, but I don't have any worries driving home either.
Thanks for reading and sorry so long.

Patrick

Whats your combo Patrick, are you tuning w/ a trans pro(weird fuel increases) . Anyway good baseline numbers and getting better.;)

Doh, forgot the combo info.

TE-60R with .63 PTE housing, un-touched wg hole, standard actuator, stock 95K mile motor with valve springs, double roller timing chain, RJC power plate for stock plenum, PTE stock location intercooler, 2 3/4" MAF pipe, 9" K&N cone attached to MAF (possibly change this air intake setup before BG), Accufab adjustable FP reg, Walbro F2000169 with hot wire kit, 60# Mototron injectors, Erics' TT Pro chip 27/25 timing, PCV check valve, Metco drivers side angled breather, passengers side push in breather, 3" TH downpipe with dump pipe, 2.5" dual exhaust with Flowrestrictor mufflers :rolleyes: (Flowmasters are coming off soon and Ultraflows are taking their place) stock posi rear end 3.42s, T wheels, 205/70/15 up front, 295/50/15 out back with 1/8" spacers. Coan built trans back in '03 with a 10" l/u 3000 stall converter. (Seems a little tight to me, but should foot brake to 3k, not really needed with the dbb but we'll see when I start trying to launch like a big dawg. :D ) 0-30psi boost, & Oil pressure on Lokar dual full pillar pod and Scanmaster 2.1. That's it, pretty simple.

Now I'm gonna work on my suspension and getting the short times down. The tires I have coming in are 27x10.5 ET Streets bias plys, I have yet to read of anyone successfully hooking up at this power level with the 255/60/15 MT Drag radials when launching at 12-14psi. There are those out there who are having good luck launching them at lower boost levels tho. A good friend of mine from back home has already been there and done that at this exact same power level and the MT DRs and advised for either slicks or ET Streets if wanting to hook at the track. Given the DRs will work and behave a million times better, but after having 28x12.5s ET Streets on the old white T, I know how they behave on the street and I can live with it. I also know what they will do on the streets at 15psi pressure and launching from a stop light under boost. I'm gonna catch all kinds of hassle from my buddy Dave tho. He's been pushing me, and pushing me to get DRs. I'm too old school tho. Maybe if I get some different wheels, then I'll pop for some 275/60s or some 325/50/15s MT DRs. And if I get caught in the rain on the ET Streets, I'll just do what I used to do back in the day, find a covered area like a car wash or a gas station, pop the trunk and swap out to the regular radial T/As. ;)

The TT Pro chip allows you to add or subtract fuel under WOT, add or subtract fuel from 1st gear (to help with spool up) and timing changes for 1st & 2nd, then for 3rd & 4th. Similar to a Maximum Effort, but a lot easier to use.

My ultimate goal is 11.30 - 11.40s at 117-118 without having to go into the motor. I might have to step up on turbo tho, and I am planning on one of Razors' Alky kits. :cool:

Patrick

Your off to a great start & it looks like the car is responding well. Those slips will look much better when the 60' & 1/8 mile times drop. Nice solid 21 mph increase on the big end. :)

Nice runs Patrick!

We had a car down here a little while ago with a similar build to yours (TE-60 turbo, 15 row extended core stock location IC, 3" DP, 42.5lb injs, and TW chip) that ran 12.20's @109mph with tired valve springs and with a 3.73 gear... This car was shorting in the low 1.7 to high 1.6 range on a 26" slicks..

Spool up is fast on this 6031RE, I wish it were a 6131RE but PTE didn't have any 61mm compressor wheels when I bought this one. I had to take it easy yesterday so as not to blow them completely off. Looking forward to it Dusty. Thanks for the compliments guys, if all goes well this coming Saturday, I'll post up some results.

Patrick

You could always let a girl drive. We have a history of quicker times :)
Glad you called to check on me. I need to have a tunning party here at the house when I get ready to take Dave's truck to the track.

Lisa
MsMyclone aka Lghtemup

Shoulds like decent times...I went 11.9's with the TE60 with a crappy chip and no timing.

Bescurred,
Other than injectors, looks like we have the exact same combos.

I'm gonna release the reigns this weekend if the weather holds for Tri State. I can definitely tell my case of GFI is flaring up again... More boost... More fuel... Zero knock.... 15psi e-brake launch.... yeah yeah... more... More... :biggrin:

Hey Lisa, good to hear from you the other day as well. Sorry I haven't called earlier. I say a prayer for you every day and wish you my best... :bighug:

I'm definitely excited about having fun with a street car again. I mean, the Evo is fun and all and I love it, but it's a totally different animal. I'll know for sure after this weekend if the trans will hold up for BG or not, but I've already convinced myself to make plans for a replacement immediately. I know how brutal I can be on these cars with a good tune and launching like a crazed gorilla chasin a banana truck. :D

Patrick