Got nailed for the tint today

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I live in NJ - any sort of tint on the side windows is illegal (unless you own a BMW, or a Benz or the like). I was driving through Harding today, which I think is second only to Beverly Hills in per capita income, and got nailed. Funny thing is that I drove by the guy at the same exact time (leaving work) yesterday. He sits in the same spot every day, at the same time busting commuters' nuts as they drive through 'his' town. Never mind the fact that my company recently moved into a formerly vacant 1.3 million SF facility, bringing thousands of new people to frequent local eateries, cleaners, florists, etc.

I was going 38 in a 40 with a line of traffic behind me (gawd forbid you don't go 10 MPH over the limit). I saw him pull out and light up every car in the line of traffic behind me to get them out of the way. I knew he was working his way up to me so I just pulled into a local business to make it easy.

For some reason the Buick always attracts multiple cops. A second, and a third cop pulled into the lot behind me. I don't think Harding has more than 3 cops for chrissakes.

He explained that the reason he stopped me was the tint. He asked me why it was tinted. Rather than point out the obvious - the all black theme, UV rays on the 20-year-old seats, etc. - I replied that it was like that when I got it. He asked when I got it. I replied "1999". What's weird is that he was intrigued by the shift light. Wanted to know what it was, what it did. I explained what it was for and he took my information, including my expired insurance card (DOH!) back to his car. He could've had it towed because of the insurance card but he let me go anyway and told me to remove the tint.

Of course I'm not going to remove the tint - it looks too cool, but I do need to find another route to work now.

On the one hand he's right, the tint is illegal. On the other hand I would bet you that at least one of the cars behind me in that line of traffic had tinted windows. It's hard not to feel picked on in the Buick sometimes. He recognized the fact that I have a collector inspection sticker which means limited use, plus the NYPD PBA card helped a bit but it still sucks a bit.

Jim

That has got to be one of the biggest BS laws on the books ANYWHERE:mad: . I have 5% all around on mine, when the garage door goes up for me to back out, the windows go down. Regardless of temperature outside. I was thinking of putting a "cutoff" switch to the windows, incase I do get pulled over and asked to roll up the windows for them to "test" the tint to see how dark it is. Happend with one of the other cars, windows were down (Heck, top was down) and got pulled over and told to roll up the windows, got a ticket:mad: Congrats on not getting a fine.

This from my past in MI.. but can't you go to an eye doctor and get a "waiver" for having tint on the windows...

We used to do that in MI all the time to have limo tint all round.. even on the windshield:eek: :eek:

just a 4in section along the front in the middle:D

I'd check the books to see if there's any kind of exclusion like that where you're at.

Totally BS law:mad:

This from my past in MI.. but can't you go to an eye doctor and get a "waiver" for having tint on the windows...

We used to do that in MI all the time to have limo tint all round.. even on the windshield:eek: :eek:

just a 4in section along the front in the middle:D

I'd check the books to see if there's any kind of exclusion like that where you're at.

Totally BS law:mad:

i got pulled over in bark river mighigan of all places for having my windows tinted. the trooper asked me along the lines "son dont you know mighigan state laws" me being the smart ass i am "sir did you not look at my licence plates when you pulled me over" ONTARIO CANADA, needless to say he let me go

Yeah you can get that "eye waiver" if your eye doctor is cool and says you have the condition. I have never been able to get a doctor to help me out.

I got busted for tint and didn't take it off. 2 points on my license and 50 bucks fine. DOH

Next time I got busted I peeled that crap off the front two windows.

I have gotten stopped so many times for tint:rolleyes: I understand the law, as I have several friends in law enforcement. It is not safe for them to roll up on a car that is blacked out, hell there could be a gun pointed right at them and they would never know it:eek:

My solution is, just get on the horn and make them roll them down before exiting the vehicle. If they don't co-operate bring out the guns;)

A black'd out TR looks bad azz IMO. My original car is still 20% all the way around, I wouldn't make it 30 mins in either direction today!

check with your local state insp. manual here in texas you only have to check the tint on 88 and newer.

I live in NJ - any sort of tint on the side windows is illegal (unless you own a BMW, or a Benz or the like). I was driving through Harding today, which I think is second only to Beverly Hills in per capita income, and got nailed. Funny thing is that I drove by the guy at the same exact time (leaving work) yesterday. He sits in the same spot every day, at the same time busting commuters' nuts as they drive through 'his' town. Never mind the fact that my company recently moved into a formerly vacant 1.3 million SF facility, bringing thousands of new people to frequent local eateries, cleaners, florists, etc.

I was going 38 in a 40 with a line of traffic behind me (gawd forbid you don't go 10 MPH over the limit). I saw him pull out and light up every car in the line of traffic behind me to get them out of the way. I knew he was working his way up to me so I just pulled into a local business to make it easy.

For some reason the Buick always attracts multiple cops. A second, and a third cop pulled into the lot behind me. I don't think Harding has more than 3 cops for chrissakes.

He explained that the reason he stopped me was the tint. He asked me why it was tinted. Rather than point out the obvious - the all black theme, UV rays on the 20-year-old seats, etc. - I replied that it was like that when I got it. He asked when I got it. I replied "1999". What's weird is that he was intrigued by the shift light. Wanted to know what it was, what it did. I explained what it was for and he took my information, including my expired insurance card (DOH!) back to his car. He could've had it towed because of the insurance card but he let me go anyway and told me to remove the tint.

Of course I'm not going to remove the tint - it looks too cool, but I do need to find another route to work now.

On the one hand he's right, the tint is illegal. On the other hand I would bet you that at least one of the cars behind me in that line of traffic had tinted windows. It's hard not to feel picked on in the Buick sometimes. He recognized the fact that I have a collector inspection sticker which means limited use, plus the NYPD PBA card helped a bit but it still sucks a bit.

Jim

Jim

You have to remember that these small little towns have nothing better to do. Come to Fort Lee and you will see a different environment. The NYPD card did not anything for you because you still got the coupon.:mad:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

check with your local state insp. manual here in texas you only have to check the tint on 88 and newer.

I got stopped twice by the DPS in my 84' Monte Carlo SS for tint (5%) heading to El paso from where I live in Midland. Then later that month I got stopped a few more times for the same thing...I only had the car a few months at the time. I finnaly gave up and took the tinit off...more because of the fact I couldn't see crap at night than anything ;) Now days 30-20% is just fine for me...must be getting old.

Anyhow, a fellow TR owner put it best, consider it a cool tax and move on :cool:

Jim

You have to remember that these small little towns have nothing better to do. Come to Fort Lee and you will see a different environment. The NYPD card did not anything for you because you still got the coupon.:mad:

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I didn't get a ticket, just a through inspection and a stern warning. Cops in Harding really don't have anything else to do. They set up on Rt. 202 to nab commuters - it's the best part of their day. I'm not knocking them - it's a great gig if you can get it. Decent benefits, pension, etc. Union sticks up for you.

It was a relatively minor inconvenience I guess. At least I didn't get yanked out of the car or have to consent to a search. That sort of thing takes longer - BTDT.

Jim

Well crap, if you know the cop sits in the same spot every day, you'd think you'd roll down the windows.

Well crap, if you know the cop sits in the same spot every day, you'd think you'd roll down the windows.

I can see him getting pulled over again...

Cop:is there a reason you have you windows down?

Buick guy: Just wanted some freash air, am I breaking the law?

Cop: nope, not at all.

Buick guy: Then whats the problem?

Cop: It's -17 degrees outside:eek: :D

I really didn't think of it. The tint's been on there for at least 5 years and I've never gotten stopped for it, nor has a cop mentioned it during traffic stops for other reasons. Plus it was in the 40s - pretty chilly to be riding around with the windows down. He'd just thought of some other reason to pull me over. Loud exhaust, looked like I was going fast, paint too shiny, etc.

Jim

I can see him getting pulled over again...

Cop:is there a reason you have you windows down?

Buick guy: Just wanted some freash air, am I breaking the law?

Cop: nope, not at all.

Buick guy: Then whats the problem?

Cop: It's -17 degrees outside:eek: :D

If you were a woman you could claim hot flashes! :tongue:

Around here the tint keeps your dash from melting in the summer! :p

I've never been bugged about it around here and I have LIMO tint, but then again so do the cops.

my friend owns a window tint business next door and we see this all the time.the law is to protect the officer so he/she can see the occupents and if they are getting ready to point a gun at him,etc.BUT in Ga the rear windows are exempt on trucks,vans,suvs,etc??????????????????most cops around here dont have a two piece tint meter and so we tint the rear stationary window 20% and the rest legal(35%).makes car look darker,and they dont seem to care.

Here you can spray paint all the rear windows black for all they care. It's the driver side windows they get picky about.

Just to let you know, you don't need to explain ANYTHING to the cop. For captain quota, just hand over the license and registration and the only words out of your mouth should be "am I free to go officer".