Got my Telstars installed today finally! How to roll the lip?

WakkoSS

Get the car up in the air, take the rear tires off, and carefully hammer the lip with a mallet or hammer. You could also hit it with a grinder if you like that idea better..be patient, it takes some time, either way you do it.

Ian,
Another way of doing it is as follows: Mark off the area needed to be clearanced. Cut several relief cuts accross the fender lip and moldinginside this area.The more the better but about every 1/2 in to 3/4 in. They only have to be deep enough to allow the metal to roll. Then take a wood bat wide side in and roll it between the tire and fender. The rolling action puts an arc and fold across the relief cuts.You may have to jack the car up slightly to get the bat wedged up in there. This is the safest way of doing it without creasing the outside of the wheel well edge.

Or you could cut the area with a sawzall. Thats how i did mine but i needed lots of clearance.

Checking in with another opinion/method!:D

First mark where the lip is to be rolled.

Remove wheel/tire and moulding. Tools needed, big hammer and safety glasses.

Apply the hammer firmly to the edge of the lip working from one end to the other. Takes a while and lots of blows to bend it around. Do not try to bend it all at once with heavy blows.

The trim piece can then be modified to follow the contour of the rolled lip. It can be ground away with a bench grinder or cut and bent up to follow the rolled lip.

Dont try to roll it with the trim bolts in. The bolts are long and will make contact with the inner side of the fender before the lip rolls much. You dont want to punch a hole or make a divit in your fender. You can cut the bolts down so that they are just long enough to go through the lip and hold your trim piece on, and then follow one of the strategies above.

or just get some new springs & shocks and you'll clear just fine!

if you don't clear now, you got a serious case of old age sag

airbags not required to clear what I ASSume are 275X60 tires?

oh yeah...she sags like a 90 year old woman. Boing boing. I like the lowered stance and increased weight transfer with the soft rear end, which is why I haven't slapped on a set of Bilsteins and new springs.

Good ideas for the lip roll. I had heard the bat one before but was skeptical.

On a side note, I FINALLY got my car into the garage today. Now I don't have to worry about someone stealing it....just the new cooling, rubbing and brake problems. :D

I cut mine instead of rolling. I made a nice gradual cut with a fine tooth jigsaw and cut up to the existing trim hole. I cut it with the trim in place. I then deburred the edges and coated it with POR-15. Moved the trim screws out a bit. Not even noticeable when done. I just didn't want to chance ruining the quarter panels by rolling and didn't like the way it looks doing that way.

I see you almost have the same front plat that i have and no hood emblems. But you have nice paint on your car i see. I am jellous. I thought that i was my car for a sec >.<. I have 275/60/r15 and they rub a little with the lip rolled so i am going to have to cut them. The lip wasnt rolled very well by the last owner.

I just got it out of the body shop a few weeks ago. It's going back in to redo the driver's door and install GNX louvers. I like the no emblem look...and it confuses the ricers even more.

Thanks, Zam. I used your pictures to show people what my car was going to look like. Got lots of good comments.

When the car's cleaned up I'll take closer shots with some more detail. The front tires are really a home run.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Wow, thats sweet. I wonder if it's rentable somewhere.

Somewhere on one of the F-body boards, a guys rents them
75 for threedays including shipping
Not sure where though

I'm glad you took my advice on the fronts...I knew the 205 would look better (THEN THE 215).

As far as the rear 1/4s, I trimmed mine instead of rolling them...I used an air saw and trimmed just to the welds (did not cut them) and then cut the Mldg to match - zero rub.