Got my first speeding ticket in 10 yrs

cwelk87gn

XCELR8S
Well, I knew sooner or later it would happen. It was a beautiful day today so I took the Gn out of the garage for a short ride, and managed to contain myself the entire time, that is until I was about a half mile from my house. A new Monte Carlo SS passed me going about 55 in the posted 45 MPH limit area, and gave me the ole stink eye, not being one to let this go unanswered I hammered the Gn and shot from 45 to 75 in a matter of seconds. Well, as I eased out of the gas who did I see? That's right the local PD out on their afternoon cruise. Knowing I was busted I turned on my signal and eased into my neighborhood thinking maybe he wasn't running radar, yeah right. He came flying up behind me lights and siren going so I pulled over and put the car in park. Since I've been on ride-alongs with various police depts, I stayed in the car, hands on wheel and waited. The cop came up to the car and wanted to know what I was doing going that fast. Now I know that being a smarta$$ to a cop won't get you anywhere, so I was very nice and polite and proceeded to explain that I knew I was speeding and apologized. He dropped his attitude and became very pleasant an asked to see my license, which was sitting on the bar at my house. I explained that I was just out for a ride blah, blah , blah and rattled off my DL number and name, About this time more police show up because as I found out later, he thought I was going to RUN! I then got out of the car and started talking to the other cops who as it turns out were really nice guys, and one of them knew what a GN was and actually thanked me for stopping!! He explained to the other cops that my car would easily outrun a Crown Vic had I decided to flee. I told him that it was fast, but wouldn't outrun his Motorola 2-way radio, after we all had a good laugh, the cop gave me a ticket for 65 in a 45 even though he clocked me at 70 which would have been Wreckless driving, he also explained that he could have ticketed me for driving without a license, but didn't. Yeah I'm now out a $105.00 but as I've always said it's better to be nice to cops when they stop you, had I been rude or got an attitude, they would have nailed me. He even gave me the option of going to traffic school, which I don't think I'll do since I haven't had a ticket in years and really don't want to waste a Saturday. What do you guys think? Should I just pay the ticket or go to driving school?

If you go to traffic school I don't believe the ticket will go on your record. They could raise your insurance. I doubt it but its possible.

Your insurance company will probably give you crap, I'd take driving school. pain in the ass, but if it supresses it from your record it's worth it. I'll tell you from experience, I wish I did. Then again Illinois has a bad habbit of shafting drivers if they're under 21.

go to driving school, there's always some funny car related stories to hear. I should know, 12 hrs total for me so far:(

Go to traffic school. Your insurance will otherwise go up, or you might get dropped if you have somebody like Geico, and they find out.

That $105 might end up being $500 or more if you factor in the increase in insurance for the number of years the incident stays on your license, blah blah. Where I live, near Washington, DC, insurance premiums tend to be pretty high, and it seems like the insurance companies assume you are speeding all the time if you have a speeding infraction.

My insurance rate went down almost $500 for all of my cars once my last ticket was off the record (I think I got it almost 5 years ago..), when I shopped around. Before that, the larger carriers were all about the same price..

Good luck

Billy

yeah go to traffic school.

Story:
When I was 17 I went, and I ll probably have to go again this month:mad: . But back to the story, I sat down in the front and there was a BUNCH of low lifes in there. I was pissed becuase I didnt wasnt to hear all of these retards bitch about how the police shafted them. So a scary a$s shaved head, tatood, mexican/gangmember, flanel shirt type guy sits next to me.

I am thinking well great, 8 hours with him telling me how he wants to kill cops. The first thing our instructor did was ask the class who thinks they deserved their ticket that they had recieved from the Police. In the class of 100 it was me and surprisingly the ganster next to me that raised their hands. EVERYONE else said the cops were targeting them, racist, blaa blaa blaa.

The both of us talked and actually got into a couple heated arguements with the others in the class about police ticketing, police matters, and politics. This guy was in the police academy trying to become a sherif. So, we actaully had a good time.

Wow that was a long story, sorry.

Go to traffic court

I was wondering about the insurance thing. I have State Farm and have been with them for 18 years so I wasn't thinking that they would go up on me since I have an otherwise perfect record, but you guys are probably right.

In my state you can do a one time deferment if you haven't had a clean driving recored before. I think they have you pay the tickit and if you don't get another within a year it never see's your record. Or something like that. Some state's are different .

Originally posted by cwelk87gn
I was wondering about the insurance thing. I have State Farm and have been with them for 18 years so I wasn't thinking that they would go up on me since I have an otherwise perfect record.

Better check into that since a bud of mine was with SF (same agent too) for 18+yrs also and recently got cancelled due to a reckless ticket (78 in a 55) on his otherwise clean record. Hes 38yrs old, married, family, multiple cars, home owners, etc but it didnt make a damn to SF.

Just FYI/FWIW...