got a te-45a

1of1035

I just picked up a 600 mile te-45a and have a few questions. First how are the street manners? I'm probably going to upgrade to 72#'ers and a 3800 stall. Is a single 340 enough or do I need a double pumper? Also whats everyones opinion on this turbo? I've only heard good things but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks. TIA

The guy I bought the turbo from just the new GT-67. All I can say is it f***ing huge. Its also a really nice piece. Makes me want to sell the 45 and go get one of those.

The street manners will be alright once you get the thing dialed-in correctly. There is some great programming for those 72lb injectors. As for the stall, 3800 seems steep. I would go for a 3600 BT 9/11 if it is a street/strip car. My opinion on the turbo... I believe it to be the best street/strip turbo out there(although if I were doing a new build up myself, I would geta T70 Q-trim ball bearing :) ). Hope this helps.

-DC:cool:

I've heard that the 3800 stall has helped guys that couldn't spool this turbo with a 3400 so thats what i was planning on getting but if a 3600 will do it thats fine by me. T70 is a little too rich for my blood but that was my first choice too.

Also, should I girdle the bottom end? The bottom end only has about 30k miles on it but I would like to keep it in the car. I'm not sure if I'll be at the power level where its worth it. And what sort of boost is everyone getting out of these turbos?

Most I've heard of was 37psi, a 10.3s run. More typically 30psi is the upper limit. It seems like just about everyone with one of them has a 3500 stall 9" converter, but I see about as many people go with lockup as not. As for main caps or girdle... I sure as hell would. Definitely can make some bottom-end destroying power out of that turbo. For now I'm just at maincaps.

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get this finished and see what it does. I decided on a 3600 stall, 83#er's, double pumper and a champion intake to finish things off.

First off, I like the power of the turbo. I have an AC 9". I was told it is a 3200-3600 stall, but I have a little lag with it. So I think I am going to bump the stall up a shade.
As for the inj. and pump, I wasn't turning my car all that hard because my motor is still brand new, so i can't tell you how my set up will run when i start turning it up.

Long story short, I think I am really gonna like this turbo. Think you will too.

Rob Nolan

How bad was it with the stock converter. I still have the stock one and won't have the money for a converter for a few months. I've heard that spool up with be horrible until i get the converter.

Well, if you start torque breaking the car now with the D5 and the 45 you may hit boost in a couple of months when you get some money. ;) j/k If you stomp in from idle you'll probably get full boost in less than a week. ;) Sorry, can't help myself. Point is that it will be VERY laggy!!

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Well, if you start torque breaking the car now with the D5 and the 45 you may hit boost in a couple of months when you get some money. ;) j/k If you stomp in from idle you'll probably get full boost in less than a week. ;) Sorry, can't help myself. Point is that it will be VERY laggy!!

I know its going to be bad but thanks for reassuring me. Jeff had ran a 45 in his first buick on a stock motor/stock tranny but it went 12.1 which isn't too bad for a stock car.

Anyone wanna donate a converter to a good cause?

It may not be too bad at the track where you have time to build boost, but on the street it wont be a whole lot of fun unless on the highway. My little 54, which is about 2.5 steps down fromt the 45 wouldn't hit full boost until mid 2nd gear with the stock d5.

I just went 10.17@130 with mine last weekend. Thinking about stepping up to a bigger turbo. My te45a only has about 100 miles on it. Anyone interested?

-scott wile

Originally posted by Chevota
I just went 10.17@130 with mine last weekend. Thinking about stepping up to a bigger turbo. My te45a only has about 100 miles on it. Anyone interested?

-scott wile

Yes send me a PM....:cool:

Well the turbo went in today around noon and I'm still waiting for it to spool up;) Actually its not as bad as I thought it'd be but my bottom end power is really lacking. Around 35-40mph it pulls like crazy. So far this turbo seems great. I'll give more updates once the converter goes in.

Untill you get a looser converter you could always have your chip man pull some fuel out down low to help with spool-up....that's what I did when I had a TE44 and a TIGHT D5. I now have a TE45a and a #6 pump vigilante (3600-3800); I have almost "now" boost and it pulls like mad!