Goodyear Eagle SS Drag Radials

TryMeGT

Is anyone running these tires? If so do they hook well? How are they compared to the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials?

Having said that, I have already put the cart before the horse because I just ordered a set of the Goodyear P275/50/15 today, but wanting to know if anyone else is using them. This comes on the heels that Mickey Thompson stopped producing the ET Street Radials and who knows when they will continue. Some say April, some say later but who knows. The few and far between ones found on Ebay are going for more than $200 a tire. Goodyear also made the decision to not make the Goodyear Eagle SS DR's anymore too. Meaning the ones that are out there now are the only ones left. My Dad retired from Goodyear and spoke with the director of race tires. She set me up with a place that has some stock left of these tires.

I called and ordered mine today. I talked to the guy at this place which is in PA. The price was very good at $145.00 tire plus shipping of $16ea. I asked him about some others sizes too that he has stock on. Here is what he has:
P275/50-15 - 4 pairs left
P275/60-15 - None
P235/60-15 - 1 pair
P315/60-15 - None

P255/50-16 - 1 pair

P315/35-17 - 1 pair.

I only got the pricing on the P275/50-15 at $145ea, so I am not sure about the others. If anybody is interested in what he has left, PM me and I will shoot you his name and phone number. Just trying to help out other Buick guys trying to gear up for the season.

Is anyone running these tires? If so do they hook well? How are they compared to the Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials?

just my opinion but every tire I have tried from Good Year was junk :frown: , nothing hooked up for me better then MT but if you need to go with different brand then try these .... I like them :)
MandHTires.com ....

just my opinion but every tire I have tried from Good Year was junk :frown: , nothing hooked up for me better then MT but if you need to go with different brand then try these .... I like them :)
MandHTires.com ....

I've heard these are just as good as the mickey thompson... but you know what they say about hearing things...

Well they arrived today. At first glance they looked like MT ET Street Radials. The tread pattern is similar, but these are uni-directional tires. Oddly enough they are marked for Drag Use Only, not for highway use. Yet they have a DOT markings on them. If you look at an old Summit catalog that advertises them it states DOT approved. Not sure about the confusion there but they will get driven to the local track. I guess I will be the first to see how they hook and hold up.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• P3180002.JPG
    P3180002.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,977
  • P3180003.JPG
    P3180003.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 2,599
  • P3180004.JPG
    P3180004.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 2,881
Wow, They look good. They have less of the rubber removed for the grooves even than the MT, and they look similar from those pics as the MT. I hope they work for ya!

Wow, They look good. They have less of the rubber removed for the grooves even than the MT, and they look similar from those pics as the MT. I hope they work for ya!

Guess we will see at Bowling Green. I will have some test passes before then but BG will be my first Buick event with them. We'll see how they hold up. I am only looking for 1.5 -1.6 sixty foots so it is not like I am anihilating them.

Guess we will see at Bowling Green. I will have some test passes before then but BG will be my first Buick event with them. We'll see how they hold up. I am only looking for 1.5 -1.6 sixty foots so it is not like I am anihilating them.

they do look cool and I have never tried them , I think that with your set up they might work well , myself after trying BF , GY , you name it ...I end up with Nittos all the way to 52 series turbo/009' combo with alky and I was in control till ....:cool: I build my motor to what I have now and use 67mm turbo ......now NOTHING but MT's would work for me , I still have them MT street radial 255/50r16 (I use GNX 16 "wheels )they half done but if anybody wants them $100 will get them to your door in US , I went with M&H for hight of 28 " I needed and YES ,heard they gooooood :biggrin: , anyway the price is right , they look right , let us know how they work for you :wink:

I used the 275/60 Goodyears. I only ran them on the street. I was able to leave with 2 more lbs. of boost,than the M/T's, on an asphalt road. I never tried running them at the track. They drove a lot more like a bias ply tire at low pressures. It appeared like the side wall was thinner than the M/T. I would buy another set if I could.

please let us know how they work. kinda look like the are copying the MT

trymegt,the goodyear ss radials are only approved for racing only and are dot for only that purpose:frown: guys you have to watch out now for drag radials with the dot,apparently dot approves some drag radials for street use and some for track use.some track only tires=hoosier drag radials,goodyear ss drag radials,street approved dot=nitto,bfg,and mickey thompson et street radials.the goodyear ss drag radials have been discontinued.if the tire says for racing purposes only dot it's not legal for the street, beware of not for highway use:frown:

dot means that they have to have a minimum if 5/32 of tread on the new tires.

Rumour has it some guy in a Fox Body Mustang pulled the wheels on the street with them. :confused: I was inquiring a while back if anyone has run them and no answer. I guess Goodyear is stopping production on them? :frown: I like the thick slick part. You need a 325/50/15 to get that in a M/t.

please let us know how they work. kinda look like the are copying the MT
I will keep everyone posted after some passes in April when the tracks open here in Ohio. Feel free to check them out if you are at Bowling Green. Will be there Friday and Saturday to race. Car has Ohio plate 1 QUIK 6

trymegt,the goodyear ss radials are only approved for racing only and are dot for only that purpose:frown: guys you have to watch out now for drag radials with the dot,apparently dot approves some drag radials for street use and some for track use.some track only tires=hoosier drag radials,goodyear ss drag radials,street approved dot=nitto,bfg,and mickey thompson et street radials.the goodyear ss drag radials have been discontinued.if the tire says for racing purposes only dot it's not legal for the street, beware of not for highway use:frown:
Yeah I was kind of bummed on the not for highway use, but I had driven on my slicks for a few years back from the track because I was too lazy to change them after racing. These can't be any worse and they are radials. The DR's are not my everyday tires, they are just for racing (and maybe a little street cruising:biggrin: ).

I just returned a set of Hoosier DOT drag radials. They were approved DOT for sidewall designation only to meet NHRA class rules, and are not street legal ( this was straight from Hoosier ). I went with my original choice of M/T 265/60-15 Drag radials which are DOT approved for the highway. Hope the GoodYears work well for you.

The Goodyear drag radials are a great tire. That tire from Goodyear was out in late 2005. They are a class sponsor for the RAM Racing N/A Shootout Drag Radial class. A lot of people in the class run these tires and are hook up very well. Most of the cars are low to mid 9 second cars. These cars are required to have stock rear frame rails and stock rear suspension. Coil overs are allowed. The max tire size is a 275/60. Attached is a link to a pic of these tires in action on Ron Rhodes low 9 second car.

Naturally Aspirated Shootout - N/A Shootout 2006 Season Finale!/DSC 1779

I have not tried the Goodyears due to the success i have had with the Mickey Thompsons but these Goodyears have been proven a great tire.

Scott

mickeys work perfect but those goodyears dont look bad those drag radials almost look close to m/t in design