Good tires for GTA rims?

BuickMike

Money pit
I'm looking for good reviews on 245/50/16's for my GN. These tires are going to be used on the street. I don't want something so soft that they wear out fast, but at the same time would like the car to at least attempt to hook a bit.

Drag radials turn easy on these cars so anything less isn't going to hook on the street anyway unless you have a true stock car, so just run the cheapest tires you can as you'll be replacing them often anyway...:)

Drag radials turn easy on these cars so anything less isn't going to hook on the street anyway unless you have a true stock car, so just run the cheapest tires you can as you'll be replacing them often anyway...:)

Good point. My new setup (TE-44, 3200 stall, 212/212 cam, champion irons) has big block like throttle response so I'm sure it'll be a tire spin fest once I get everything dialed in and break in the motor. I did a short half throttle blast at 10psi and it was frying off my 275/50/15's. It already pulls harder than it did with 17psi on the old setup.

I have a set of 245/50/R16 Kumho Ecsta's on the back of my GN. If I boost it up a few psi they'll go up in smoke, but if I let it go at 2000rpm they hook up nice. Im gonna do a set of Falken's next, they're the only company that makes a 255/50/16 anymore. The BFG G-Force Sports are gone... :frown::mad:

Hi,

I have 245 50 16 Toyo Proxes 4 all around and am very happy with them. Excellent traction and they are not to hard and not to soft; I assume that is what you are looking for...

Regards,
Realspartan

Toyo Proxes TQ P275/45R16 fit good on my Ttype and hook pretty good too.

M&H 275 - 55 - 16 drag radials work great for me. A couple friends have them also and we're all happy with the look and drivability of the tires. Paul M&Htires.jpg

I'm kind of shying away from dr's because I may want to go on road trips. I also have a set of Convo Pro's that will eventually have 275/60/15 dr's on the rear and skinnies up front.

How many miles are you guys getting on your dr's?

Running a set of Falken ziex ze512. Good for mostly stock set up. But once you start making more power its time to look into a dr setup. Guys with the 275 tires. My 255 look close to the frame rails with gta fronts in the rear. How do you guys get them 275s to fit?

Will 255/50/16's fit on the front in any application? Wheel spacers?

I've read that the original GNX rims are different from the zero offset GTA fronts. Is this true? If so, what is the proper spacer to use when using GTA 16in fronts all around to mimic the GNX offset?

Looking to do the GNX clone thing. Flares, vents, rims, etc.

Pretty much have all the gear to make it happen, just gathering more info before starting.

I'm kind of shying away from dr's because I may want to go on road trips. I also have a set of Convo Pro's that will eventually have 275/60/15 dr's on the rear and skinnies up front.

How many miles are you guys getting on your dr's?

My Toyo's have been on for 2 years but I only make it to the track once a year, insured for the entire year but it only sees fair weather. Should get atleast 1 more season out of them.

They are not for the faint of heart in the rain but I was surprised how well they do drive in the rain. I don't force it around corners or put my foot into it when its wet.

Will 255/50/16's fit on the front in any application? Wheel spacers?

I've read that the original GNX rims are different from the zero offset GTA fronts. Is this true? If so, what is the proper spacer to use when using GTA 16in fronts all around to mimic the GNX offset?

Looking to do the GNX clone thing. Flares, vents, rims, etc.

Pretty much have all the gear to make it happen, just gathering more info before starting.
I have 245X50X16 in front and 255X50X16 in rear with spacers 5 Lug 4.75" To 5 x 4.75" Wheel Adapters Spacers 1" | eBay

001.jpg

I have a set of 245/50/R16 Kumho Ecsta's on the back of my GN. If I boost it up a few psi they'll go up in smoke, but if I let it go at 2000rpm they hook up nice. Im gonna do a set of Falken's next, they're the only company that makes a 255/50/16 anymore. The BFG G-Force Sports are gone... :frown::mad:

I'm running the Falkens. They keep traction well enough to drive safely on. You do have to be aware of rate of acceleration however. I did put on a pretty nice fishtail display when I had to make a u-turn on a 4 lane highway. I got into it a weeee-bit to much and did the 'fish-tail tango'. At the next red light a truck pulls up next to me and points, laughs and gives me the thumbs up. So yeah the Falkens are OK to drive on but you have to remember not to ask to much of them. They wear much slower than a DR but of course you know why.

Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone let me know what kind of mileage they get out of their DR's? I heard the Nitto's are good for hooking on the street and last a bit longer than other tires. I just would like to know how long? This is on a car that will get 8 runs max a year, and hopfully they will be done on another set of tires. My main goal for the 16's is for good cornering.

Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone let me know what kind of mileage they get out of their DR's? I heard the Nitto's are good for hooking on the street and last a bit longer than other tires. I just would like to know how long? This is on a car that will get 8 runs max a year, and hopfully they will be done on another set of tires. My main goal for the 16's is for good cornering.

My buddy got 10k miles out of a set of 255/60/15s mickey et streets but he never turned them and they were showing cords. I have 4k miles on mine with 50 or so passes.