good #'s on compression tests

rebuild or not

i saw one or what i thought was one but this went onto the radiator and had a blood pressure type of bulb to use to build pressure up. According to the instructions that how you used it. i really just want some definate answers. i'm considering letting a pro do it but if it's a simple test like the compression test then i think i can do this with some help. The tool looked like a big syringe type of tool with rubber on both sides to seal it off. Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

That is the engine block tester you are speaking of. A cylinder leakage tester, has two gauges on it that are connected to an air regulator. One gauge is for the shop side air being regulated and the other is on the cylinder side that indicates how much pressure the cylinder is able to hold. The engine block tester will indicate if you have a blown head gasket, cracked head or block where coolant is passing and the by-products of the combution process are leaking into that exposed area into the cooling sytem. The cylinder leakage test can go further with indicating intake and exhaust valve problems, rings, piston, block, and still show if the cylinder head or gasket is bad also. I hope this helps better. Sorry for the confusion.

heads

no confusion i just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. So i'll test it with that within a few days, not sure if i'll have the time to do it tomorrow but i'll try. So any idea's of prices to get a headgasket replaced if it's that? a reasonable headgasket job done and do i have to do both sides or can i concentrate on the side where the issue is?

no confusion i just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. So i'll test it with that within a few days, not sure if i'll have the time to do it tomorrow but i'll try. So any idea's of prices to get a headgasket replaced if it's that? a reasonable headgasket job done and do i have to do both sides or can i concentrate on the side where the issue is?

I would guess it would probably be in the range of $300.00 to $500.00 plus parts.

You can probably do just the one side and be ok, since looking at your signature the engine was rebuilt less than 20k miles ago.

John :smile:

rebuild

that is better news then a complete rebuild. i'll check into a few shops and may take it back to the owner i bought it from.i just wanted to know a decent price instead of going through this blind and getting taken advantage of. there are alot of shops that can do the work but i want it done right so i may take it to the seller because he knows alot more then anyone who hasn't turn a wrench on it.

that is better news then a complete rebuild. i'll check into a few shops and may take it back to the owner i bought it from.i just wanted to know a decent price instead of going through this blind and getting taken advantage of. there are alot of shops that can do the work but i want it done right so i may take it to the seller because he knows alot more then anyone who hasn't turn a wrench on it.

Just make sure the shop knows a bit about these cars and puts the correct HG in the motor, or ........ you need to do it again. :mad:

I say pump it full of air and see where its leaking forsure.

cheeaper then a leak down tester, and almost as accurate.

A.j.

Skip the leak down test, there's really no point. You know the cylinder is down so no matter what you're going to have to pull the head. It doesn't matter if it's a piston, ring, gasket, block, head, or valve. The head has to come off. So don't waste time/money on the leak down and pull the head.

There is always more than one way to address a problem. Everyone has there own approach. Utilize what works best for your situation, what you have available and take it from there. Hopefully it all works out.

compression

either way i'm guessing i'm going to have to redo the heads. it's ok with me since i'll be down with back surgery for a few months and i'm the only realy driver of the car. So i'll take it to a local reputable place and have both done so there won't i won't have to deal with this again unless it's a shody job.