Good luck passing smog

injdinjn

This is my 89 Trans Am bone stock. 5.7 TPI 93K

The guy that just tested my GTA said they lowered the pass numbers 30% Dec 1, 2011. Looks like he was right. I'm sure it's across the board.

Here are the pass numbers from Jan 2010
AT 15 mph AT 25 mph
HC CO NO HC CO NO
108 0.71 767 83 0.58 706

Here are the new numbers
76 0.50 537 58 0.40 494

I failed both HCs and the 15mph NO. I would have passed with flying colors at the old numbers.

This arbitary lowering of the allowed emissions is total BS.

Time to remove CARB and AQMD from the gene pool.

You have to understand that there is a push for everyone to go buy new cars by legislating them off the road. Obama is squarely behind saving union jobs he has an election to win.

You have to understand that there is a push for everyone to go buy new cars by legislating them off the road. Obama is squarely behind saving union jobs he has an election to win.

Not just Obomba, Sac wants you buying newer cars to increase sales tax and license fee revenues.

Personally I'm ready to find a 75 or older and upgrade the suspension and not have to deal with this.

Some smart alecks on gen with recently built 390rwhp motors bragged that their smog test numbers they would still pass. Well this is the 2nd 30% reduction in 2 years, 2 more 30% reductions and they won't pass either. And who will/can stop BAR from lowering the pass numbers?

I wonder if we told Al-quida that all BAR and CARB people burned the Koran.........

your chance of passing smog is about the same as the search returning useful results!

Under the new system put into effect last year sometime, we no longer have 60+ days to chase down a source. Now they send you your registration form on or about the date that it is due, and from there you have less than 60 days to chase down a sourced.

Under the new system put into effect last year sometime, we no longer have 60+ days to chase down a source. Now they send you your registration form on or about the date that it is due, and from there you have less than 60 days to chase down a sourced.

Legislation that went into effect May 4, 2011 per a notice I got

"This includes not sending a 60 day advance notice to renew and establishing a 30 day grace period before penalties are due.
Pay fees within 30 days of due date to avoid penalties.
Law enforcement will not cite vehicles until the first day of the second month after registration expires."

Whether I have the smog cert or not I always pay the fees on time - that avoids any penalty..

I wrote my State reps and one actually contacted the BAR and this is the BAR reply.
(I have not found a source for what the factory emission numbers were) anyone have a contact?

I order to give you a better answer to your questions, we sent your email to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair and asked them for a response. Here is what we got back from them:

“The Bureau of Automotive Repair is required by California law to continually evaluate the emissions of vehicles in California and we may adjust the pass fail requirements up or down by no more than 30%. The most recent revisions to the pass fail criteria were implemented in April 2011 and BAR has not changed the pass fail points since that time. BAR is prohibited by law from lowering the pass fail cut points lower than vehicles were originally required to meet. BAR uses analysis of the emissions of all vehicles in California in adjusting the pass fail cut points and allows for increases in emissions due to age, mileage, component wear etc. “

I know this probably don’t answer all of your questions, but I hope it helps. If you have additional questions, please feel free to call us.

Sincerely,

Greg Burt

District Representative for

Senator Mimi Walters

949-457-7333

What really ticks me off is our own govt is forcing us to by junk from China.

How, the EPA is forcing industry out of the USA and the govt makes it easy and cheap for them to import these products and the CEOs laugh all the way to the bank.

The EPA, CARB and the rest are actually making global pollution worse. When companies were here they refused to implement sensible pollution laws, so this along with labor, tax and product liability laws industry moved outside their jurisdiction to Countries with little or no pollution laws. Now they pollute more than they did here.

Mexico's ground water pollution flows into the USA, Salton Sea for one. Air pollution follows the winds from China to the western US. China is currently opening a new coal fired power plant EVERY MONTH for a ~5 year period and we are breathing China's air pollution this very day.

When the EPA and CARB curtail the pollution we get from other Countries then and only then will I abide by their laws. This could be done by banning imports from any Country that does not enact and enforce the same pollution laws we have here.

“The Bureau of Automotive Repair is required by California law to continually evaluate the emissions of vehicles in California and we may adjust the pass fail requirements up or down by no more than 30%. The most recent revisions to the pass fail criteria were implemented in April 2011 and BAR has not changed the pass fail points since that time. BAR is prohibited by law from lowering the pass fail cut points lower than vehicles were originally required to meet. BAR uses analysis of the emissions of all vehicles in California in adjusting the pass fail cut points and allows for increases in emissions due to age, mileage, component wear etc. “

Thats good news for me.... I passed last year, barely.... my guess is I will get popped for smog again this year since the last one was pulling the car out of PNO for many years.

If you have $20k to spend on a TB, then you can spend $200 on smog*, once every 2yrs.