good daily driver tire with grip????

Reply to wyk3d....

wyk3d, I have P275- 60- 15 Good Years Eagle GT II's mounted on GN 8" wide rims, and they're not too bad traction-wise, but considering the power of these cars, I don't really know of a tire that will handle all that torqur without breaking loose at one time or another! I can e-mail you some pics if you want, just let me knoW!
'Bye, Claude. :)

Reply to wyk3d....

wyk3d, I have P275- 60- 15 Good Years Eagle GT II's mounted on GN 8" wide rims, and they're not too bad traction-wise, but considering the power of these cars, I don't really know of a tire that will handle all that torque without breaking loose at one time or another! I can e-mail you some pics if you want, just let me knoW!
'Bye, Claude. :)

I just put Toyo 295X50 on mine. They hook ok, but not as well as the Nitto 275x50. The Nittos lasted less than 6k miles - I don't have enough miles on the Toyos yet to be able to tell about mileage. The Toyos cost about $100 each.

For those of you running the 16 in GNX type rims, I just installed a set of the Kuhmo EcSTA 712 Z rated tires on my car and love them. 245/50s on the front and 255/50s on the rear. The wet and dry traction is really good. On a hard traffic light launch with about 2 psi boost they haze slightly and then bite fine. Haven't had them to the track yet but will give them a good test in Bowling Green. I have a feeling they will do 1.9 - 2.0s 60 ft. and that's about all I could expect from a street radial. By the way, another good thing about the Kuhmos is the price. $87 for the fronts and $92 rears from Tire Rack.

tires

I personally like the BFG Radial T/A's. Pulled consistant 1.9 60ft on a 235/60/15. 265/50/15 hooked even better(no track times) they are same height as stock tires but are wide w/o looking that way from the side. 275/50/15 BFG DR had 1.75 60ft@1# launch at slick track,was leaving off a concrete brige w/5-6# and hooking very well earlier that day. For years I would run Goodyear 225/60/15 "Gatorbacks" off GA State Patrol stangs,@ $25 ea mounted and balanced they were cheap and were guilt free for big burnouts!!! They hooked pretty well and pulled a few 2.0 60ft.
A 275/60/15 DR is a little taller and "kills a little of the gear and hooks a little better. But it makes the rear stand up a little bit. If you go that route all the time you should get the front end r

ealigned because it will be out and wont drive quite the same.
But if you have too much power its useless as a guy I know has a girdled short block,GN1 heads etc and can blow 275/50/15 radials off at will @15# in 2nd they go to waste!

BFG Comp T/A Radial! - 275/50/15 or the 295/50/15.

I run the 295/50/15 and love 'em. I paid about $90 a piece for them and they hook well on the street and strip. I've gotten a best of a 1.72 60' out of them as well! I drive my car VERY hard on the street (that's why I built it), but still expect to get about 20k miles out of these tires.

Note: The 295/50/15's may not fit on all cars. I have to run a small spacer on the drivers side wheel, but two of my other friends have not problems at all. I know two others that ran the 275/50/15's and they seemed to like them as well. Tirerack.com has the 295/50/15's for $98 right now ( http://tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=Radial+T/A ).

Good luck,
-Banning.