good daily driver tire with grip????

wyk3d

Car wiring sucks!
Does such a tire exist that doesnt wear after 5k miles but still has some decent grip for playing on the street??

Dan

Pricewise, the Dunlop high ends might be one of the better deals...The expensive Goodyears and Bridgestone/Firestones are good. I have some Firestone SZs that are outstanding but they ain't cheap.

Michilin may have some good ones as well. The problem with some brands may be the difficulty in finding good, wide ones..

Based on what I had read here, I got 4 Futura tires from Pep Boys. After filling out an application for a credit card and getting 10% off, it cost me $282 for all 4 tires, mounted, with basic warrantee. Can't vouch for their wear yet, but I was really happy with the traction I got at the track. I have not pushed them hard enough to find their limit of traction (yet), but the times below were on these tires. BTW, got the 255-60 on back, 225-60 on front.

im looking for something in the elusive 275/60/15. I know i just cut my chances to basically nothing.

Dan

Nittos are supposed to last about 10,000 miles. I've had mine for over 2 years and they are just starting to show wear. Although I've only driven about 2-3000 miles in that time.

I've heard good things about the pep boys tires. They are fairly cheap and are pretty sticky, and you can get them in about any size. There are a lot of guys down here running them.

I got 6K miles on my last set of BFG Drag radials 275/60/15 and would have gotten more but one of them blew out on me so I just decided to replace the set.

i thought about those but its a daily driver as well......ive heard the horror stories of driving with a wet road.....id like to live :)

Dan

Originally posted by wyk3d
i thought about those but its a daily driver as well......ive heard the horror stories of driving with a wet road.....id like to live :)

Dan

My GN is the only car that I own so I drive it everyday and havent had a problem in the rain yet. Thank goodness I have a motorcycle for times like this when the GN is out of commission. I'm on my second set so far. The 275/60/15's have a deeper tread than the 50 series.

I've got 20k on my BFG Radial T/As
Tread looks great - and I am always test and tuning on the street;)

hey wolf or any one do you guys hook good at the track with the drag radials. I'm lookin for a new tire myself and need some opinion on tires to any info would be great like what are yall gettin 60 foot times with the tires you suggest.

Im also interested in picking up a set of Nitto's and would be interested in some 60' times also what sizes you went with for a stock T rims. Ive gotten a best of 1.8's on my 255 60/15s bfg street radials but alot of 2.0's and was hoping for better
dave

I am looking for a set of tires for the rear and would like a fairly wide look. How much wider would a 50 series be than a 60 series? Is there a big difference between a 245/50/15 than a 245/60/15?

so no other suggestions other than DR's that get around 6K in wear before u have to spend another 300? Someone has to make a tire in 275/60/15 that isnt a DR and gets decent traction????

Dan

As to whether your car will hook decently with a regular radial(non-drag), it just depends on how powerful your car is and how good of a suspension setup you have. I couldn't get my old street tires to hook for the life of me, even from a 50-60 mph roll. I always ran 23 psi boost with my 110 race chip and alcohol though on the street. The drag radials helped out substantially but I would still break them loose anywhere before about 30 mph if I didnt heat them up. As to how well they work at the track, I only had one track visit on them and was getting low 1.8 60' but I chalked the problem up to my drivers side airbag not holding air. Once I got the airbag problem fixed and learned how to launch on them more I was getting out of the hole much harder but that was on the street so I cant give you any hard numbers. My opinion on this matter is that if your car is low 12's or faster in street trim(everyday), you will probably not be able to find a non-drag radial tire that will make you happy. Hell, if I didnt have to drive in the rain on occasion I wouldnt even bother with drag radials, I'd be running ET Streets right now:cool: .

Pep Boys futura tires for street radials and price, also one of the stickiest street tires I've seen.

BFG drag radials for best hook at the track. They are dangerous in the rain and only last about 5000 miles

Nittos are good for maximum grip on the street and are good in the rain. You may give up a 1/10 at the track compared to the BFG DRs

My BFG radial TAs were scary on the street with anything near 20lbs of boost. I couldn't wait to get rid of them.

in my opinion the nittos suck. no better than a regular radial unless you get them real hot. they do tend to last but i wont buy then again. i think any car making over 300hp to the rear tires should run 275-60-15 bf drag radials. they hook great.

Hmmm, I like my BFG radial T/As for everyday use. I've pulled 1.9 60' on them, so they hook decent for a reg old street tire. I just do a decent burnout then launch with 4-5#....they don't spin too bad...most of the time.. :D However..when they lose traction, they don't like hooking back up. As for the wear, I've got 30-35K miles on em (lots of 1/4 passes as well) and still pretty good tread left. I'm running 265/50-15 on an 8" rim, so it has a fairly wide contact patch. JMO on the tire deal.

Tires?

I agree with Steve up top, I have a set of firestone's and I've pulled a 1.86 60' at the track. They have my vote. :cool:

I have a brand new set of 275/60's BFG Radial TA's (about 80 bucks a piece mounted and balanced) and just finished getting a few runs on them at the track this past wednesday. I droped the pressure to 25psi and did NOT heat them up and was getting 2.0's on them. Thats pretty good considering I was in full street trim with only 16psi and launching with only 2-3 psi. I would have prolly gotten into the 1.9's but I didn't want to waste them by doing a burn out, or trying to leave harder (6psi , as I did on my last run and I totally went sideways and got a 2.2 60').

They are good tires.

:cool:

There are a few choices...

I used to run Cooper Corbras in a 235/60-15 and managed a few 1.8s in a mid-12 second GN. "Light them on fire" during the burnout and they hook pretty well.:D 1.9s were the norm.

Corbras come in all the sizes -- 255/60, 275/50 and 275/60. I think a 255/60 would fit the 7" rim well and maybe 1.8s would be the norm.