Going to do the 84-87 ECM swap soon..anything to look out for?

TurboRegal84

Staff member
It has come time that I need a scantool...I have been busy gethering the matrials for swapping ECM's

87 MAF Delco with 5K on it is on its way....

The MAT Wires are Ran I just need to solder on the connector, and make the connections at the ECM----But Does it matter what wires I use as the ground and the signal wire on the MAT Sensor..the plug that I bought has the same color wires..and all it says on the connector is A and B over the two wires. Will it make a big difference if I get the connections mixed up..or will it not matter at all because it is a two way sensor.

I have a Brand new 87 ECM...Should I use the cal-pack out of my 84?

As for a Chip..I think that I might have Jim Testa do his magic for me!

Please give me any pointers that you all have learned from experience!

FYI....Scanmaster 2 is coming too so I will finally be able to tune my car and get some decent track times!

Hey Herb...I can't really help much here but let me know how it goes...
I think my ECM is bad - so I may follow in your foot steps.

Jon

I'm hoping to do the same thing this weekend if my new chip comes from Jay Carter.

The info that I read said that the Cal-Pak needs to be #16036503 or 16036504. I bought a new one from GM for about $17. I think that ATR sells them for $9.95 plus shipping.

I still haven't checked the # of the original Cal-Pak in my '85 ECM, but something that I read recently (can't find it again) makes me think that it make be one of these two numbers which will work--check first before buying another.

I ordered a TOMCO replacement MAF from Postons for $89. They told me that earlier ones had some calibration problems, but that they are working out great now -- does anyone have any experience with these TOMCO units??

There's a good write-up on this conversion on the GNTTYPE.ORG site.

I ordered a TOMCO replacement MAF from Postons for $89. They told me that earlier ones had some calibration problems, but that they are working out great now -- does anyone have any experience with these TOMCO units??

[/B]

I have heard with the Reman MAF's it is a toss up...some run great, and people have never had any problems with them, and on the other hand some just dont work out of the box! I was going to go the Reman way but I didnt want to mess around!

Originally posted by Cheesehead

I've bought 2 of the Tomcos, both working very well. :D

Cheesehead you got the right cal-pak #'s.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8312

Good choice of chips, too!