Going the Wrong Way...

roboteq-1

Fastoy
How would it be possible to detune a T Type so that it would be suitable for a teenage boy to drive? I want to keep the turbo alive but want my son to learn to respect the car gently without wrapping it around a pole.:eek:
Thanks!
Robert

ok...

I don't want to kill it entirely- would an adjustable wastegate or a custom chip be the way to go?:rolleyes:

Get an adjustable wastegate from RJC and turn it down to 9 psi. Or have turbotweak burn you a chip that goes to 9psi.

uh oh...

Hey Dave, why are there stripes all the way down the street, and where'd you get that manual...?:eek:--Gee Dunno Dad:D

If you can keep it under 10 psi and low timing in the chip you "should" be ok. I would remove the wastegate. If you think the 16 year olds today won't figure out how to make it powerful whan you arent around, shame on you.

Haha, i got pretty stupid when i first got my car about a year ago (16 years old), i pulled a 360 once, and almost hit a telephone pole. Learned not to drive like an idiot quick :D. Decided to get a little sideways with my friend in the car, and didn’t know much about turbo lag.

Or,.. You could get really real with him and let him know that if anything negative happens, then **** really scatters when it gets in the fan.... leave everything as is and go on.

buy him a beater and make it more powerful! why take the chance and have a teen destroy a nice car.

I was once a teen and im glad my dad never let me out of the garage with anything more than 100 hp. 100 alone was enough to get me into trouble.

Get him a beater, make him learn to maintain it and keep it running - give him a chance to absorb and appreciate the automotive art..... he will appreciate you more for a life long skill that will help him from being cheated, and save on minor repairs. give a man a fish, he eats for a day..... teach a man to fish....

:biggrin:A.j.

good points all

He's got an 87 regal V8 that I just gad the carb rebuilt on- I AM NOT going to try an electronic Q-jet!! - the car will now get out of its own way-barely. I must admit, this is my youngest boy and he and I are much closer than the oldest-6 yrs apart- The oldest knows when I go he gets my T/R and David will end up with my 550hp '76 Regal w/ T Tops. - I digress, I guess cause we're so close and he still likes hanging around Dad I kinda was leaning towards aT/R to 1) spoil him while teaching him to respect it and 2) its FI and runs alot better. This is a very laid back kid who is not into peer pressure and is so relaxed you sometimes wonder if he's dead. I don't drive the T/R much cause I"LL get stupid- I've put 3kmiles in 12 years on the car !!- opinions???:confused:

I think you have already sold yourself on what your going to do..However, I would buy a starter car(beater, throw away, whatever you want to call it) and let him earn his strips and your trust in driving safely! Newbie and a fast car, one accident, maybe horrible...YOU would not forgive yourself!

GC

my first car was a $200 81 regal. my dad and i put a 305 in it.. he had a 327 i wanted in it, but he thought id kill myself. lets just say the 305 didnt last long. it lost oil pressure and threw 2 rods through the oil pan. it was a happy day for me:)

i say get him a beater for now

hmmm id buy him an 80s chrysler turbo car that way he can learn and they are cheap and can be made decently fast if he figures it out...Then everything he learns can be applied to th TR once he learns to respect the power...i tool out a fair share of rustangs with my daytona when i was 17-23 i also crashed two of them but i wasnt at fault either time...That or you could "customize" a wastegate so it wont let the car build boost "it will take him a while to figure that one out....

hmmm id buy him an 80s chrysler turbo car that way he can learn and they are cheap and can be made decently fast if he figures it out...Then everything he learns can be applied to th TR once he learns to respect the power...i tool out a fair share of rustangs with my daytona when i was 17-23 i also crashed two of them but i wasnt at fault either time...That or you could "customize" a wastegate so it wont let the car build boost "it will take him a while to figure that one out....

aries k car :cool:

No not a k car get him a omni glh or a daytona turbo...I still got a lot of that stuff layin around ive actually been thinkin about buyin another on to put all my parts in...

OK- the "Nays" have it. I will let him learn on his 87- Actually a very nice car- we're the second owners off an older couple, and I wouldn't bet its got a rebuilt motor- its too clean...Anyways since the carb was done, it fires right up cold and you have to seriously try to flood it so that it won't start. I took him for a test in 510TURBO's car which is a good deal for someone, but he likes "his" Regal better ( much nicer interior ) . We'll do a few dress-ups on it, and if he doesn't splatter it, I'll teach him how to do a garage paint/body job to clean up the nicks/dings/fade and a few blings and he'll be good. The car already has rally rims with all the caps and a landau w/ opera lights- kinda pimpy but it's totally different from what his peers have, and a lot more style.:biggrin:
Thanks for all the advice!!