Going intercooled

There is a very slight dimensional difference in the 84/85 IAC pintle and the 86/87 one, but
I did use my 84 at least for a while. They won't interchange unless you use the matching housing.
IE, the 84/85 IAC AND housing and the 86/87 IAC AND 86/87 housing. Use the matching housing
and everything else will work. I found this out the hard way, btw!

I'm confused with how to route my vacuum lines. The 87 diagram doesn't give much info.

More pics

Attachments

• IMG_20160512_184343.jpg
    IMG_20160512_184343.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_20160512_184242.jpg
    IMG_20160512_184242.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 251
Cool setup brad what vacuum lines are you confused about? I would get a spool of vac line and just run new lines.

Brad_H, You are in the ZONE NOW... Everything looks good. I can tell you the FIRST TIME you nail her, ALL THE FRUSTRATIONS will be worth it. Just remember you STILL have a LOW TIMING car... When you call Eric at Turbo Tweak, just let him know what you have done to car. Only thing I could think to add is 80LBS injectors... If you are gonna use e85. Great Job..

Brad_H, You are in the ZONE NOW... Everything looks good. I can tell you the FIRST TIME you nail her, ALL THE FRUSTRATIONS will be worth it. Just remember you STILL have a LOW TIMING car... When you call Eric at Turbo Tweak, just let him know what you have done to car. Only thing I could think to add is 80LBS injectors... If you are gonna use e85. Great Job..
Can't I just adjust my timing? I'm going to use my 42lb injectors and chip combo

Do you have any track times or dybo numbers?

Im curious to see how much it benefits from this conversion.

I mean what if e85 alone gets you the results and you have less headaches just doing e85. I know intercooler has to help but curious how much power it gains from the conversion

Do you have any track times or dybo numbers?

Im curious to see how much it benefits from this conversion.

I mean what if e85 alone gets you the results and you have less headaches just doing e85. I know intercooler has to help but curious how much power it gains from the conversion
Haven't taking it to the track or had it dyno'd yet, still in the process of looking for a throttle cable and detent bracket

As for e85....there ain't any gas station around for that.
Cool air supplied from the intercooler is free and unlimited
86/87 intake manifold is better flowing, even then a pro ported 84/85 intake
Throttle body coming off the intake instead of turbo improves throttle response.

Haven't taking it to the track or had it dyno'd yet, still in the process of looking for a throttle cable and detent bracket

As for e85....there ain't any gas station around for that.
Cool air supplied from the intercooler is free and unlimited
86/87 intake manifold is better flowing, even then a pro ported 84/85 intake
Throttle body coming off the intake instead of turbo improves throttle response.

It would be interesting to see an e85 hot air dyno compared to a hotair with the 86/7 intake running on e85 as well.

I was thinking of one day doing what you did. But it would be nice to see how much i would gain.

Im running 22ish psi of boost with my car. With no tune just whats in the chip.

Had no codes before the intake install and new injectors+chip .....now I have a code 42

So every thing from the 86-87 will bolt right up and the intake also what mods has to be done to intake ? I see oil return line what do you have to do to use the stock turbo from the 86-87 ?

You will have to mod the bonnet on the 87 intake.
IMAG0497.jpg
You will have to drill a hole in the 87 intake for oil return. You can use the 84 oil return line after you drill the hole. The 87 exhaust will work if you use a test pipe. You can either order the Hooker Exhaust that comes with a test pipe or a Pypes Exhaust system that also comes with test pipe.

oil mod.jpeg

This is a example of a oil mod. You can drive 5/8 to 13/16 hole and glue grommet. Then just push the return line just like the 84 Intake.

Hey thankyou very for the info and pics just got an 84 and want to get it to run good .how long is the test pipe ?

Test pipe is 2 1/2 in diameter. Test pipes generally are 12-13 inches long.. If you are using the stock downpipe, you will have to adapt 2 1/4 to 2 1/2. Most likely you will be changing the downpipe to 2 1/2 or 3".