Going from T63E to a GT turbo??

Chris Taylor

Got 6?
I have been thinking about upgrading to a biger turbo for my set up. I have been running a T63E. I have heard good things about the GT turbo and need some info. on the GT turbos. I don't drive this car on the street. I have two other Buicks for street use. This is my race car and I am looking for a little more. I am looking for some 6.0's or 5.90's in the 1/8th mile. I have ran 6.50's with no problem but will need more turbo to run 6.0's. TIA

Set up:

Proted irons 1.77 valves
T&D rockers
Ported intake
Comp 212/212
72# injectors (have new 83# if needed)
RJC PP
.030 over w/file fit rings
RJC girdle
Custom Liquid I/C
Power glide w/brake
3400 stall
Soon to be MAFless with ME set up
Race gate
28x10 MT slicks
Upgraded stock rear-end

I don't know much about the GT turbos, but I do know that was my set up with a 70bb except i had alluminum heads and 3500 stall. Ran an 11.2 with 15lbs of boost and street timing.

I find it hard to believe that your turbo is holding you back at this point....what are your 60' times? How much boost?

Your combo should be as strong as mine (at least....)

If you really want an upgrade, get a 72 and more stall on the converter

I am running around 25-26#s of boost. In the 1.40's 60' times. The stall is around 3500rpm.

My set up is very strong IMO. I would think a 6.50 in the 1/8th would be around a mid 10 sec. pass in the 1/4. This is good for a T63e IMO. I guess I could lean on it some more but would think a larger turbo would make things a little easer.

I have thought about a T72 or a PT 72 turbo but have harad good things about the GT's, just looking for some info..

depending on weight, 6.50's would be very low 10's....mid 10's can be had (even on my 3700 lb car) with 6.8 and a good 60'

if you are running 6.50's, a bigger turbo will just blow things up sooner.......

I think you need a pt-76 and a better motor.I don`t know anybody in the country that has run 6.0s in the 1/8 with a stock block . I think this might be a bit harder to do than you think. I have a car that runs TSM and our best is 6.30 in the 1/8 running 9.90s in the 1/4. I have some friends that run 5.90s thats 9.00-9.20s in the 1/4 .

Laz is right. 6.50's to 6 oooh's takes a major increase in power or a lot of work with a sawzall. A local guy has been 5.90's but it's a full weight car with Stage 2, champion heads and a 88 turbo.

That 6.50 of yours should be in the 10.20-10.30 range in a 1/4. Just a turbo like a 72 is not gonna get you close to 6.0's. 6.30's with a stock block and iron heads is as fast as I've seen.

This is some of the feed back I was looking for.

I will be taking some weight out of the car. Hope to see 2900#'s after the diet.

I think at this time I will change turbos to see what if any increase in ET I will gain.

I was wondering about the GT turbos but may go with a PT72 to see if I see any changes.

Thanks for the good info.

CT

Chris....

I just recently got my new engine running...it has a 4 bolt T-66 GTQ. Damn thing won't spool even after changing the timing and fuel map a lot. I've only taken it up to 15 psi and at that level it pulls very strong so I don't have any complaint with the top end.

I'm using a 9" nl AC converter that I used and LOVED with my T63E. Instant spool.

I'm going to get a new 9/11 converter with higher stall and see if that will allow it to spool up...if not I'll send it back to John for an "old style" turbine wheel or perhaps a smaller A/R housing... although I know John is big on keeping back pressure down by using the larger housings.