Going back and forth with a Z06!!!

3.8L V-8 eater

Hi, to all :smile:

Took off in the car tonight looking for a little action. Decided to just get on the highway and head east for awhile to see what I could get into.

Well about 15 minutes in to the drive had a kid in a ricer come up on me with a purpose, but he quickly realized it was a waste of his time and he dropped back and stayed put!!

Finally decided to head back in the other direction when I came up on a late model red Corvette. Pulled next to him gased the throttle and he was game cause As I got off the throttle he went flying by. As he let out I got into his lane cause of traffic and right on his bumper and we waited for an opening as we were slowed down by traffic again.

Got next to him and as I tried to pace him evenly he took off and got the jump. I noticed once I went WOT the distance remained the same and when I shifted to O.drive the car got a good surge and I was closing ever sooo slightly and at well over a hundred he let out... Several times we passed each other playing around, but I was getting aggrivated cause we never took off at the same time :frown: The way I seen it this would have been a hell of a race if we could of got in sinc and went at the same time.

After miles of this playin around I got off on an exit and noticed he was getting off also. I was turning right and him left. He honked his horn as I was rolling down the window.

Him: Did you build that thing yourself?? what's in it??
Me: Ya, put a new motor in it this spring. It's a 3.8 Litre V-6 with a turbo.

Him: Really
Me: Is that a Z06 (As I leaned forward I could see the badge on the fender)

Him: Ya, it's a Z06 with over 400 HP!! Man we were door to door that's a nice ride!!
Me: Thanks!! You too!!!

I was surprised to be right their with a Vette seeing most of these exchanges started at 75 MPH or more and went to speeds well in excess of a hundred :D Good thing I got off when I did cause the alky tank was on empty and I had just filled before I left!! Worth every drop!!

Sounds like you've got that thing running pretty good Tony. I remember riding in my uncle's '07 Z06 and it pulled pretty hard. I seem to remember him saying it was rated at 505 HP; I think the earlier Z06s had less. Did he happen to say what year it was? Was it a C5 or C6? Either way a V6 keeping up with it is pretty damn respectable. I'd like to catch a ride in your car sometime and see how it feels.

I finally have my 3000 stall convertor installed and my car is running a lot better now. I can now build 10 lbs. or more boost against the brakes and fry the tires pretty good whereas before I couldn't get anything (check out the fresh patch I left on Brownhelm Station Rd. sometime LOL). I'm afraid something is up with my transmission though; it just doesn't feel right. I might be looking at doing something about that this winter. Steelers are playing later tomorrow evening; you going to Quaker?

Sounds like you've got that thing running pretty good Tony. I remember riding in my uncle's '07 Z06 and it pulled pretty hard. I seem to remember him saying it was rated at 505 HP; I think the earlier Z06s had less. Did he happen to say what year it was? Was it a C5 or C6? Either way a V6 keeping up with it is pretty damn respectable. I'd like to catch a ride in your car sometime and see how it feels.

I finally have my 3000 stall convertor installed and my car is running a lot better now. I can now build 10 lbs. or more boost against the brakes and fry the tires pretty good whereas before I couldn't get anything (check out the fresh patch I left on Brownhelm Station Rd. sometime LOL). I'm afraid something is up with my transmission though; it just doesn't feel right. I might be looking at doing something about that this winter. Steelers are playing later tomorrow evening; you going to Quaker?

10lbs of boost is damn good on the foot brake. I can't hold any before spinning :( Next step for me is to get the S-10 wheel cylinders and change out the brake fluid, but really if I were able to build boost it would spin the tires worse than it does at 0 lbs of boost :eek:

My wife is out today and I'm the sitter so no Quaker for me :frown:

Later

That would be a C5 Z06. A C6 Z06 is 505 bhp with a hugh top end. Be carefull, they're not all the same. Got mine off the dyno Friday - 720 rwhp on 91 pump gas.

Ya, I know what you mean about the C6... Problem is now a days you have to watch out for everything :eek:

10lbs of boost is damn good on the foot brake. I can't hold any before spinning :( Next step for me is to get the S-10 wheel cylinders and change out the brake fluid, but really if I were able to build boost it would spin the tires worse than it does at 0 lbs of boost :eek:

My wife is out today and I'm the sitter so no Quaker for me :frown:

Later
Add newfangled hydroboost then youll break ur transmission b4 ur tires break loose:biggrin:

Don't worry; you didn't miss a thing. Only about 10 cars at most showed up, everybody else was too scared of the cold or something.

Wow, can't believe it has died down to nothing already :confused: Love o drive mine in this wheather makes good power :D

What's the average cost of this conversion??? What cars did they come on???

Don't see any reason it couldn't be done for less than $200 using all new (or remanufactured) parts. I think I remember reading that a remanufactured hydroboost unit for an earlier TR runs about $115-$150 (including the master cylinder) then you just have to have a couple of hoses made up to tie into the power steering lines. I still have yet to clean up the used hydroboost unit I bought in BG and try it out on my car to see if it works or just use it as a core to get a remanufactured one. Probably will make a good winter project.

Wow, can't believe it has died down to nothing already :confused: Love o drive mine in this wheather makes good power :D

I agree about driving in the cool weather. When I pulled into Quaker on Sunday my first thought was that it was a huge waste of gas (expensive gas too, since Sunoco no longer has 94 octane I filled it up with the 100 octane at Speedway; cost a bit over $80. I see alky in my future). It was a fun drive though! I'm sure if the weather improves there will be a lot more people going yet this year. They were probably worried about getting rained on too since the sky didn't look so great that day. Stayed dry out though.

What's the average cost of this conversion??? What cars did they come on???
You can use one off of a late 90s astrovan the prob is the brake rod had to be shortened or you have to fab up a spacer to make it work ...
i personally wanna see someone fab up a spacer (im workin on a wood one and i got a buddy that can carve it outta aluminum once i get it right)so if the hydroboost quits you can get one at a parts house and bolt it on..

i got mine from pic a part for $27 bucks by the time its all said and done youll have $200 or so into it new hoses and master cyl..
If you have the long shoes and s 10 wheel cylinders youll have to take them off cause the rear tires will lock before the fronts if you dont..Theres a well documented thread on here pics and all....:biggrin: