Go internal or external?

Tin Man

Rebuilding the motor again. Need crank, rods and pistons. Builder/machine shop recommended stroker since the price will be the same. May race it once a year, so mostly a street car. Is it worth the extra $ (parts) to go internal balance? I already have a JW wheel for external.

Any vendors reading, looking to buy parts today. Hoping for a Christmas deal to pop up.

Thanks

In theory, internal balance is better for crankshaft longevity. External balance supposedly imparts excessive twist to a crank.

Internal and a BHJ neutral balancer. TA also makes a balncer for internally balanced cranks for a little less $ that should be ok for a street build.

Rebuilding the motor again. Need crank, rods and pistons. Builder/machine shop recommended stroker since the price will be the same. May race it once a year, so mostly a street car. Is it worth the extra $ (parts) to go internal balance? I already have a JW wheel for external.

Any vendors reading, looking to buy parts today. Hoping for a Christmas deal to pop up.

Thanks

PM sent! We are having a sale on stroker kits and stock stroke kits starting Monday thru Christmas Day

I would always go internally balanced , no need for stroker Id stay 235 ci , my motor going on 11yrs still going strong and I dont baby it when I take it out, I cruise but always love feeling that boost :) mines a low ten second build

Unless you have a forged crank especially machined for external balance all domestic BMS and off-shore cranks are machined for internal use.

Over the years, we have had a few runs of forged cranks built with external balance for owners like you can have a forged crank w/o the additional expense of new flex plate or balancer.

Street engines very seldom see more than 5-6000 RPM even at the occasional track visit, and at this level it will make no difference at all between internal or external balance.

What can make a big difference is using a stock, 30 year-old, hammered stock cast crank with a high fatigue factor over a new forged crank.

Some guys brag about their stock cast crank in the 10's or even 9's, so a external balance forged crank should not be reliable there?

Racers subject their engines to high RPM and boost levels, hard launches and brutal shifts and break a lot of stuff so their upper limit of reliability may be slightly raised and if the trash a crank, flexplate or balancer, it can be easily replaced out-of-the-box and continue on with their fun.

Bottom line in my experience and opinion, unless it is a very high output race engine, external will be fine in most all V-6 turbo builds.

We have an out-dated engine that is over 50 years old when first built, and most all modern engines are now internal balance as that makes production and repair much more simple.

I do stupid stuff when bored like now using a production 4.1 block in my race car to see how long and fast in the 9's it will go without coming apart, so maybe I should next use an external crank to see how that works out?

Just food for thought:

I've been having this clunking coming from the bottom end of my sbc on start up. I took a look today and found my flex plate cracked in several places. Turns out it's external balance. How accurate will the balance be when I change the plate out?... Internal would be 100% the same if flex plate is zero balance This is what I base my decision on when we build a new engine because these things do happen
image.jpeg

TurboElky,

If you take your old flexplate and the replacement to a good machinist who is well versed in balancing, He should be able to spin the old plate and tell you how close it is to the new plate. If it is really FUBAR'd you might need to tack weld the pieces back together to make this happen.

He should also be able to match the new plate to the old.

With an external balance engine, it is preferred to make the corrections on the crank and leave the balancer and flywheel unmodified. It makes replacement a no brainer.

Thanks Dave. I understand what you're saying. I was just pointing out the simplicity of internal balance flex plate swap. It's just a stock sbc, it will be alright ;)