GNX turbo clean out

BBcallaway

I tried today to remove the clean out plug. Very tight...and I mean very tight. Didnt want to force it. Any tips on getting it out. I dont know when the last time it was done.
Thanks

I would take the turbo completely off and clean if out that way.....if you get the plug off.... put a little I mean a little anti seize on it you don't want it going through the turbo....you will be surprised how much is in the clean out. For getting the plug out I would try the loctite freeze and release....good luck.

http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/pdf/FreezeReleaseSS.pdf

Thanks Rick. Removing the entire turbo sounds like alot of work...I will try the loctite first. If I do end up removing the turbo, any advise you can pass on. I am sure I can do the re and re but some tips can help. Is there anything that would need to be replaced,gaskets etc.

Bruce

The only advice ....when you remove the oil return line bolt from the turbo save them...put studs on the turbo, it makes it 100% easier to re install the oil return line. Removing the turbo is not that hard just time consuming....good luck with the loctite let us know what happens. You will most likely need to replace the gaskets they have been on for quite some time....

Be careful. Do not round it. I can't recall if it's a straight or tapered thread. If it's straight you can take the correct size socket head and shorten it till it's just above the head of the plug and strike it hard straight in with a heavy hammer. That hard hit will break the oxidation between the two pieces. Then use a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF as penetrant. Let it soak for a while. It will wick down the threads after it's been hit with the heavy hammer. If you by chance rounded it you can weld on a nut and extract it with a socket. Worse case scenario you can mill it out in a Bridgeport. I would remove the turbo before attempting removal. Do not attempt to remove the ex housing. If it cocks too much on removal and hits the turbine it will shatter. Removal if the ex housing is difficult but can be done. If you ever need to remove it pm me i'll tell you how to avoid breaking the turbine.

The only advice ....when you remove the oil return line bolt from the turbo save them...put studs on the turbo, it makes it 100% easier to re install the oil return line. Removing the turbo is not that hard just time consuming....good luck with the loctite let us know what happens. You will most likely need to replace the gaskets they have been on for quite some time....
Ray. Do you know if the j-bracket was machined out to give clearance to the contamination trap? Or does a GN bracket have the same knotch.

The turbo mounting brackets is not machined any differently . But a spacer was added to the bracket for the larger turbo cover needed for the turbo with the contamination trap. See attached picture.

Attachments

• DSCN1645.JPG
    DSCN1645.JPG
    733.1 KB · Views: 78
Ok. I had to remove the entire bracket to get the turbo out. It is going to be a pain to put the 2 mounting bolts back in along with the ground wire..