GNX Suspension Installation

88hurstolds

Turbo Olds
I am currently installing a GNX rear suspension kit in my '88 Cutlass.
I ran into a couple issues with the bushings, does anyone know how they are installed and which way they should face on the pan hard bar and ladder bar?

I am assuming the flanges should be on the LH side on the ladder bar and the flanges on the pan hard bar (which has the ends somewhat angled) they should be on the side of the bar that angles less than 180*.

For the RH frame bracket which secures both stiff hard and pan hard bars, were any modifications / grinding required to the upper spring perch to get the bracket to sit flush?

The directions stat that some is required, just want to know who's done what...

Hard to describe but I had to grind a little off the portion that curves down to get clearance for the inside 90* area of the bracket so it can sit flush on the frame.
I also took about 1/4 off the portion of the bracket where it sits flush to the frame.
Is exact positioning critical for this bracket? Essentially my bracket is now sitting 1/4" up higher allowing for the ends of the pan hard bar and stiff hard bar to sit 1/4" higher.

The rear cover is giving me problems as well.
All bolts line up with exception to very bottom bolt.
I don't want to force it or drill it out, has anyone experienced this?

I am currently installing a GNX rear suspension kit in my '88 Cutlass.
I ran into a couple issues with the bushings, does anyone know how they are installed and which way they should face on the pan hard bar and ladder bar?

I am assuming the flanges should be on the LH side on the ladder bar and the flanges on the pan hard bar (which has the ends somewhat angled) they should be on the side of the bar that angles less than 180*.

For the RH frame bracket which secures both stiff hard and pan hard bars, were any modifications / grinding required to the upper spring perch to get the bracket to sit flush?

The directions stat that some is required, just want to know who's done what...

Hard to describe but I had to grind a little off the portion that curves down to get clearance for the inside 90* area of the bracket so it can sit flush on the frame.
I also took about 1/4 off the portion of the bracket where it sits flush to the frame.
Is exact positioning critical for this bracket? Essentially my bracket is now sitting 1/4" up higher allowing for the ends of the pan hard bar and stiff hard bar to sit 1/4" higher.

The rear cover is giving me problems as well.
All bolts line up with exception to very bottom bolt.
I don't want to force it or drill it out, has anyone experienced this?

Where did you get it from? Might try getting a hold of Pete Hoffman @ Kirban Performance he should be able to help you out...

OK... the Ladder Bar bushing flange is on the LH (or drivers side)
The bushing for the pan hard bar the LH side on the front and the RH is facing the back of the vehicle.

NO modification should be needed for the upper spring perch to get the bracket to sit flush...may needed some rework on the bracket.

And if you are not using fixtures for the installing the assemblies please stop....

And you should not have issues with the rear cover....can not help you there..

Take pictures and I may be able to help you out more....regards rick

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the bushings, I have them correct from looking at some photos online.
Yes I am using the jigs, followed each step in order required.

Thanks for the info on the bushings, I have them correct from looking at some photos online.
Yes I am using the jigs, followed each step in order required.

Sounds good if you run into issues please post a PIC and I will see if I can help.....have fun..
Just curious what are you doing for the exhaust system.

Wow I wish I had seen this post. I just finished mine. I wandered about the bushings also. And my kit came with the wrong bushings, I found out after pressing them in and trying to install it. Well Pete help me get it all fixed and I am amazed at how well the car rides and corners.

What is everyone running for rear shocks? The rear of the car likes to lift up and down in the burnout box.

I have Bilstine all around and love it. Just went on the Hot Rod Power Tour and it road great.

image.jpg