gnx question

chris718

in good faith i purchased a set of gnx rims from a board member for a customer of mine.after 1 month the customer came back enraged telling me they werent gnx rims but from an 89 tta.the 2 rims marked rear will not fit the rear and the offset makes them hit the frame.also there is visible gold paint under the black.i returned him his money as not to tarness my reputation with the local buick crowd here.i sertainly had no idea.does anyone know the part numbers or the exact identifying of the real thing?i know the rear is the same length so it appears ive been taken for a ride.

Sounds like you have some rear Trans Am wheels :( . Look for the offset marked on the back of the wheel. I just checked the offset on a T/A rear wheel I have and it says OFF 16 (A real rear GNX rear wheel will say OFF -23) Another way to tell is that a rear GNX wheel has big polished lip with a deep dish look and the T/A rear wheel has a small polished outer lip

TA's had different offsets on the front compared to the back. However, it's not the way you'd think. The "deep dish" offset are the front pair on a TA.

I have no knowledge on which was used on the GNX other than my own observations, and I THINK that the GNX used 4 front TA wheels.

Now, as far as "Authenticity" of them being a GNX wheel . . . to my VERY limited knowledge, the part number for the GNX wheels I thought were the same as the factory front TA wheels with a black paint code (which they used on black TA's)

I would also tell the customer that there are only 2188 Authentic GNX wheels in the world, and probably 2000 of which are still mounted to GNX's. So they better expect to wait, and expect to pay out the Ying-Yang. :biggrin:

Chris,

goto:

http://my.ohio.voyager.net/~rowilson/frtpge.html

I believe there is a detailed description of the GNX wheels on that website. And from what I've read, the GNX rims were *not* GTA wheels - instead they were a run of custom wheels produced *only* for McLaren to install on the GNX's. The GTA fronts will work on a standard Regal body, but the GNX wheels had totally different offsets than the GTA rims to take advantage of those huge fender flares McLaren installed on the GNX's. I haven't seen a set of genuine GNX rims for sale in a long time.

HTH

Rob Pinkston

chris718 said:
in good faith i purchased a set of gnx rims from a board member for a customer of mine.after 1 month the customer came back enraged telling me they werent gnx rims but from an 89 tta.the 2 rims marked rear will not fit the rear and the offset makes them hit the frame.also there is visible gold paint under the black.i returned him his money as not to tarness my reputation with the local buick crowd here.i sertainly had no idea.does anyone know the part numbers or the exact identifying of the real thing?i know the rear is the same length so it appears ive been taken for a ride.
The GNX wheels are not the same as TA wheels, the GNX wheels have a 2" lip in the front and a 1 3/4" lip in the rear. The front TA wheel will work on a 4 corners of a Grand National or GNX but the lip is only about 1 1/4 inch. If you put the 2 wheels next to each other you will see the dramatic difference. Also the GNX wheels had no dimples on the web, later model TA wheels came with dimples on the web. That is another way to tell the difference.

GNX Wheels

The front and rear wheels were custom made for the GNX by JWC. The wheels are actually labeled "Rear Only" and "Front Only". They have specific offsets, which are different than the Grand National. The front wheels are stamped "-15" and the rears "-23", which is in millimeters. Here's a pic of the front:This has been a topic of discussion, so I measured the total backspacing of the wheels: from the deck of inner hub to the outmost lip. The front is 3-15/16" and the rear is 3-9/16". The difference comes out to approx. 8mm which matches the difference in the offset spec.
:rolleyes:

:smile:

Attachments

• GNX Front.jpg
    GNX Front.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 295
Offsets

The GNX rims on the rear have more negative offset than the front. The previous post had me slightly confused with the wording used. The "outmost lip" would be the hub mating with the hub face to the lip on the frame side of the car (innermost I would say). When you view stock GNX rims from the outside, there is more rim showing on the rear rims than the front. Additionally, the front rims have more rim showing than stock GTA rims.