GNX-ing an El Camino

You lost me on this post. If you're asking if the SS Monte nose will fit on the Elky, it will. They made an SS El Camino. There's even a kit to put a modified Iroc-Z nose on it, not a real one, but a shorter one. Looks good too.

I wonder if we could put the SS Monte nose on the GN and REALLY fluck with people's minds.

Originally posted by denn454
<DROOL>

i'd like to see if they switched the dash out too.

I just switched all the interior in my elcamino to buick interior

was bench seat colum now has buckets and console ttype dash and all ...even the carpet out the ttype

had manual windows ....now has power windows and locks along with concert sound ttype door panels

Originally posted by WakkoSS
You lost me on this post. If you're asking if the SS Monte nose will fit on the Elky, it will. They made an SS El Camino. There's even a kit to put a modified Iroc-Z nose on it, not a real one, but a shorter one. Looks good too.

I wonder if we could put the SS Monte nose on the GN and REALLY fluck with people's minds.

I don't think the Monte nose fits on an El Camino. Choo Choo Customs in Chatanooga made the SS El Caminos and they had to use a custom nose piece.

Maybe if you use the Monte Fenders, it will work.

Originally posted by WakkoSS

thats what i ment to say, i just read what i wrote, i don't know what i was thinking, that was written horribly! anyways, that is what i was thinking, a ss nose on a gn. you couldn't use the nose off a montecarlo, on the top side of the fender they have 2 bends, opposed to the buicks one, if you saw it you would understand. I guess it could work with some fiberglass and a lot of time, but i wanted to know if the elcamino nose would fit as a direct bolt-on. I don't know how it would look, but personally i like the ss nose more than ours.

if that got confusing too i'm sorry, i have a million ideas floating around in my head...

the monte SS nose will work only if you use the doors from the monte too. you will have to install the elky glass in the monte doors. ive seen it done and it looks good.

Originally posted by mygrain
the monte SS nose will work only if you use the doors from the monte too. you will have to install the elky glass in the monte doors. ive seen it done and it looks good.

but the monte doors body lines wont line up to the body lines on the rear quater panel of the el camino

-Neil

:confused: I believe I mentioned doing a search for elcamino ..

its all been discussed b4 about whats involved in the nose swap

Nose swap? These people have some kits here= http://www.laureneng.com/
Will the GNX rear suspension fit the Elco? Only thing that could pose a problem would be the floor pan where the new cross member would sit but for that kind of money you could have trick brakes and other nice suspension pieces too.
The Buick dash is a bolt & plug in from every one that has did one has told me, I use the stock Elco dash.
And I have a few GNX louver pic’s here= http://photos.yahoo.com/phil9674@sbcglobal.net
Any hoo just go for it you get no back seat drivers and the trunk space is too cool and correct me if I’m wrong but I think the Elco is just a little bit lighter than the Regal.
Phil.

A stock MCSS nose will NOT fit on an elky unless you do some major changes. I purchased an SS nose from Honest Charlies that is made to fit on an elky. I also added an Goodmark steel cowl hood on mine. I, like Red have the entire GN interior in my car. I purchased a basket case GN, and completely stripped it down for every nut, bolt, & every wire that was in the car except for the sunroof wiring. LOL. My donor car was an 86, so I have the digital climate control, and it even works. As far as the GNX rear, I did not have any extra money after I got through with the rest of the car. But one day I would like to try to attempt it.
Bubba Nicholson

Grand Caminoes...weeeee

Not only are they Do-able...but in 2 Car Craft magazine "real street" challenges...the winners were actually ... el caminos WITH 86/87 GN motors!! swaps are easy from what I read. at the very first Buicks at Bristol Event (Jim Haas) there was a GNX Grand camino!!! ever since then it's been on my mind to do! have 2 GN motors sitting around and would LOVE to see one turn from drooling dream to reality. just thought I'd share in the support

Like TurboPhil said, the only problem could possibly be the floorpan, but I doubt it would be an issue. The elcamino frame is basically the same as a regal, but it is actually missing some of the stiffening braces that are located at the upper control arm mounts on the frame itself. These braces look like they were designed to give support for a higher torque load on the control arms. Anyway, if you put in the GNX suspension, there would be no need for that extra bracing because the GNX does not use the upper control arms. The back seat cross braces wouldn't be needed either because an elcamino body itself has much less flex than a regal body. There is a guy on ebay right now selling a GNX rear end cover and torque arm that i was thinking about, but i think its gonna be out of my price range. I have a elcamino transplant that is 95% done right now, and i was thinking that the GNX suspension would be cool, but for $2000 in parts, i'm gonna just stick with the GN rear that is bolted in right now. You do however need to shorten the driveshaft when you bolt in the 8.5 rear because the 8.5 pinion is longer than the 7.5 pinion. Also, like someone else said, get a 4.3 liter elcamino and the fuel pump will already be in the tank with all the wiring factory installed. Oh well, I'm going to get to workin on mine right now, Good Luck!! Jeff

Re: Grand Caminoes...weeeee

Originally posted by SITHV6
Not only are they Do-able...but in 2 Car Craft magazine "real street" challenges...the winners were actually ... el caminos WITH 86/87 GN motors!! swaps are easy from what I read. at the very first Buicks at Bristol Event (Jim Haas) there was a GNX Grand camino!!! ever since then it's been on my mind to do! have 2 GN motors sitting around and would LOVE to see one turn from drooling dream to reality. just thought I'd share in the support

Sounds like you're offering to donate a motor to Neil for his project. :)

hey now I need these motors too lol

Hey hey ...hey I may be able to let a block go, but need to see where there rest of it is first, before being certain I want to let my DOTC insurance go lol.

well, i sent an E-mail to kirbans asking them if they think the GNX suspension would work (who would know better then the actual manufactor right?). and the response they gave me is that they pretty much just dont know if it would work. oh well, maybe its not worth the effort...

-Neil

but the monte doors wont line up on the el caminos rear quater panel... the monte carlos have a body line that goes more down the the back wheel, where the elky has more of a strait body line.... you can kinda see it on a picture of this car

http://www.montecarloss.com/

here you can see how the el camino has a totally different body line, and it wouldnt match up, and i think it would look kinda retarted if your body lines didnt match up...

http://el-camino.de/el-camino-fotos-el-camino-chevrolet-82.jpg

-Neil

And people wonder why GM gets no respect these days. All they need to do is build this car today. They could probably sell 20 of them right here in this discussion alone. Instead they come out with the ridiculous, bloated SSR. Sheesh...