Gnx from world of motorworks piece of junk!

joeynj

GNX Stewart Warner Complete Kit with Plug and Play Harness from World Of Motorworks is not PLUG AND PLAY!, It took a lot of work and time (3 days)and money to be installed. It took two months to be delivered and was installed by Otto's Performance.
And one of the gauges doesn't light up correctly. Look at the photos.

Attachments

• photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,508
  • photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,516
  • photo 8.jpg
    photo 8.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,511
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,528
  • photo 9.jpg
    photo 9.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,491
I agree

There is no way to make the speedo have the same amount of light as the others. I recently installed one of these POS. I disassembled the speedo and painted the inside of housing WHITE. That helped some. I posted my phone # for Otto to offer what I knew but he never got in touch with me. I am suprised people are still buying them after I posted my displeasure with them. Just a thought but what use is a 15 lb. boost gage in todays world?

Looks good now but curious what problems you had with the install as well. How much is that kit?

the kit costs $1995 plus installation.
The bezel doesn't align correctly with the gauge, it needs to be modified. Took Otto's Performance 3 days to installed it. Plus the lighting on of the gauges are dimmer than the rest.

problems

Elaborate a little. What was the difficulty? It looks good at least...:biggrin:

with the one I installed.
Speedo was inaccurate--had to buy a reducer--another $70
15 lb. boost gage--bought a 0-30--$ 45
Tach was not set properly---just needed to set dip switchs correctly
Fuel gage was for a Chrysler--another $ 45
Temp. gage read 15 degrees hotter than actual.
Could not read speedo @ nite
No instructions---none are even printed ANYWHERE.
Bezel is way off!!!
The correct speedo cable was not in the original package.
Could not get in touch the seller!!!!
He did come on the board and put me down once he heard of my post.

I posted this earlier

any advice on making the lights on the gauge brighter?

Disassemble the speedo--paint the inside of housing WHITE. I tried different bulbs (did some reasearch and ordered stronger bulbs)--they messed up the VSS sensor.

It's amazing someone has not come out with a straight drop-in kit that retains the factory look.

Do you have to cut any of the original dash in order to install the GNX style panel?

with the one I installed.
Speedo was inaccurate--had to buy a reducer--another $70
15 lb. boost gage--bought a 0-30--$ 45
Tach was not set properly---just needed to set dip switchs correctly
Fuel gage was for a Chrysler--another $ 45
Temp. gage read 15 degrees hotter than actual.
Could not read speedo @ nite
No instructions---none are even printed ANYWHERE.
Bezel is way off!!!
The correct speedo cable was not in the original package.
Could not get in touch the seller!!!!
He did come on the board and put me down once he heard of my post.

Yeah, now I remember reading your post. I wish someone would make a decent drop-in panel.

Yeah i installed one in a friends car....disaster....was not plug n play..did not fit good...and all i can say is i made good use of the dremel....i would have rather built him my own...way over priced this unit....hate to bash it but it was not good....vinny

nice sticker:cool: I was so close to buying one of those dashes at one time. so glad I didnt and I doubt anyone else here will now either. ud think for the money one pays (labor bill alone:eek:) and the time one waits it should be a simple install and work flawlessly.

I was down at Otto's shop the other day when he was working on it and I can tell u that I have seen him wire complete race cars in no time at all and this thing was breaking his ballz. Otto truly is talented at wiring and if he had to spend as much time as he diid on this dash I cant imagine what the novice installer has to endure.

When two of some of the most talented people on the is board (Otto and Lee) make a post about what a pita this thing is installing one can only imagine what a biatch it is to install.

High brightness LED's in the right locations would make it much brighter and probably use less current.

Higher brightness lamps the same size and mounting as the ones in the gauge now as previously mentioned would also work.

LED's don't dim well with the dimmer knob however.

But you can get most any type brightness you want and leave the knob full on like most people do.

Poston's Dash

I installed three. They came with directions and just about everything you needed and plugged into the dash connector and had an adapter for the electronic speedo which was adjustable for different gears and tire height. However Poston is gone. :(

Attachments

• P1000900.jpg
    P1000900.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,267
And just $600 bucks. PS: JMHO but I think the "placement" of the various gages in this dash is more practical for real world use. :smile:

Attachments

• P1000655.jpg
    P1000655.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,260
And just $600 bucks. :smile:
yea, but the point of buying a GNX dash is to have a GNX dash to be as authentic as the original. Not a knock off. those poston types are a dime a dozen. probably fuctions better then this pos tho

those poston types are a dime a dozen.

Hey!!! Being a novice installer if you can find a dozen complete kits I will give you a dime each. :biggrin:

And they do work pretty good, I just changed the blue bright light "light" with the end left turn signal green "light" so both turn signals are on each side of the speedo, that made more sense to me and looked better when in use IMO.

If you look close you can see that the left green turn signal light is "now" on the left side of the speedo in the "car" pic. I also used "Lexan" (tougher stuff) instead of Plexiglas for a clear cover glass.

Hey!!! If you can find a dozen complete kits I will give you a dime each. :biggrin:
yea, good point. probably overstated that a little:D but someone (not me) could make one similar to the Poston's one. not so much with the GNX one, at least not very easily that is.

persoanlly I like the Poston STYLE better cause one can choose the newest type gauges and more of em and they will actually light up.:rolleyes: u dont have that option with the GNX one. although ur supposed to use the SW guages or wats the point really but who runs 15psi? its a novelty more then anything

Sorry but after looking at the n/a pics I could not help myself!

This is the engine that the Poston dash is connected to. :smile: If you have not seen it already you can see the complete engine build in the stage II section with my new bracket warrior at the end on the other site (TurboBuicks.com).

Attachments

• P1000960.jpg
    P1000960.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,207