GNX Fender Vents

03FatBoy

I am looking to purchase a set of quality GNX style fender vents. I already have the reproduction under hood ducting, and was looking for recommendations as to vendors... and anyone's opinions, experiences, etc.

Thanks!

I do know a few sources, just wondering anyone's opinion on what they have. Did you install yours?

Danko also has a set, but they are like $100 more. I do have their (Danko) fillers on the car (actually got them through G-Body... would rather support our vendors) and have been happy with them. Trying to figure out what is the best way to go. Always like to be thrifty, but don't want to purchase any junk either. I am pretty certain Dennis wouldn't sell any junk. I figured I spent a good chunk of change on the mostly hidden ductwork, don't want to scrimp on the most visible parts!
I'll just write Dennis and go from there.
Thanks!

What are the differences between the aftermarkets and the original designs?

I have been debating whether to do it or not. Right now I have both fenders off the car so it would make it easier to do.

Dannyo

Scot W (I think his site is gnsperformance.com)on the board sells them. I have seen them on ebay, but preferred to purchase from a supporting vendor. Look on the left side of the page, GNX Vents. The original blueprints show the installation. Scot's parts are repro's (not a concours from what I understand, but still very very nice) of the original GNX parts.
The vent bezels that you see outside the car, from what I understand, were originally secured with a backing plate inside the fender and screws. The "duct" then went to the inner fender that was cut out and covered with a finished plate. Most vents are installed just by cutting the outer fender, which certainly has to let some hot air out. I have to believe that ASC guys put the "ducts" there for a reason.
Most of the aftermarket exterior "vents" I have seen so far are installed with 3M tape... not that that is a bad thing. Danko sells some, Dennis Kirban sells them, and I think I saw some true repro's not sure who had them.
I am still researching which exterior vents I will purchase... but will decide within the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps a bit!

Scot W (I think his site is gnsperformance.com)on the board sells them. I have seen them on ebay, but preferred to purchase from a supporting vendor. Look on the left side of the page, GNX Vents. The original blueprints show the installation. Scot's parts are repro's (not a concours from what I understand, but still very very nice) of the original GNX parts.
The vent bezels that you see outside the car, from what I understand, were originally secured with a backing plate inside the fender and screws. The "duct" then went to the inner fender that was cut out and covered with a finished plate. Most vents are installed just by cutting the outer fender, which certainly has to let some hot air out. I have to believe that ASC guys put the "ducts" there for a reason.
Most of the aftermarket exterior "vents" I have seen so far are installed with 3M tape... not that that is a bad thing. Danko sells some, Dennis Kirban sells them, and I think I saw some true repro's not sure who had them.
I am still researching which exterior vents I will purchase... but will decide within the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps a bit!
Keep us updated on whichever set you end up going with. :cool:

You might also send Scot a PM and see which set he is using.

i used kirbans vent; i like them.

Attachments

• SUNP0031.jpg
    SUNP0031.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,323
I am looking to purchase a set of quality GNX style fender vents. I already have the reproduction under hood ducting, and was looking for recommendations as to vendors... and anyone's opinions, experiences, etc.

Thanks!
For what it's worth, People have used both Kirbans & Danco. i'm not sure if kirban is still selling these or not but I have a set of The Kirban louvers sitting right here and they are made out of very flimsy plastic moulded material and are paper thin and you have to double up the 2-sided tape in order for them to work, Now I do not know how old they are or even if he still sells these kind but DANCO is the company selling the nice thick ridged ones made from fiberglass or a poured type molded style resulting in a nice easy way to mount the double sided tape.

We Do Not sell the louvers but we sell the GNX Vent Kit with everything else needed to complete the install. Here is the link -> GNS

Scot W.

My louvers were put on the car back in 1989. They are every bit as nice and thick as my buddies real GNX louvers. They were made by quality engineering something or other. Kirban talks about them in the latest newsletter. Should be a few sets floating around out there yet.

Yeah well I'm "thinking" about installing a set.

This under hood heat is pretty damn crazy. I sure as hell wouldn't want to ride under there.:eek:

I "should a would a could a " bought a set from the dealer when I bought the few other GNX parts over the counter.

ABS doesn't seem like the way to go with heat being involved.

I saw some being offered in fiberglass on Ebay in many auctions. Someone in Florida.

Anyone put an eye on any of his?

So what did you think?

Thanks in advance.

My louvers were put on the car back in 1989. They are every bit as nice and thick as my buddies real GNX louvers. They were made by quality engineering something or other. Kirban talks about them in the latest newsletter. Should be a few sets floating around out there yet.
If I understand correctly Danco has used those or the original GNX ones to make there's. The result is by far the best ones out there available today.

Scot W.

I used the Kirbans as stated in previous post very flimsy you will need some better and thicker two sided tape. The supplied template from Kirbas is spot on. Easy install with right tools I used a cut off wheel in quick bursts to keep the heat down also tape heavy where you are cutting. If you have old paint you may lift some when removing the tape after cutting.

If I understand correctly Danco has used those or the original GNX ones to make there's. The result is by far the best ones out there available today.

Scot W.

Great...... Danco are the ones on Ebay that I have seen. Thanks