GNX DASH SPEED SENSOR ISSUE

BILL HAINES

R.C ENTOURAGE
AFTER HAVING DASH IN VEH FOR OVER A YEAR,TIME TO FIND OUT WHY THE SPEED SENSOR WILL NOT READ. THE SCAN MASTER DOES NOT PICK UP ANY MPH,CHECK ENG LP COMES ON AS SUCH. ALL THE PLUGS ARE IN, THE SENSOR IS IN THE REAR OF SPEEDOMETER(SW GAUGES) ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT..

Is the sensor in the correct location......and the GNX speedometer was painted white in the inside for the sensor to read better. But if other with the SW gauge do not have this issued it may not be that.

Attachments

• dash 2.JPG
    dash 2.JPG
    475.3 KB · Views: 110
THANKS RICK.. I WAS GOING TO JUST CONNECT THE SENSOR AND SPIN THE REAR OF THE SPEEDOMETER TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY READING..

Is the sensor in the correct location......and the GNX speedometer was painted white in the inside for the sensor to read better. But if other with the SW gauge do not have this issued it may not be that.
RICK, YOU MEAN THE INSIDE METAL RING THAT TURNS ,PAINT THAT AREA WHITE?

The inside of the can was painted.....not the moving component.

"THANKS RICK.. I WAS GOING TO JUST CONNECT THE SENSOR AND SPIN THE REAR OF THE SPEEDOMETER TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY READING."

Good idea...

THANKS AGAIN RICK! I TOOK THE ORIG CLUSTER(SPEEDOMETER) AND OBSERVED THE RING INSIDE,IT IS SHINNY ,ALMOST CHROME LOOKING. I ALSO MEASURED THE DISTANCE THAT THE SENSOR SITS FROM THE HOUSING AND RING. THE KIT I PURCHASED HAS A SMALL 1/8 INCH PLASTIC WASHER THAT MOVES THE SENSOR FROM THE HOUSING,IF MY MEASUREMENTS ARE CORRECT, THE SENSOR SITS TOO FAR FROM THE RING. I WILL ROMOVE THE PLASTIC WASHER,PAINT THE REAR OF THE RING WITH SOME CHROME PAINT,AND TEST IT… I'LL LET YOU KNOW THE RESULTS..

I CONNECTED SPEED SENSOR TO THE ORIG CLUSTER,SPUN THE SPEEDOMETER AND IT DID READ,SO I CONNECTED THE SENSOR TO THE GNX (SW) SPEEDOMETER MINUS THE WASHER,AND IT READ AS WELL.. SO I INSTALLED THE GNX CLUSTER,WENT FOR A RIDE (WITH GPS ON MPH AS WELL) THE SCANMASTER READS GOOD BELOW 20MPH,BUT AS I GO FASTER THE SCANMASTER DOES NOT KEEP UP WITH THE SPEED( GOING 40 MPH..SCANMASTER READS 20 MPH)I AM AT A LOSS…. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Try connecting the speed sensor to the original dash and put a drill on the back and run it through different speeds ....if it works the issue is the SW speedometer configuration.