GNX 547

Great Pictures!! Interesting that it has a "mobil 1" decal on the core support, am I wrong in thinking that was added by the owners? I don't remember seeing that decal on other low mileage Xs.

Great Pictures!! Interesting that it has a "mobil 1" decal on the core support, am I wrong in thinking that was added by the owners? I don't remember seeing that decal on other low mileage Xs.
Good point. I'm curious to know also. I do believe a few of the Corvettes of the late 80's and early 90's had a Mobil1 sticker, i.e. Calloway Twin Turbo and the ZR1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The Mobil 1 decal was sold by Kirban Performance in the late 90's/2000's... for sure it was not installed by ASC/McClaren! :)

wonder why the fuel and AC clutch relays are hanging around the AC line instead of where the should be which is mounted on the fender on the cutoff bracket which is missing on that car

Surprised nobody here has posted this or is talking about it. A super rare opportunity to own #547. I remember this car and it's original owners story from Dennis Kirbans 2007 Birthday DVD. What a great car, I would love to own this!! It will be curious to see IF it sells and if it does for how much, my guess is around $175k? I'm sure it will have a reserve. I also wouldn't be surprised if someone like Rick Hendrick picked this up.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-269466/1987-buick-gnx/

Mecums site estimate says $175-250k !!! I would guess the owner is going to have a high reserve , probably over that . Almost can say this is a long time before it changes hands again , maybe more than one heavy hitter will pony up and battle over it , might go higher than we all expect . GM gonna step in the bidding ?????

Mecums site estimate says $175-250k !!! I would guess the owner is going to have a high reserve , probably over that . Almost can say this is a long time before it changes hands again , maybe more than one heavy hitter will pony up and battle over it , might go higher than we all expect . GM gonna step in the bidding ?????

Yea I highly doubt it hits reserve when on the block. My guess is IF it sells it would be a private sale. I definitely think GM/Buick could be buyers, I also wouldn't be surprised if someone like a Rick Hendrick buys it.

Yea I highly doubt it hits reserve when on the block. My guess is IF it sells it would be a private sale. I definitely think GM/Buick could be buyers, I also wouldn't be surprised if someone like a Rick Hendrick buys it.
Or David Spade !!! He likes GN's . He dropped a mil on the Hemi Daytona last year .

I got to know the original owner back in the early '90's and saw #547 many times. Very interesting to say the least.

That is interesting Buckeye Troop, If you only knew what you know now ,an had Deep Pockets in the 1990's .
This would be a different thread an conversation. LoL.....

That is interesting Buckeye Troop, If you only knew what you know now ,an had Deep Pockets in the 1990's .
This would be a different thread an conversation. LoL.....

He obviously knew what he had from the beginning and routinely turned down big money for it, but at the same time several were available for $30k. Unfortunately I didn't have the money at the time.

kirban 2 cents worth.....

I probably mentioned this before but I know the original owner of 547 as well him and I go back probably 10-12 years earlier with involvement in GTOs which was my first love and business.,..,.,he owned or maybe still owns one of my 65 GTOS...actually it was my cousins car....so Ron is very sharp and was at the rite place at the rite time.

Word has it from a source I know that says GM is not interested in obtaining this GNX.....how true this is I don;t know. One thing is certain the "ink" in magazines and internet articles brings more attention that filters down to us that have the GNs or Turbo T cars....not the deep pockets.

The car is basically a museum piece in order to maintain the high value. Yes the Mobil one decal is not factory I did sell them at one time they did come on certain model Corvettes from the factory probably around the same time frame. As for slight differences almost every GNX will have slight differences from another....ASC was rushed alot of stuff was done by hand.....

You want to see crude workmanship....remove any of the front flares and see how the fenders are cut...again this is not being critical merely pointing things out on the GNXs...I have had 9 real GNXs so I am familar with them to a degree.

We will be conducting a contest on GNX 547 also on another GN at that auction and a third car... a triple billing contest that will appear soon in the lounge thread.

The Mecum Florida auction has quite a number of GNs going thru....if you are superstious....sp? GNX 547 goes through on Friday the 13th......

All the advance ink on this car should generate the interest time will tel if the interest translates into a high mark sale for a GNX. Either way Buick engineers that worked on that project gotta be proud when compared to other G body cars of that time period.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

by the way the post before mine that lite blue T you got is a very rare color on the turbo regals....I can only recall having one that color mine had a astro roof....funny thing is guy came to look at one of my GNs at the time and was gun ho on buying a GN.....it was winter time I had 6-7 at the time with several at my neighbors house. He saw the lite blue Turbo T and bought it instead....true story....

Very cool info Dennis thank you for the reply. I'm sure Mecum is enjoying all the press related to 547 , if anything it will help the other TRs at the auction get some extra press.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not, but the auction will be televised on NBCSN at 2:00 PM Eastern time on the 13th

Speaking of light blue "T"'s my brother-in-law had a light blue 86 T-Type some years ago. I told him it was rare, but he didn't believe me. Considering how many 86 T-Types were made (very few), there can't be many light blue T-Type's out there........

I'm at mecum and 547 should be crossing the block in the next hour or so. Got to spend some time looking at her up close. Stunning, stunning,stunning! The car is flawless.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    616.3 KB · Views: 159
All the advance ink on this car should generate the interest time will tel if the interest translates into a high mark sale for a GNX. Either way Buick engineers that worked on that project gotta be proud when compared to other GM cars of that time period.

Fixed :)