Gnx #486

da35114

Buick : Grand National:eBay Motors (item 280378810552 end time Aug-05-09 10:33:05 PDT)

Good Morning Guys,

I have to admit, this is one of the most passionate and informative websites for our Turbo Regals. The in depth of knowledge from the members is truly impressive.

I am looking into GNX #486 (please see attached link to Ebay). With the limited number of these vehicles and the number of "dialed in" members on this site, does anyone have any history or additional information on this vehicle?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!:smile:

I would say if the milage is correct you need to buy it soon or somebody else will... That is a 100K car IMO!

One question that you would want to ask is: Is the original turbo still on the car?"
I see an adjustable waste gate rod. Many people removed the special ceramic turbo to "save" them and put another turbo on the car.

Gary

This car has been listed on ebay I believe 3 times in the last 3-4 months. The only reason I think it has not been sold yet is because there have been alot of other GNX's available for a much cheaper price. Yes, none had this very low collector mileage though. If you could get this car for $70,000.00-$75,000.00 you would get a great deal. Problem is then, you really could not drive it and rack up more miles. If you want to buy an X to drive then buy one for $50,000.00 with 10 or 15,000 miles. There is also one in Texas that a board member is trying to sell for $35,000.00 with 50,000 miles. That one I think is an excellent buy for a real X. I can not believe that it has not been grabbed yet.(it is in the cars for sale section, under seller fastdavedk) Here is a link: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/292601-gnx-186-sale-35k-obo.htm

Just my .02 cents ;)

Who ever buys #486 I guess we will be brothers... being mine is #485 :cool:

We may end up being "bro's" :D

This car has been listed on ebay I believe 3 times in the last 3-4 months. The only reason I think it has not been sold yet is because there have been alot of other GNX's available for a much cheaper price. Yes, none had this very low collector mileage though. If you could get this car for $70,000.00-$75,000.00 you would get a great deal. Problem is then, you really could not drive it and rack up more miles. If you want to buy an X to drive then buy one for $50,000.00 with 10 or 15,000 miles. There is also one in Texas that a board member is trying to sell for $35,000.00 with 50,000 miles. That one I think is an excellent buy for a real X. I can not believe that it has not been grabbed yet.(it is in the cars for sale section, under seller fastdavedk) Here is a link: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/cars-sale/292601-gnx-186-sale-35k-obo.htm

Just my .02 cents ;)

Who ever buys #486 I guess we will be brothers... being mine is #485 :cool:

I can't see the adjustable rod. I asked for better pics and will post it.

THANKS!

One question that you would want to ask is: Is the original turbo still on the car?"
I see an adjustable waste gate rod. Many people removed the special ceramic turbo to "save" them and put another turbo on the car.

Gary

Barry,

While it is a good idea to ask if the original turbo comes with the car or is included with the sale please note that GNX Turbos came with adjustable wastegate actuators from the factory unlike the 800 mile Grand National that you have.

Barry,

While it is a good idea to ask if the original turbo comes with the car or is included with the sale please note that GNX Turbos came with adjustable wastegate actuators from the factory unlike the 800 mile Grand National that you have.
And this is why I love this forum :)

Re-Paint?

As an FYI, there is a good chance GNX #486 has had a partial repaint. The driver side quarter glass had been replaced at some point (no a big deal) and what is believed that the roof was more than likely painted and the whole car probably re-cleared. (I was told the rest of the car minus the roof "gauged" the same (in MILS), but I cannot verify as I did not gauge it personally. There was also "overspray" under the door handles on both sides.

Maybe something fell on it while in storage? The owner was forethright honest about it as my stipulation on the deal was "no paint work" and documented mileage for accuracy.

My "hypothesis" is something may have landed on it during its years of storage. The roof was repainted, the glass was replaced, the whole car was lightly scuffed and re-cleared (as dry clear can look like black overspray). That is why the entire vehicle was "wet-sanded" and maybe a contributing factor as to the GNX trunk emblem sitting a little too high.

Regardless, it is a very nice vehicle, but I will be passing on the purchase of the vehicle as I and/or the owner cannot verify the true originality of the paint.

picasso

regardless that's art, that one takes me back to 86-87 when i went into my local buick dealership and drooled on one. forgot the number but i wanted that car so bad i could taste it. it's beautiful, i would love some factory rims like that for my car.