Gnx #419

cam69ss

Turbo Member
Hello all,
How much do you think it is worth? :D
I have an opportunity to buy a GNX. My next door neighbor has owned it since 89-90 and is looking to sell it soon. It is a New England car and garaged since new, the interior is perfect, never smoked in. The body has had no paint work done but it has a few small door dings and a golf ball hit the roof so there is a
dent in it. The tires, battery and exhaust are the only non-original items on the car. It has 36,300 miles. It is missing the owners jacket and leather book but he has the window sticker. It has a small rear main leak,
and the under the power steering reservoir is wet (frame rail in the wheel well) It its early years car was driven in the winter on a limited basis, so the front control arms and stabilizer bar have rust. Also he said that the rear end makes a noise and needs to be rebuild, his mechanic told him that rust on
the ring gear is the cause of it, because it sat too long. All in all I would rate it an 8.5 or so. What is a fair price? Have the GNX prices been going up, down or are they pretty stable in price?
Thanks,
Dan

depending on the mileage: $30,000 tops.

Buy it to enjoy it. Don't let it sit and rot. You can always roll the odometer back later! ;) :D

I would say $25000. On ebay there are ones nicer than that with a lot less miles going for $30000. If he wants to fix all the problems for you and then sell it then give him $30000.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
I would say $25000.

I agree, plus I'd be very concerned about this winter driving he did. Get a good look under the car...

Mike [:)

With all those problems??? I wouldn't offer more than 19,000

Perfect, low mileage GNX's seem to trade in the $35k range. I would expect a perfect, 36K mile car to be in the $28-$30K range. You rated the car an 8.5. Therefore, somewhere between $23,800 and $25,500 seems fair.

Well I hope this helps, I bought an 87 GN for $6,000 with 42,000 miles and spent close to $10,000 to make mine a GNX. The sad part is it's not even a real GNX!!! so I would say at least $25,000.:D :D crazy for a GNX

Originally posted by TurboDave
With all those problems??? I wouldn't offer more than 19,000

Ditto, all those small problems will add up. I wouldnt offer a lick over 20K

Thanks for all the input. He is looking to get $24,000 for it. I don't know how motivated he is though. I am thinking 18-21.5K range. I do not know how stable the prices are on the GNX's, it doesn't seem that they are going up in value at all.

Dan

Any car that is unused for long periods of time is going to have little gremlins.

From the description, I don't think there's anything that unusual. I'd be more concerned about the golf ball hit and the underbody rust, than a dripping PS reservior and leaky rear main. People pay over $30K for these cars with less miles and they are still riddled with little problems from lack of exercise. One thing that bothers me, how does a ring gear get rusty if it lives in a sealed carrier and is covered in oil? I'd dig into that, but probably needs a fluid change and posi additive.

If the guy sells it for $20K, he's nuts :eek: He should clean it up and straighten out the little stuff. His asking price isn't too far off, but if you want to low-ball him, that's another story :D

How the heck do you k now what # it is...Id like to find out what # my 1987 Buick Turbo-T WE4 is....Black.....T-Tops...is there a way to find out.....
Sleeper87

GNXs (& TTAs) were numbered sequentially as they were built and the # appears on a dash emblem. Does not apply to our lowly, run-of-the-mill TRs.

Well thanks for all the input. I ended up buying it tonight. I put it on a lift to look underneath and it was A-OK. Minor surface rust on some parts. Just needs a little TLC. THe paint does have a few imperfections, but I am going to keep it all original for now.
I can't wait to get insurance on the car and drive to cruise nights.
Dan

Congrats Dan! Let us know how you get through each of the little problems you mentioned before. I have a feeling it will work out to be a great find.

Finally someone bought that car. I just wish it was me. I drove by it about twice a day for the past two years. A very nice car.

Nice work! If I could get my hands on a GNX. No brainer;) Enjoy that rare and beautiful automobile. Cheers!

If you don't mind me asking What was the final price you paid for it?:) Hopefully you can come to CT (marks auto parts car show on mondays) and show it off. I have seen a couple of the real deals at this show. The average cars on a monday night at marks are close to 500 in the start and by summer close to 750. :cool: