GN1R Heads?

GN 1 heads

Just an update on my replacement heads from Champion. As my last post stated, I had cracked the non-beefed heads twice and the second time that they were sent to Champion ( going on 8 weeks) they were determined to be defective and a replacement would be sent. I have excelerated the calls to Champion during the last 3 weeks and all promises of return calls have not been kept. During one late afternoon call I did reach Tom (approx. 3 weeks ago ) and found out by his response that he has caller ID.Over the past week I have called and was greeted by their message machine and each time, I stated that I wanted to know the status of my replacement heads. To date I have recieved no return calls or correspondence! Since I am in sales,all of these calls have been made on the road using my cell phone which is now adding up to more money. If you include the $1000 porting and 3 day UPS shiping (twice) to the cell phone calls, I am approching the orginal price of the heads. These latest generation of heads could be the best thing since sliced bread, but if this is the type of service that we are faced with, this must be considered into the buying decision.
Jeff Rand

Frank,

I think Cal made a mistake the 1400's are the exh header gaskets. Go with the 1026's.

Jeff your story is not unique, all I can say is if you have been promised replacements and all try to be patient and stay positive with 'em on the phone and eventually it'll probably all get there :)

TurboTR

OK, hes responding to my question posted above on the stainless headers against the heads.Does anyone know if their would be any problems running without gaskets between the stainless headers and the aluminum GN1 heads?
TIA
Frank

You mean problems other than trying to seal 40+ psi of 1600+ F deg exh gas with only 2 bolts/port and a wavy flange? Shouldn't be any ;-) If your header port alignment is better than mine was then try the FP1400s. I've used them and the copper, but it still always shows signs of some leakage. Maybe some Silcolene to cement 'em on there ;-)

TurboTR

Gn Heads

Guys, I am trying to stay positive but when you have so much money invested in the stage motor and it is just sitting there for a total of 18 weeks, it becomes very frustrating. All I am asking for is some information on my heads. Several weeks ago when I did reach Tom he said the heads were shipped however I never received them. Are they lost or did Tom make a mistake and not send them. I do not think it is asking too much to find out the status of my parts. By the way my friend sent some heads to Champion and it was determined that the heads would need to be fixed. My friend did not want to use repaired heads and it was agreed that a discount would be applied to a new set of heads. Payment was made on and 5 days later the heads were on the car and he was off to the Vegas Buick race. My friend also can not reach Champion for information on his old heads( the old heads were to be returned with the new heads).I would suggest to Champion to set a block of time aside during the end of the day and concentrate on customer service.
Jeff

Instead of starting a new thread I will just add this question here since it relates to the cylinder head anyway.:)
What SparkPlug do most of you guys run in your champions,from the low 10.s-high-8.s? and how often do you change them(every oil change)?
Ive heard that some guys like the ac delco R42TS' everyone just post what you run!:cool:
TIA

I for one am not ready to drop close to 3G's on a set of heads with so many stories of failure.If I spent that kind of cash and the guy on the other end of the phone refused to answer there would be a problem so I'll just be happy with my seasoned old school set of M&A's.

Steve B

LIKEMY6, I,ve tried the 103 's 104's and the R42LTS I didn't see any difference in performance, they all worked fine with my combo, the car has a liquid intercooler and only drinks C16!

9secvsix
9.4's @145.xx

Rumor has it that Dart makes the Aluminum heads for Champion.:eek: If someone has some time, call Dart and do some poking around. :rolleyes: Maybe Tom sends the heads back to Dart:confused: and has to wait for them. Go straight to the source if possible.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

No way Dart makes em. Has anyone else heard this? Surely we would have found this out in 10 years? Several people have visited Champion, were there any signs of this Dart connection?

Butch

Duttweiler had a pair of secret stage 2 heads he told me were
made by dart. I think they were pair two of two. Not sure if
they went into any kind of production. Call Margie and ask
her to ask Kenny 805.659.3648

I dont know about the Champions, but all aluminum stage2 heads were made by Dart and sold through GM parts, they also made the same exact head with identical port designs for the SBC.
While Tom may be slow, it may be due to circumstances beyond his control, he has always taken care of any problems I've had and never tried to weasel out of anything with lame excuses.
Bill