Gn Rims

daredevil

Hi guys,

Anyone has GN rims for sale? Please give me a call or email.

Thanks.

Manny

239-9592
226-6319

I have a set that I was thinking of selling but, its still on the car. Its not perfect (has some rust) but, the chrome is still shiny. The tires are factory 1987 GN originals that should probably be replaced because of age not tread depth (up to you). I will be changing them out with another set as soon as I get a pair of tires for them (maybe a couple weeks). Let me know if your interested.
Thanks,
Derek:cool:

Manny,

I think Tyler (FTC) may have had a set. (Or maybe the guy he bought his car from)

Derrick (Taz) did as well.

I'm sure someone on the board has a set...

Robbie, no apology needed, everything said in that thread is true...

The GN I parted was EXTREMELY rusty due to the TTops leaking...

The crossbar had actually rusted off of the A pillar/windshield frame...

Ttops in Hawaii= BAD Idea... too much rain and salt air...

I think the only reason Koa's car doesnt leak is because the car has the Cage in it, eliminating any body flex...

Ttops in my '69 vette were siliconed shut after I got wet one too many times...

So you don't think that the stainless steel crossbar sold by gbodyparts.com would help deter rust? Sorry for 'jacking the thread.

Short of keeping the car out of the rain ALL THE TIME... maybe POR 15 would help... when the water gets in the seams, and thats where the rust starts... but POR 15 doesnt stop the rust from inside the panel or pillar.. and there is no real way to rustproof the entire thing with all the multi-layers of metal GM uses...

You should see the astroroof 442 I'm parting out now... really bad shape... seens the astroroof water pan is mild steel, and prone to rust as well...

I think the stainless crossbar pieces are stricly cosmetic and replace the outer mild steel ones you see when you first remove the t-top (the ones attatched with screws... you need to remove all of that to see the actual crossbar...

EDIT: yup.. I looked at the site.. the parts they offer are replacements for the bolt on stuff.. nothing structural...

Another thing on this... (Sorry again for the tread jack, Manny)

If you look at the detail drawing for the component breakdown, parts 50 and 51 are actual structural components... as are 3, 4, 5...

The guys praise the need for ttops, but knowing just how "flexible" g-bodies can be, I would stay away from a T-Top car, unless it already has a cage (shameless plug for Koa's car... )

Astroroof cars do have more structural bracing under the roof panel, as well as the reinforced foor for the glass top... too bad Monte SS' never came with the astroroof option...

Robbie,

Don't let me deter you... the choice is yours.. I'm just pointing out my observations that I see while parting them out... I've seen hardtops that looked like crap as well... all depends on how well they've been cared for...

Most of the parts cars sit for periods before the owners decide to part with them... and in the interim.. they get even worse...

Rob