GN or Ttype

BLACK Ttype

Getting Respectable!
Just bought a new car, '84 Buick
Owner sold it as a GN.
Car has GN emblems, GN emblem on dash, 3 piece spoiler, and Lear Sigler interior.

When I registered the car, the DMV put the VIN in the computer and it came up as a Ttype:confused:

How can I find out what it is?

my 84 gn comes up as a t-type in both the dmv and insurance computers/books.if they keep looking there's a "grand national" option under "t-type",at least that's how mine was.

all buicks were t-types in 84-85

As far as my research has taken me, it is my understanding that the Buick was always labled a t-type even if it were a grand national. It was just called the back-out package. I could be wrong, but I am referring to the power source book, which states that the buick GN was a t-type with black paint and special interior options, but non-the-less, a t-type...sorry for the lengthly answer.

John

This is correct they were listed as T-Types the Grand National is an option package and you can find out by checking you vin # :cool:

Originally posted by turbo6x2
This is correct they were listed as T-Types the Grand National is an option package and you can find out by checking you vin # :cool:

What exactly do you mean checking the vin #,
what am I looking for in the vin #?

Originally posted by turbo6x2
check here This has the vin # break down, it lists the letter that represents the GN package option

This site shows the breakdowns, but they all show only Ttype.
Even the '86-'87 models only show Ttype.:confused:

The only place to verify what your car is(that i know of) is the RPO sticker on the decklid. WE2 for GN. Its an option on my car:)

There has to be something in the vin # for insurance purposes...?? I know the build sheet (if it's still behind or under you back seat) Will let you know for sure. Or the deck lid codes will have the option listed. :cool:

The VIN will tell you the model, body style, engine and a few other things.

In 84 it goes as follows:

1st Digit: 1=Made in USA
2nd: G=Made By GM
3rd: 4=Buick Motor Division
4th: Restraint System
5th: Model Code - K=T-Type/Grand National; M=Regal Limited; J=Regal
6th & 7th: Body Style - 47=Coupe; 69=Sedan
8th: 9=3.8l/231 V-6 SFI Turbo
9th: Check Digit
10th: Model Year - E=1984
11th: Plant Code
The rest are sequence #'s

The VIN does not differentiate between a regular T-type or the Grand National

The way I understand it to be is the T-Type was an option for the Regal and the Grand National was an option on the T-Type; so in effect the GN is an option on an option because you can't get a Grand National on a standard Regal.

The only sure way that I know of to check if you have a true blue(black really:D ) GN is to look at the RPO sticker in the trunk, as was mentioned earlier. The VIN on the RPO should match the VIN on the dash and everywhere else. On your RPO sticker it should have the WE2 option. If you've got the WE2 and everything matches, don't worry about what the DMV calls it. My GN is registered as a Regal, that's it.

I hope this makes things clearer rather than more confusing!!!:eek:

This is really upsetting me!

The RPO sticker has the W11 code for a Ttype.
But the dash board has the GN emblem on it.
I also thought that the GN was the only car that had the Leir Sigler seats:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Plus my old car is an '84 Ttype and it didn't have the decal on the dash--it didn't even have the space for the decal.

And my old car had the Ttype wheels and center caps, and the Ttype horn button.

This car wich is also an '84 has the GN wheels and the Buick sheilds on the horn button and wheel center caps?????

Maybe they combined a couple of cars??? Mine was questionable but we found the build sheet and verified it was indeed a GN.

GN

My car was sold to me as a T-Type, but was covered with GN markings, including the dash, however, the seller told me it was all aftermarket. It looked very will done, minus the lier seigler seats, but everything pionted to GN. My car is indeed a t-type, and the build sheet in the back seat, or under the deck lid both concur. Check yours and post them if you'd like for us to see, maybe we can help.

John

I checked last night and couldn't find a build sheet under the back seat.

Where under the deck lid are you talking about?

BTW,
Found some broken auto glass under the back seat:confused: :confused:

There is something fishy about this car:(

Your RPO sticker is usually stuck on the bottom side of the deck lid, it should be easily visible. In '84 Lear seats were an option on the T-types but came standard with the GN option.

First year run

Something to keep in mind also is this was a first year run in a large amount for buick. So some things from one car to another may not be the same. As has been stated a RPO sticker would answer a lot. Soon as you raise the trunk it should stare you in the face unless it's been removed. It has a lot of letters and numbers on about 5 or 6 lines all bunched together. Mine is a T-type with the Lear seat opt in the front only ( on the RPO sticker).

Dont fret

Dont fret if it is only a t-type. If you spent more than 5,000 for a GN, you could get some money back for false representation of the car, however, the T-type and the GN, to me, are exactly alike, only about 1500 or less in the world are the GN. I love my T-Type, and I replaced all the GN markings back to T-Type for the reason that my car IS a T-Type. It doesnt need to be a GN to be rare, and it is still just as fast. Lets stop worrying about the markings for a minute and get to the nitty gritty...gonna work it over?:) :) :confused: :) :)

John