GN not accelerating under load

GNX Jerry

HELP - need some advice . My GN has a problem. When I accelerate, car bogs out at 70 mph. My 87 has less than 15,000 original miles. Local Buick dealer tested fuel pump--it was bad.
Everything is stock original except for NOS GNX dash installed at 14,000 miles. I had Buick replace fuel pump with the "halbro" high performance fuel pump, and also had a billet aluminum fuel pressure regulator added. I also bought the "hot wire" kit to fuel pump but didn't have it installed due to Lackamoola. ($$)
Does Halbro fuel pump work better with hot wire? Or is there more to my problem?? ie... spark plug or something else.
Also should mention, car only goes about 400 miles/year and it usually has a full tank of gas that isn't emptied or stabilized.

I'd appreciate some advice as to what I should do next.

thanks,

JERRY

Originally posted by GNX Jerry
HELP - need some advice . My GN has a problem. When I accelerate, car bogs out at 70 mph. My 87 has less than 15,000 original miles. Local Buick dealer tested fuel pump--it was bad.
Everything is stock original except for NOS GNX dash installed at 14,000 miles. I had Buick replace fuel pump with the "halbro" high performance fuel pump, and also had a billet aluminum fuel pressure regulator added. I also bought the "hot wire" kit to fuel pump but didn't have it installed due to Lackamoola. ($$)
Does Halbro fuel pump work better with hot wire? Or is there more to my problem?? ie... spark plug or something else.
Also should mention, car only goes about 400 miles/year and it usually has a full tank of gas that isn't emptied or stabilized.

I'd appreciate some advice as to what I should do next.

thanks,

JERRY

*****Probably should see if there is anyone in your area that can lend you a scan tool and fuel pressure gauge so you can get some sort of definitive data on what may be going on. It might be something very easy, but you need some way of checking the basics like TPS, IAC, O2, etc... If you plan on keeping the car, you should consider buying a scan tool, Scanmaster, and some other basic things to keep your car running at it's best.

It could be condensation in the gas, bad MAF, gunked up injectors, plugged up catalytic convertor, or whatever.. A car with that few miles may look new on the outside, but it's still an old car that can have sensors, etc.. out of spec, plugged up, etc..

Also, the local Buick dealer may not be your best bet in terms of getting your car back to it's original performance, plus not doing any work yourself can get very expensive. Many things have changed since 1987, and most dealers haven't seen many GN's in over a decade - they just don't know much about them, and are not really set up to do the types of work needed to keep your car running at it's best.

Maybe you have a local Buick club in your area, or a listmember you can contact in your area to help.

Good luck

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD