GN Noob Questions

BuickPower3800

Turbo Buick's Rock!!
Im new to the GN world but not to 3800's the L67 that is.

I was wondering what I should look for when purchasing a GN. What are some common problems with these cars. Also what are some "first mods" I can do? Keep in mind i want to make this a 12.5-13.0 sec. car. and what are some good sites where I can order the parts?

Thanks

Do searchs with key words like "problem", " first mod" and check out www.gnttype.org and search through that site. It has a TON of stuff to tell you what you need to know. The best way to buy these cars would to be to find someone you know and trust, who knows about these cars. There are alot of short comings along with age make these cars very interesting:) to work on. I bought my first, this car, last aug. and have sunk a ton of dough into it as I've learned. My advice would be to learn as much as possible, then go looking. Like I said, find as many people who know and listen to what they had as problems. They are amazingly fun cars once you get to know how they work and what to do. Mids 12's on a nice stock car would be a K&N, maf pipe, gutted cat, hooker exhaust, good street chip, and a good setup tune.
aggressive auto, ramchargers, john's performance

12.5-13.0's with these cars is as easy as falling out of a tree.
Any of the common vendors will have what you need to run those numbers (Kirban, Postons, Ramchargers, etc.).
Upgrade the fuel pump (also use a hotwire kit), a race chip (100 octane minimum), AFPR, adjustable wastegate, good gas, a set of DR's (even little 235/60's) a testpipe and some freebies should get you easy mid-high 12's.
S.

welcome to the TR world, first, do a search for "Spring Cleaning" here AND at www.gnttype.org and do everything on that list BEFORE you mod that car. The car needs to run well stock first.......good luck enjoy...................

Terry Houston or ATR 3" Downpipe are the most popular downpipes, don't go any bigger or any smaller. Buickgn.com makes the big mouth cold air I believe.

Here are a few problems I encountered when I first got my GN

No bracket for the turbo, the intense shaking broke the oil return line which caused a major oil leak.

o2 sensor was bad

spark plugs/wires needed to be replaced (should always do it during 'spring cleaning)

...other oil leaks

Can't think of anything else, but they're great cars.

Can someone explain to me how the adjustable wastgate works? Im assuming its simalar to my bypass valve on my L67.

There is a threaded rod on the actuator. Shorten it for more boost. I also use a bleeder valve to adjust boost more easily.
Several vendors sell them or you can make your own.
I run an open K&N on an aluminum MAF pipe.
Big Mouth kit is nice...but many run just like I do.
S.

Wow.........that is the most bitchin Monte Carlo SS I have ever seen!!:mad:

Glad you like it.......nice rustang..what does she run 16's??.....:D