GN into an 86 EL Camino

tlturbo

Tag - WUTSA V8
I know the El is a G-body so taking out a 305 w Turbo400 and putting in a GN motor and tranny should be a piece of cake, right?
Trying to think of all the little stuff that will have to be addressed. I have access to a complete engine and tranny, top to bottom, front to back including exhaust, turbo, A/C comp, alt, computer and complete wiring harness.
I'm thinking the fuel tank and pump and lines will be a problem.

Any suggestions or a list of problem areas that will need addressing?

All help appreciated.

The el camino is a little longer so you're going to need to extend fuel lines, exhaust, custom driveshaft, you need to run a wire for fuel pump and trany cross mount for the 2004R

AH HA - someone who did it. COOL. Can you use the original gas tank with and external electric pump or how did you do it? What about the return fuel to the tank?
Thanks for any info you can provide. We are getting together today for a planning session.

I used the fuel lines from a donor gn with fuel injection hose to extend them. I modified the fuel tank and pump hanger to accept an in tank fuel pump (easy to do!!)

For my '81 El Camino with a TPI, I used a large hose clamp to hold the fuel pump to the sending unit and fuel injection hose to connect it, or you could get a sending unit from a 4.3 injected El Camino to use an intank pump. Try to find a GN rear end to match as well.

One of the members of OKBuicks did this and did a great job. Think he may have sold it but it sure was a nice piece of work.

Attachments

• ecgn3.jpg
    ecgn3.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 472
Reach out to Archie at GN1 Performance., maybe he can give you some advice.
While visiting a relative in CA some years ago, I made a point of stopping by his shop & while there noticed an El Camino with at 3.8 Turbo ....this thing even had a GN dash installed!