GN in Ohio...help.

87GNLVR

Can anyone here check out a GN for sale at the Toy Barn store in Dublin Ohio?..it's a 10+ hour drive for me so I'd like a professional opinion before driving down there.It's an 87 hardtop with 43k miles.Looks stock from what I can tell and what the salesman,Matt told me as well.My only concern is the spedo gauge doesn't seem factory and obvious chips in front bumper.Just punch in Toy Barn in Ohio and you'll see their site.I'm willing to pay for anyone's time.I do paypal or whatever other method you would prefer.Don't know if this is the proper section for me to palce this,so moderator,please move it,if so.

Thank you
Mike

The dash has what appears to be an overlay for the speedometer. No big deal, unless the odometer would have been rolled back a few thousand miles while they installed the overlay.

The paint looks way too good for original paint. However, the emblems are in the correct locations, which doesn't happen too often after a repaint.

The exhaust isn't stock, unless someone just welded chrome tips on the stock tailpipes. Who knows.

Too bad there isn't better interior shots or any underhood pics.

The salesman told me that the paint is 8 years old with some imperfections.He sent some interior pics but only of the seats and steering wheel which don't really tell me much.

That place is not far from me I could go look at the car for you and if they let me go through it and take detailed pics. Let me know what you want looked at and I will check it out for you.

Great!...ask for Matt Harbold.He's the salesman I've been chatting with.Sounds like a nice guy..not too pushy.Check to see if they have paperwork that helps solidify their mileage claim and what the interior and paint looks like.I know they've had this GN for awhile.They also have a GNX in stock but that's out of my league.Let me know what I owe you for your time.Take pics of console and seats,engine bay.

Thanks

I will see what I can do and are there any areas of concern you might have about the car? Anything mechanically you specifically want checked out? I will be sure to get pics of the interior and engine in great detail.

Just let me know what your gut instincts tell you.Would you purchase this GN for yourself?...is it worth my 10 hour drive to go take a look at it.Does it look like a GN that has been well maintained?

Thank you

TO Beast TR:
did you get a chance to look at he GN at the Toy Barn yet?

Thanks

Mike

i went and checked it out on sun. the dealership was closed so i couldn't open the hood, but the interior looks nice. seats are in great shape, as is the carpet. got 2 aftermarket gauges right below the 'turbo3.8litre' badge on the right side of the steering wheel. a 145 speedo. paint looks good, badges are too low tho, (only 1-1.5"). undercarriage is solid, looked real good. aftermarket 'gnx' style exhaust. (dual pipes/mufflers after the cat, which was intact.) those chrome tips are just screwed on to the tailpipes. aftermarket antenna too, looks like it is power, but def not stock. sorry i couldn't check out the rpo tag or under the hood. as it sits in this economy, i'm not sure its worth 18 and change, but it certainly looks to be a solid car. given the market and that its at a dealer i would offer real low and dicker with them a lil. but, at least from the exterior inspection i did, it looks to be a solid, stock good condition car. sorry again i couldn't look at it in any more depth, but i hope this helped a little.

I went and checked it out also as I work right around the corner from them...literally. not sure I can add anything more then what was already mentioned but if you're in the market for as close to stock gn as possible then this might be the ticket. I think it's a tad over priced but i'm sure you can haggle.

FWIW the owner of the dealership is a son of a local honda dealership owner here and has had a few GN/TR's come through, a couple syclones and a typhoon prior to this GN he's listed now.

Thanks to you both.It's a 10-11 hour drive for me so getting a heads up to see if it's worth the drive is really appreciated.Please let me know what I can do for your time.I can do paypal.Is $30 bucks each sound right?..I don't want to come off as cheap,so please let me know if this amount is okay.

Thanks

Mike

Save it for gas money. I don't mind helping out a fellow board member find a buick. :cool:

If you say so...I really don't mind.By the way,how much would you offer initially as a starting point?

Mike

same thing fatgnat said for me! save your money, hoss. i went as much for my own pleasure as i did to help out a fellow TB'er, just seeing a GN at a dealership gets my blood pumping.. its almost pathetic lol.

as far as starting point... drive it first, obviously. i've only ever bought 1 TR but i've been following the market for several years. in april of 08, i paid 10,200 for my WE4. i know its not a GN, but it was BONE stock when i got it and had 51,xxx original miles on it. the GN package probably makes it a little more valuable, its at a dealership means more $$ to start (plus TTL if/when you decide to buy it) and its now 3 yrs older with ~7k less miles... given the scenario, i'd start offensively low, 11kish maybe. worst they can say is no plus if you wanna get it for 15 starting at 14 isn't gonna get you there. you're in a kinda rough spot, given that its hard to walk away and come back when you're 10 hrs away. its all up to you, man. however, personally i don't think i'd pay much more than 15 for it. is it worth more than that? probably. but not in the current market. are they willing to haggle over the phone with you? might help your case if you tell them your situation and your 'top dollar' that you're willing to pay before the drive.. just a thought.

i'm sure other, more educated folk can chime in too on this subject lol

ps: if you do make it up here to check it out, gimme a shout! if i'm in the area i'd love to grab a beer. 6bquick@gmail.com holler and i'll give ya my cell number.
Talon

I see this mentioned in other 'for sale' threads and it's worth what the market will bear, if I can beat a cliche'd horse to death.

good thing for you is you know your budget and it's a buyers market right now as prices are soft. If you're serious, I'd come in high enough to let them know you are serious as I'm sure there are a lot of lookers but still room to haggle.

I'll take a shot and say 15-16k will get it. I know some dealers will send a car to auction to 'test the waters' and sell if it's not moving on the lot.

I'll say this, it's clean and this place caters to folks with disposable income for 'toys', hence the name and is located in an affluent section of town if that means anything at all.

Best of luck either way on your TR adventures!!