GN headliner kit? Not pre-assem unit

I haven't been able to find a do-it-yourself for replacing my GN hardtop headliner. I checked G-body and searched around but all I found was pre-assem ones, all the other "kits" do not have the correct step down foam. Any ideas???

Cars inc have the headliner material. Did mine with it and was very happy with the results. Great guys to deal with too.

I see the headliner material but did you replace the foam?? I have read you are suppose to scrap it off, put the new foam down (so the new headliner material will stick for awhile) then put down the new material.

The material is 1/8" foamed backed..Yes, scrap off all the old deteriorated foam off the headliner backer board.

GC

So how do you get the "step-down"? Double stack it and trim or just don't worry about it and leave it flat??

I think I know what you mean...It should be in the contour(shape) of the backer board.

GC

You will be light years ahead if you just buy an ABS precovered headliner.I paid $129 for mine in Jan.

I looked at them but $189 + shipping+ oversize. Only reason I'm asking a friend of mine does interiors for custom hot rods. He said I bring him the stuff and he can do it for $50, or he can order the materials and pay a bit more. If it in the contour I'm good, just needed to know.

Did mine myself but you have to be really meticulous with the removal of the old stuff on the board. Time consuming, but if you take your time the results are great.
Looking back, if someone would have done mine for $50, I would have sat back with a drink and happily let them do it.

NOS4GN has them for sale

Headliner A - Hard Top
Brand New ABS Grey Headliner-Hard Top
We carry 2 different grey headliners. One is an IN STOCK item $159.00, and the other is a made to order item $179.00. Both of these grey colors are popular and go with our interior seat covers. Read on for additional details:

1)This listing which is IN STOCK,Sku# HL-CCP, $159.00 - A silver grey which is similar in color to the silver/grey color seen on the inner portion of an original GN seat cover

2)A different listing which is a made to order headliner, Sku# HL-SAH, $179.00. A blue/grey, which collectors have selected as the BEST match to the actual/original grey found on the original color headliners/visors: Headliner B Hard Top

Price: $149.00

See more details
Add to Cart

i went to a fabric store and got my headliner material it only cost me $15 and it matched well.

If reusing the original board, the old foam can be removed w/ a wire brush. [By hand, of course.]

I tried to different replacement headliners pre-made, and neither fit right. Finally bought the material kit from Jax and did it myself. Looks great. This works very well as long as your backerboard isn't damaged.

When stripping down an original board make sure to use 3m adhesive remover. If not it will drop.

After the 1st we will be running a headliner & interior sale. We are buying bulk pallets of headliners again.
We are also having a local company trying to make up boxes to accomodate the headliners in order to get the shipping down. Right now all the boxes measure 130"

Keep in mind there are 2 manufacturers of ABS headliners in the U.S.