GM removed my OIL COOLER

S

Sleeper87

Uhmm ok, they didnt remove it but they disconnected my oil cooler..Is this good or bad...They said i didnt need it....In my own opinion if it came with it....Its used for something....BTW ill show the Dealership whatever you boyz write for a reply so they can understand...So Lemme know...Thanks
Sleeper87

What was the dealer working on?

My first reaction would be, the turbo uses the engine oil for lube and the turbo gets the oil pretty warm.

Besides this, does the dealer have a service bulliten saying to disconnect connect them. How did they plug the oil path. I can't remember if the oil or water is in the lines from the radiator to the oil filter adapter. Otherwise how would they have a clue?

i had a complete engine rebuild done there...i whiped 2 cams out after the rebuild....Im not sure their reasoning...But they plugged it with something....It looks fact lol....But it runs good...I mean well besides the WOT problem....
Sleeper87

After two wiped cams, they did the right thing. You cannot flush these coolers out 100% so trash will invariably make it's way back in to your engine.

I disconnected mine years ago after loosing a couple cam lobes for this very reason.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks
After two wiped cams, they did the right thing. You cannot flush these coolers out 100% so trash will invariably make it's way back in to your engine.

I disconnected mine years ago after loosing a couple cam lobes for this very reason.

Meanbuicks my mechanic did the same thing with mine due to the same reasons. Did you have any problems running with out the oil cooler?

Thanks

Very good questoin, it was my next one ....hehe
Sleeper87

No problems running without them...The 84/5's didn't have them...

Just remove the oil cooler adapter from between the oil pump cover and the oil filter and then screw the new oil filter directly to the oil pump cover...then you can disconnect the oil cooler lines at the cooler in the radiator and plug the fittings on the radiator...

I run a big external cooler. It's a requirement if you run the car hard like I do. Look at the newer cars. More and more are coming factory with an oil cooler. Maybe it's time for a new cooler or an external cooler. The factory didn't spend money anywhere it didn't have to so I think the cooler is a good idea.

when I wiped a cam a couple of years ago I disconnected the oil cooler. From what I've heard, you can't flush it. There is always the chance that there still could be some material inside.

-Banning.

I was told to do the same thing as well because I lost my last motor. My new motor will not use the oil cooler in the radiator.

THANK GOD FOR THIS POST! I am NOT going to use my oil cooler then since I lost 2 motors already due to a spun bearing. I just recently flushed out my oil cooler lines and the oil cooler in the radiator, but after reading this I am going to either buy an external cooler or not use one at all. Thanks for this post!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sleeper87
Uhmm ok, they didnt remove it but they disconnected my oil cooler..Is this good or bad...They said i didnt need it....In my own opinion if it came with it....Its used for something....BTW ill show the Dealership whatever you boyz write for a reply so they can understand...So Lemme know...Thanks
Sleeper87

For more info run a search on this.
If they "disconnect " the oil cooler, make sure they either looped the two oil cooler lines together or removed the oil cooler line ADAPTER behind the filter.

A couple of things to consider:

1984-85 Turbos didn't use an oil cooler, But they also did not generate the same horsepower level (and therfore heat)as 86-87 cars.

If you are going to drive this car, get a new cooler. In my opinion, your turbo will last longer and your engine will be happier.

If this is a Race car, scrap the oil cooler. Take the adapter of the oil filter pad and disconnect the lines. 1/4 mile blasts don't generate enough heat to worry about cooling the oil. Keep the engine coolant temp under control and oil temperature will be OK. Oil temp usually is about 20 degrees hotter than coolant temp. I left it off my race car and it really cleans up the plumbing.

A real good radiator shop can take a serviceable radiator, unsolder the side tank and install a new oil cooler. I would highly recommend this if you have had a failure and want to run the factory cooler. Flushing the cooler, in my opinion is like gambling with your new motor.

Does anyone know where I could purchase the adapter the goes behind the filter? When I bought my car it didn't have one. Any help would be great!

Thanks Brent

1WE4 thats a good question. I have seen the oil cooler lines being sold by turbobuick vendors but i haven't seen the adapter that goes behind the filter F/S. I'm getting a new radiator and i would like to use the oil cooler again.

The adapter that sits between the oil pump cover and the oil filter has been discontinued from GM at least 4 yrs now...I tried to buy one just after I bought my 85 GN so I could run an oil cooler on my "hotair" motor...

I don't know for sure what aftermarket part would work, but there are aftermarket oil cooler adapters available...I just don't know which one is the right one, and never really pursued the matter after I found out the factory one wasn't available...

I stopped using my oil cooler for the same reasons others have stated. I lost a bearing and did not use it because I don't think it can be flushed out completely. I have an oil temp guage. The sender is in the pan. I did not see a huge difference in the temp. Less than 20 degrees. My oil temps are usually around 180-190. I have only seen it over 200 a few times. The car is pretty heavily modded and I drive it like it is meant to be. At the dragstrip, the oil temps are always low as someone else noted. If, I mean when I take the car to the Silver State Classic in Nevada, I will put an air to oil cooler on the car. In usual driving and cruising up to about 90 or so for extended periods, my oil temps do not show a need for a cooler. Just my experience, Worth exactly what I am charging you for it..........