Gm 8.1

Fuelie600

I'm looking at a 4 door dually with this motor. Anyone have any experience running one in their truck? Brian

My parents have a 2001 suburban with this engine in it. It has a hell of a lot of torque and is very good for towing, gets 10-11mpg regardless if your towing or just driving.

I love my truck! I have an 2001 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison. The truck lives between 1000-2000rpm's and pulls like a frieght train. When I bought the truck I drove my old 78 Chev 3/4 w/454 down to the dealership with a trailer. I hooked the old truck and trailer to the new truck and towed it home like nobodies business... It also pulls my race car and buick up mountains at any speed I desire. :) You will not like the gas mileage though. Best I ever got on the highway was 12mph, and around town I get between 6-8mpg.

I love my truck! I have an 2001 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1/Allison. The truck lives between 1000-2000rpm's and pulls like a frieght train. When I bought the truck I drove my old 78 Chev 3/4 w/454 down to the dealership with a trailer. I hooked the old truck and trailer to the new truck and towed it home like nobodies business... It also pulls my race car and buick up mountains at any speed I desire. :) You will not like the gas mileage though. Best I ever got on the highway was 12mph, and around town I get between 6-8mpg.

Thanks for the input. My truck rarely gets use, so I am only slightly concerned with mpg. I usually put less than 3,000 miles yearly, as the truck only comes out to tow (or every few weeks for a joy ride to keep things from setting up). I figure with the economy, gas prices, and my type of use, this is a good time to get a great deal on a big truck. I know i couldn't afford to run this motor as my daily driver. Brian

...and for some reason the 8.1 was rated at a higher tongue weight than the diesel that year. IIRC the rating on the 8.1 was 12,900 and the diesel was 12,800...

01silverado01-1.jpg

Gasser vs Diesel. Love my 05 2500HD CC Duramax/Allison. I drive it about 10K a year. I get 18-19.5 mpg when I drive it to work (mixed city/hwy). I get 22+ running empty on the interstate. I have gotten as high as 25. Pulling my open trailer with a car I get around 16. I like the mpg's.:tongue:
John

You paid what? $5000 extra for that Mitsu engine? And diesel costs how much? "Your honor, I rest my case." :biggrin:

Plus I can't get the fuel burner in the Suburban.

I find it hard to believe that the mileage is that much worse than my 7.4 gasser. I get 13-15 around town and loaded up on the high way. When we hook up the trailer it drops to 10 or so sometimes less in the wind(8 mpg in heavy head wind).

Ya'll must have lead feet.

You paid what? $5000 extra for that Mitsu engine? And diesel costs how much? "Your honor, I rest my case." :biggrin:
you sir in contempt of court for NOT having your facts straight. is is NOT made by Mitsu. it is made by Isuzu.