Getting ready for paint, ?'s

ACLR8R

What parts are needed when painting?
I'm planning on:
-GM in front ($144 from gmpartsdirect), and fiberglass rear bumper fillers ($175 from gbodyparts)
-GM dew sweeps ($117 from gmpartsdirect)
-not sure about side window molding (and how to remove it :confused:)

Any particular things to really look for during the painting process?

They are painting my brothers '70 chevelle right now so I will be able to see their handy work before mine goes in.

Just looking for some tips before it goes in, thanks.

Seals
Door lock gaskets
Door handle gaskets if you remove.
Mirror Gaskets If you remove
Antenna bezel
Emblems
Head light bezels & grill help unless in great shape or you repaint.
Impact strips if needed
Bumperette pads if needed.
Also on the front fillers I thought they were discontinued now.

If you are asking how to remove the outer dew sweeps on the top of the door they are held in with phillip screws.

Make sure you remove all trim & the quarter glass as well.

The best way to do this in my opinion (ie: prep the car) is as follows:

1. Make sure you know what you're getting into (time and expense)- Be prepared to shell out some bucks for a good paint job and body work as well as all the new bits and pieces -weathrstrip is not cheap either - Also, expect that the bodyshop will drag their feet. My last few paint jobs took from 4-6 months...

2. Gut the car. Yes you heard me. Gut it. Pull the interior. I remove everything. (minus the dash)- take out the headliner, door panels, carpet, seats- It will give you the opportunity to clean everything and make repairs and assess everything else. Maybe some POR on the minor rust spots on the inside of the roof... I usually deliver the car with one seat and then take the seat with me. That way they can be sloppy if they want (ie: save time) and not worry about accidents with your interior.

3. Pull all the weather strip, headlight bezels, taillights, door locks and handles, wheel well molding, emblems, grille, etc... Loosen the bumpers or remove all together.

4. The less work the shop has to do the more money and time you will save. You can put the car back together yourself. All you need them to do is make sure it's straight and shoot a nice paint job. I usually let them remove the glass as I don't want to break anything and it's really messy.

Seals (not in to bad of shape)
Door lock gaskets (need them)
Door handle gaskets if you remove. (need them)
Mirror Gaskets If you remove (need them)
Antenna bezel (need it, good catch!)
Emblems (not sure if I'm going to replace them, maybe a couple)
Head light bezels & grill help unless in great shape or you repaint. (good shape, luckily)
Impact strips if needed (Fiberglass front, but will need rear)
Bumperette pads if needed. (Same)
Also on the front fillers I thought they were discontinued now. (It looks like they only have the right side, so I guess your right)

The best way to do this in my opinion (ie: prep the car) is as follows:

1. Make sure you know what you're getting into (time and expense)- Be prepared to shell out some bucks for a good paint job and body work as well as all the new bits and pieces -weathrstrip is not cheap either - Also, expect that the bodyshop will drag their feet. My last few paint jobs took from 4-6 months...

2. Gut the car. Yes you heard me. Gut it. Pull the interior. I remove everything. (minus the dash)- take out the headliner, door panels, carpet, seats- It will give you the opportunity to clean everything and make repairs and assess everything else. Maybe some POR on the minor rust spots on the inside of the roof... I usually deliver the car with one seat and then take the seat with me. That way they can be sloppy if they want (ie: save time) and not worry about accidents with your interior.

3. Pull all the weather strip, headlight bezels, taillights, door locks and handles, wheel well molding, emblems, grille, etc... Loosen the bumpers or remove all together.

4. The less work the shop has to do the more money and time you will save. You can put the car back together yourself. All you need them to do is make sure it's straight and shoot a nice paint job. I usually let them remove the glass as I don't want to break anything and it's really messy.

1. Thats why I am waiting until my brother's is done, so I can see their final product. They have had it 1 month and is getting color today (should be done by Saturday). I have seen some of their less expensive paintjobs and they were pretty good. We are kicking in an extra thousand to get all the gaps perfect, and an extra 3 layers of clear so they can do more wet sanding.

2. I was really trying to avoid pulling the interior, but I might have to.

3.Will do.

4. Its a $3500 flat fee, but I'll try to do as much as possible. My brother has been checking on his twice a day for the last month.

How do you remove the side glass? Is there any way to reuse emblems? How long does it take to remove the interior?

The more you pull the car down, the better the quality job you will have.

Painted the white T with....

All glass out
Doors off
Hood off
Bumpers removed
Qt extensions off
Trunk lid off
Header panel off
Fillers off
Interior completely out

The jams look as nice as the body, you will not get that by leaving stuff like the weather stripping on.

Check the thread out...It's down a few post on this page. "Finally in paint after 1.5 years" If you check the thread out the pics that you see where the widows are masked off, is actually after the car was back together & I was sanding/buffing, trying to keep all the compound out of the inside.

Attachments

• T 10.jpg
    T 10.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 148
  • door vent.jpg
    door vent.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 148
The qtr glass comes out as an assy. Once interior panels are off, you will see the fasteners. There is alot of tar like sealer in there. take your time.