Getting more serious... Gen II, MAFT Pro, suggestions?!

johnnyttype

Hi guys, its been a while since i lasted posted! Spring is here though so its time to start playing with the Buick again :cool:

I want to get your opinions on which setup is best for me as far as tuning goes since i finally have some time and money to treat my car right! What i think im looking for is a setup with wideband A/F tracking, id like to have control over ign timing if possible, i dont want to tune through my scanmaster anymore, and the car is not my daily driver anymore so drivability does not have to be perfect but bearable!

So that being said, what are your suggestions?? The car is way overdue for a wideband O2 so thats going to be a must, everything on the car should be in my signature.. if not ask and i will tell! Im pretty good with computers, iv had engine performances classes in college so im not quite a tuning noob... i understand most of it just havent messed around with it on too many cars, and im not afraid to try something a little more in depth... hth

Thanks in advance,
John

Well, your setup certainly sounds like you have a ton of great parts!!

Which new translator you go with kinda depends on how deeply you'd like to get into hands on tuning.

The GenII will give you more tuning options than your present translator, especially if you compliment it with a matching Extender Extreme G chip. You'll have WOT timing control, and WBO2 control when going WOT, plus better control over fueling in the different load ranges.

The Translator Pro(requires Extender Pro chip) has all the same advantages that the GenII gives you plus some very important additional features.
First and formost is its ability to run speed density mode (NO MAF). It has its own built in VE table.

It can be run in normal MAF mode, I've tried it in MAF mode and it also works great!

It can be your single stage electronic boost controller if you choose to.

It also has the ability to run PTT(part throttle tracking) which means the WBO2 can control it at idle AND cruise, in addition to the WOT tracking. Although, I must add, I have found the stock ECM in closed loop mode provides more precise idle and cruise tracking with the stock O2, and let it use the WBO2 for WOT tracking.

You can also make all the same fuel adjustments in the 3 load regions as the GENII, but also, you can make more precise adjustment in the VE table if you desire.

So it all comes down to how involved you'd like to get in the actual tuning.

I will add however, that assuming all the hookups have been done correctly, and you've ordered the correct Extender to match your setup and Translator model, either unit will generally run great right out of the box.

It's also an unfortunate reality that there have been a few people that have in the past become quite dissalusioned with the Pro. I guess they just didn't like the level of complexity involved. After all, it's called a Pro for a reason.

The beauty of it is that it does much the same as some of the really complex stand alone systems like FAST, etc. BUT, being a piggy back system it allows the stock ECM to maintain control of much of the mundane overhead, while the pro controls the more important mafless/fuel/spark/boost controls.

Based on my personal preference, I would retain the MAF and go with a power logger and TT 6.0 chip, with the option of lean cruise and closed loop idle added to the chip. You can go with any wideband, but my favorites are the NGK afx, AEM or, LC-1. Timing and fueling can be controlled with the gas pedal programming to suite your needs. You can go to turbotweak.com and read about the chip if you dont know about it.

You can use your normal translator, but the Gen II will allow to tune the MAF in better if you have rich or lean area's on cruise or WOT. If you do buy it, get the backlight option, as its hard to read sometimes at night.

The way the chip works it uses the factory o2 for part throttle operation to MAXIMIZE MPG and once the MAF hits 240 or so grams the wide band fueling kicks in adding or subracting fuel to your programed a/f target. Or you can go Turbodave's method, it will work quite well also, but is a bit more complex, and you will lose BLM features:)

Coming into this i was looking into the GEN II, appropriate extender chip, LC-1 or NGK afx, and some sort of new boost controller because my current one seems unresponsive :confused:

Ill have to read up on the 6.0tt chip... i believe my current is a 5.6, its pretty good but without a wideband i feel like im pissing into the wind! Im not sure if i would be able to tackle the MAFT Pro and speed density... then again once i decide to void my warranty on my cobalt ss using hp tuners, i might be much more familiar :p

One of the biggest things that annoys me is if i roll into the throttle on the highway the car will have a tip-in detonation, might go away, might not if i stay on it... i have a feeling it has a lot to do with the tune?!

Your alky is not coming on fast enough, probably causing the knock. Have you tried messing with it? No matter which way you go you must spend the bucks and get a Power logger and a wide band. The maftpro has boost control built in too if you go that route.

oh... no i have not messed with that, i remember there are 2 adjustments on the box right??

And i guess i did leave something off... i do have a powerlogger just my old laptop had the software on it and for some reason they didnt get along! I have to find my disc and load it top my new laptop and get the updates downloaded

Yes 2 adjustments, check the alky section to set it up. I have a complete zip file with an older plc version. You will have to extract all the files to install it to the same directory. Install the drivers 1st before installing the plc.exe.

Attachments

• PLC 1.33 no drivers.zip
    903.1 KB · Views: 86
  • POwer logger Drivers.zip
    814.5 KB · Views: 85
Alrighty, hopefully i will get around to ordering everything i need later this week, and thank you for the zip files... i managed to find my powerlogger CD :cool:

What i think im going to try is the GEN II, Plug n play harness, LC-1 wideband, Extender Extreme chip, and get my powerlogger all sorted out and ready for action! Sound good?! any suggestions on top of this?

Im excited to see how the car will run at the track... especially since she's got 2 fresh headgaskets and a steel clamp holding the fuel pressure vac line on :eek:

Oh, and where is the best place to have the LC-1 bung welded in... the pipes stainless so i cant really do it myself but i have the new stainless dump pipe sitting in my room so could i have it welded there?

Thanks again!!
John

Sure you can put it there as long as you leave the exhaust on after the sensor, it should be installed at the 10 or 2 o'clock position not at 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock position. Don't forget to order the backlight option or you will be "in the dark" reading it at night.

Cool, definitely getting the backlight! So does that mean i cant open my dumppipe after the wideband O2 if its put in the same pipe?

Thanks

You could consider a used classic F.A.S.T, should be around $600-700.

Cool, definitely getting the backlight! So does that mean i cant open my dumppipe after the wideband O2 if its put in the same pipe?

Thanks

if the wideband sensor is too close to the dump, it can read wrong at idle and low speed when the dump is open.

Bob

Your exhaust flows more than enough for your combo, no need to open it up. If your serious about throttle response put the maf after the intercooler but you may not have the room since its not a front mount. Only draw back is oil will mess it up in time if your turbo leaks a bit and you will have to keep it before you alky nozzles.

Your exhaust flows more than enough for your combo, no need to open it up. If your serious about throttle response put the maf after the intercooler but you may not have the room since its not a front mount. Only draw back is oil will mess it up in time if your turbo leaks a bit and you will have to keep it before you alky nozzles.

True statement... when i had a cheap 3" downpipe and stock exhaust elbow off the the turbo on my car only gained .02 in the quarter and almost a mph!

Parts ordered!! Finally found a reason to use my summit racing gift card from christmas :cool:

Thanks guys, im really excited and will probably have plenty of questions come install time and setup... hopefully i can get it all setup before the huge car show in Ocean City, Md :biggrin:

GEN 2, plug and play harness, LC1 wideband, extender extreme chip... ill see how i like it and go from there!