Getting close to the end me thinks.

texasmr2

Max has been with me since 2007 when I rescued him lost and lonely. He has been the best of companions and has lived a life of luxury filled with love but recent sign's have caused concern so I took him to the vet and he has an abdominal mass. I have yet to receive the results from his x-ray session but in dog years he is pushing 90 and when he does not eat that is a sure sign he is not well.

We do not know if the mass is cancerous. I have made my peace with God because loss has been ongoing for many years and I have personal experience with the 'loss of quality of life' and humans are selfish in their grieving, wanting to hold on. No decision has been made of how we should progress.

thumbS3I4OH7V.jpg

I feel your pain . I had to let go of my Max , a Siberian husky we had since a puppy . He also stopped eating , real weak , and looked very depressed . It was very difficult to let him go , but like you said , his quality of life was poor . I still miss him .
2007-halloween (1).jpg

Last edited:
My Max was a Jack Russel Terrorist. I rescued him in spring of 07 I think. He was with me for seven years or so. Had him put down when he wouldn't come out of a seizure. Ended up rescuing a cat from the vet. I have never been a cat person but this one thinks she is a dog so it's alright.

The circle of life should not be taken lightly. Our animal companions often treat us, their human companions, with more love and respect than the people in our lives. I take comfort in knowing that Max has received all the love we could muster and I just want him to know his place in my heart and my mothers heart has been a blessing.

Heck we may have a few more years left on our plate but I will read the signs and the final choice is his decision, it will show in his eye's.

Back in 2010 I accidentally ran over my beagle mix with my work van, he hobbled himself over a snowbank and into my back yard into a corner to die leaving a trail of blood in the snow. I scooped him up put him in my lap and drove to the nearest emergency vet 1/2 hour away. Racked up a $5000 bill to fix broken hip torn intestine linings & other issues, never regretted the decision to spend the dough & completely understand peoples emotional attachment with their pets :happy:
IMG_20161022_165512365.jpg
IMG_20161025_185546057.jpg

The hardest thing I ever had to do was put my Rottweiler Turbo down. I got him in 01 and he was the coolest thing I ever had. A lot of people from here have met him. He needed neck surgery when he was seven and he had a spleen issue and then when he was a little over ten years old he came down with cancer in his paw. We had the leg taken off which I thought was the worst thing I could have done until he woke up the next day and hopped right over to us like nothing was wrong. The cancer came back in his chest wall 6 months later and there was nothing that could be done. Now I got tears in my eyes.
I loved that dog like crazy and miss him every day. I will pray that Max gets better. They live short little lives so spoil them while they are here.

I had to put my dog of 15 years down in 2005. It was oh so very hard.
I still get a tear in my eye when I talk about her.

Anyways.
Recently my sister's dog wasn't eating.
She is 10 years old or so.
They found a tumor in the belly.
It was cancer.
They paid for surgery.
4k$ or so.
The dog made it!!!
It's been a year and she is perfectly fine.

Anyways. It's your call but there is always a chance they can survive.

I loved my dog but I don't know if I could spend $5k on here.

I can always save a life in the pound and have my cash.

Tough decision. Good luck.
D

We are still waiting on the vet who is still waiting on the radiologist diagnosis. Max still has good years ahead of him if the mass is benign but the truth will not be fully answered without surgery or at least blood work. He is still not eating but as the vet said the mass or tumor is pushing things around so he is most likely 'backed up', are there doggy laxatives? :D

Yes after turbo had his surgery it was over a week I called the doc and he gave me a syringe with nitroglycerin. This is gross but we laid down plastic lubed him up with latex gloves and inserted plastic and plunged. Within minutes we helped him up to go out because he couldn't walk from spinal cord injury worked great

Texasmr2 god bless you and Max. I was reading this thread while having lunch at my desk, I shouldn't do that it turned into crying in my lunch. Same here as a lot of others I had Gizmo (A Shih tzu) for 15 years and he developed cancer and had a growth just under his chest he went completely limp and he could no longer walk He was still awake but could do nothing but lay there. His quality of life was gone. I took him to the Vet but there was nothing that could be done besides putting him to sleep. Doc gave him a shot while he was in my arms and he just quietly went to sleep. This was the hardest damn thing I have ever had to do.. I brought him back home and buried him in the back yard in a small fenced in area. This was 5-6 years ago and I still miss him.

I don't have a pic of Gizmo on my PC but here is a pic of my Maxwell (Max for short), he is now 4 yrs old. Him and Gizmo could have been twins. They look a lot alike. Also here is a pic of Stewie with Santa he is about 10.

Max.jpg
Max.jpg

Stewie.jpg

I am fawking livid! :mad:

This vet clinic said we would have an x-ray evaluation by the end of business yesterday but when I called them at 1:30pm today they said the results have not been evaluated yet, WTF! I pay you $363 with the promise, spoken words in TX cement a verbal contract that will be held up in a court of law, I would receive results within hours, 24hr's later and nothing!

My family has been using this vet clinic since the '70's but after the OG vet retired they go through vets and staff like toilet paper. I tried to file a complaint with the BBB but it seems the 'crook' has to be a BBB member, am I correct?

I am fawking livid! :mad:

This vet clinic said we would have an x-ray evaluation by the end of business yesterday but when I called them at 1:30pm today they said the results have not been evaluated yet, WTF! I pay you $363 with the promise, spoken words in TX cement a verbal contract that will be held up in a court of law, I would receive results within hours, 24hr's later and nothing!

My family has been using this vet clinic since the '70's but after the OG vet retired they go through vets and staff like toilet paper. I tried to file a complaint with the BBB but it seems the 'crook' has to be a BBB member, am I correct?

The BBB is run by companies and they can’t really harm a company. Just basically bad mouth you in a sense.

The Attorney General is a government agency that could do something depending on the situation but they are usually overpaid douchebags that do nothing.

Good luck man.

D

UPDATE: Got a second opinion just to be safe and the diagnosis via the x-rays revealed a mass on his spleen that is the size of a large Orange. Tomorrow he goes in for an ultrasound which will reveal more. If more masses are found that means it is spreading and is most likely cancer.

Well it seems my baby Mr. Max will not be keeping me inline much longer. He contracted the cancer which continues to spread. I am trying my best to stay strong. :(

My shadow, Mr. Shadow da cat, senses things are different so he is cuddling with me more.