Gerotor timing covers

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I don't know who has the means to pull this off but KendallF already made 1, actually 2 but the first one warped in fab. The basic idea is that the later 3800 motors use a crank driven gerotor pump, just like Mopars and the new LSX motors. Amazingly the front cover designs are very simular. Kendall just hacked a pair of stock covers and welded the 3800 bottom onto the 3.8 top. I already contacted him about this and basically was told if you want it, do it yourself. Well I can't weld Al but I know many of our vendors can and even have access to casting facilities. Kendall has pictures of his fab stuff but I don't want to step on him by directly linking it in. We all know the stock Buick oiling sucks, why not go with a better pump design rather than bandaid it with hi volume pumps that potentially load the crank nose down.

Just a request fromt he peanut gallery,

can someone give me kendals e-mail or ph#. I would like to look into this closer, it is a possability.

Wow... just the man I wanted to look into this. I called TA and they said they'd heard of it, agreed it was a good idea but they were busy with other things for the time being. Jason, I hope as a fellow machinist Kendall will be more willing to work with you, I'd really like to see this work out for us.

Thanks,

Yes :cool:
unfortunately I'm not sure the Duttwieler oiling system that takes out most of the 90º bends will work with the new style oil filter adapter of the gerotor front cover as is. The spur gear type pump isn't the best design but its cheaper than a gerotor but that has been changing over the years as manufacturing costs go down and casting technology improves. I'd like to see this work though its a bit more involved than just a front cover, the drive for the gerotor is the crank snout so the drive gear must be keyed to the snout or to machined flats on the balancer.
I'm about to buy a junk timing cover for a 3800 Series II and compare it to the busted timing cover off of my 4.1.