General Boost Questions

F

Four-Four-Two

I'm kinda all over the place on this one, so please bear with me.

My car is set at the stock boost levels right now, which I though was 13psi. Next week, I am installing a Hooker 2.5" exhaust with a test pipe. I have heard that you pick up a few extra pounds of boost when you install the system over the restrictive stock one. Am I going to see say 16 or 17 pounds of boost, or will the un-modified wastegate keep it at 13?

Also, I am going to get a Thrasher 92 chip for the street. If I get it set for 17 psi, will I have to adjust the wastegate rod to see 17 psi, or does the chip do that automatically?

boost

The chip should regulate it to 17psi if you have everything in place stock although you may have to tweek it a little but you should be Ok.

Actually i just installed the same exhaust...I love it....i picked up a Few lbs....But with that thrasher chip ur talking about i push 20psi :eek: so im guessing that u have to get or make an adjustable wastegate actuator.....To calm the boost levels down...I will be installing a Racetronix *Walboro* Fuel pump kit wit hotwire kit also this week sometime....I also have th 237 Reg so fuel is a important thing from what everyone tells me
Sleeper87

Regulate?

The chip can't "regulate" boost, since there is no boost signal fed to the ECM. Chip burners change the cycles for the waste gate solenoid, to increase/decrease boost over "stock", but that's it, just an increase or decrease. You have to have an adjustable waste gate, or an adjustable boost control, to set the boost you want, along with an accurate boost gage to make sure you got it. You don't get boost numbers with a Turbolink, or DirectScan, since the info isn't in the data stream. Well, you can add a MAP sensor, and replace another data stream, but that's another story. As waste gate control gets old, the spring gets weak, and the boost goes down, so a "stock" waste gate will give less boost now than it did 15 or twenty years ago.